Do you want BATTERY 5?

Options

Comments

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 161 Advisor
    Options

Everything NI seems broken lately... It looks like they don't understand we don't need new toys, or n+1 updates, we need working, reliable tools.

On my new M1 pro macbook, Battery 4 is unreliable, buggy and the workflow is absurd. Battery 4 was released in 2013. What did they do until now ? We don't need Battery 5, we just need a functionnal Battery 4.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 175 Advisor
    Options

It isn't just Maschine. It's the 1st-Party or Stock [Drum] Samplers in/for many DAWs. DMD, Groove Agent, Drum Racks, Impact XT, Sampler Track, Simpler, Mimic, Quick Sampler, etc. Its only value - to me - is direct access to Native Instruments' catalog of Expansion Content - except the browser in Battery 4 is pretty doodoo, so even then I avoid it and just drag and drop samples/loops from Komplete Kontrol to another [Drum] Sampler, instead...

For certain genres of music, Battery 4 is practically unusable as a Drum Sampler due to a lack of features needed for producing a specific sound characteristic.

This is a waste of time since anyone can simply use Maschine 2 (or MPC 2 - whichever you own/have access to) as a plug-in to get all of this. They probably shouldn't waste resources doing this, and I wouldn't even want them to. Maschine basically encapsulates the same tech as Battery (actually, probably even better/more up-to-date components). It just layers a sequencer on top of it. So, use that instead?

On the eve of 2024, I don't think PC resources should be a factor for using Maschine/MPC as a plug-in (though some may not like how dense they can be in that scenario... similar to using FL Studio as a plug-in).

You can already do this. Use a single Komplete Kontrol Instance in Logic Pro for finding and auditioning samples/loops and drag and drop them from the Komplete Kontrol browser to wherever you want to use them. Definitely works on Windows. I'll have to double check on my MBP with Logic Pro, when I have some free time.

It's the only reason and manner in which I ever use Komplete Kontrol.

• iNate
    Options

Maschine is bundled with all NI controller hardware. Even the M32 bundles Maschine Essentials.

You don't need expensive Maschine controllers to obtain it.

• BezowinZ
    BezowinZ Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • Jedilaw
    Jedilaw Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

For kit previews in Battery you can use the browser in Maschine 2.x. The same may be true of Komplete Kontrol, as Maschine and Komplete Kontrol appear to have the same browsing system, but I've never specifically tried to use it for drum kits.

• alpha-w
    alpha-w Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I own Battery and I own Maschine (Mikro), but for me it is absolutely not redundant. Machine is a rhythm maker tool and as such it is extremely cool and useful, especially with the 100 expansions.

Battery is for me a drum player to be used in my DAW (Cubase). I can use Maschine as a VST instrument there, but then I have to program the whole track in Maschine and if I change my song then I have to change the song in Maschine in parallel. Therefore I use Maschine to create a base rhythm and when I start recording a song then I use Battery. And if a drumset is not available in Battery then I create a wav and use the wav in Cubase.

So both products are important, there is nothing redundant in it, depends on your personal use case.

• alpha-w
    Options

First: I am using Battery 4, which is the product I have paid for.

But I would be happy about a Battery 5 with an enhanced UI and additional features. I miss rhythmic usage of effects (reverb, delay, pitch, distortion, etc.), Function modules like in MassiveX, gated reverb, additional features to influence the sound, additional Distortion, filter types, etc.

• alpha-w
    Options

Additional useful features:

Auto-assignment of the cells to MIDI keys. sometimes this is extremely cumbersome, if you are working with self created kits.

Or setting the same sample on different cells with different tune setting.

Basically the concept of Massive/MassiveX with modulation control would be perfect in Battery

And I realized that for self created kits drag and drop of cells does not work. I have to mouse-right-click, cut and paste it in the new cell - don't know, why drag&drop is not working everytime.

• iNate
    Options

I'm getting at this snippet from the post I replied to: "As someone who doesn't have a Maschine, not at all redundant."

My point is, if you own any NI hardware (except maybe "just an audio interface") you likely have access to Maschine 2 software as a bundle. You may not have the full Maschine Factory Library, but you will at least have the full Maschine 2 software and it will have the same access to the NI Expansion content that Battery 4 does.

The only advantage Battery 4 has over Maschine 2, is a more minimalist UI.

Battery, FM8, Massive and REAKTOR are all in maintenance mode. NI is not going to invest in adding features to them. Once people understand this, they should look to alternative products to provide the functionality and workflow they need.

For creating one's own kits, I don't see a point in using Battery 4. Just use the Drum Sampler in your DAW - which, often, is better than Battery 4 - and generally more reliable re: long-term support and feature development than NI's instrument.

I can't see a reason why a Cubase user would want to use Battery outside of loading in Stock/Expansion kits, though. Groove Agent SE 5 is a much better workflow in that DAW (Mixer Integration, MediaBay Support, Send to Sampler Track, etc.).

• Simon A. Billington
    Simon A. Billington Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Not so much into the machine echo system myself, it does what my DAW already does. An upgraded Battery I would go for though

• DominicIsidore
    DominicIsidore Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

All of the sounds in battery are awesome! I would LOVE a Battery 5 as I have a large 4K monitor and it is TINY and very hard to see. I also wish they could incorporate more combining their and your own samples and tools to customize them. (I know there are workarounds, but I'd like a better solution).

• BezowinZ
    BezowinZ Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I have KK S61 MK2. No Maschine 2 in my account.

The 2nd replay wasn't to me, but I'd have to recreate all of my Battery kits in GA SE 5. Not sure what Cubase features would benefit me much for that effort. And I'd lose the KK control.

• alpha-w
    Options

Same here. I own Maschine AND Battery and I use BOTH, but for different workflows.

I would appreciate a Battery 5 and recently invested money for Battery kits (Komplete 14 Ultimate Collectors Edition). Have you ever tried to use Maschine in Cubase in an existing arrangement? Can I use all these kits in Steinberg Groove Agent?

Battery 5 could have an improved UI, additional on board effects, and with modulation features like MassiveX it would become an absolute outstanding drumsampler with the possibility to create living rhythms.

I am NI customer since Komplete 2, but not sure, if I will be still a customer when Battery will completely be dropped, that's one of my main instruments from NI.

Sorry.

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 170 Advisor
    edited December 2023
    Options

If NI decides to drop Battery I would expect them to repack and rebrand the libraries as expansions and/or Kontakt-based instruments… if they haven’t already.

• alpha-w
    Options

Basically I agree :)

But what I wanted to say: Maschine does not really replace Battery for work in a DAW. Handling of Maschine is a bit more complex than just having one or two Battery instances.

IMHO