Do you want BATTERY 5?

Options

Comments

• User Who Wants Support
    User Who Wants Support Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Just another longtime Battery user disappointed in the lack of progress on a resizable UI and a better browser with good, well-documented keyboard shortcuts. I'd be willing to jump to Triaz or something else if I can manage to bring all my Battery kits (and not just the samples) with me. Stating the obvious to NI: if I leave I won't be back.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,063 Guru
    Options

"Stating the obvious to NI: if I leave I won't be back"

Cannot imagine they will care whether you leave. And it's is super easy to recreate any Battery kit with today's modern tools.

There is a new thread on the boards here within the last week or so from NI's chief product officer - Simon:

March 2024 – a community update from our Chief Product Officer — Community (native-instruments.com)

Where he does a deep dive on where NI is going and unfortunately there is nary a mention about Battery. There is lots of excitement in many other main areas of NI for sure.

Now of course - anything is possible - but if NI had any angles on Battery - it probably would have garnered a mention by Simon.

I would rather push forward with newer, more capable tools and keep creating (using Battery samples if that's what it takes) instead of waiting around for a new Battery version.

VP

• Milkman
    Milkman Member Posts: 218 Advisor
    Options

Sounds like NI dont care if a large segment of their original customers leave, yes. There is a fresh, young marketplace of consumers out there <tents fingers together, snickers like Mr Burns> who have no idea what has transpired with these brands over the last 20 years and will "fake news" any cautionary wisdom that tells them to think before buying, so they are the new target audience.

On the bright side, I got Triaz working well, my mk3 is in midi mode every session now, and I am definitely not coming back to maschine.

Summary of my experience with NI over the last 18 months or so, since the PE acquisition stuff:

At first I was like uhhhhhhhg : ( but then later, after doing the work to find other vendors, I was like yayyyy! : )

• Vocalpoint
    Options

"Sounds like NI don't care if a large segment of their original customers leave, yes"

Well - I do not think any company really "wants" to lose customers - we will always decide what we will do.

Lots of folks also do not seem to realize that when Battery "was" the king (say from 2006-2011) - the landscape was much different than today. It was really the only game in town like that back then.

Today - IF a Battery 5 were ever to emerge and regardless of it's former pedigree - would still face very stiff competition in today's hyper-inflated instrument market.

Maybe NI knows this and simply does not want to invest the time, talent and resource it would take to redo this thing.

Or - maybe NI knows it's much easier to gain a new customer here in 2024 than to try to retain an old "original" one.

In the business world (and especially with the current venture partner owners of NI) - it does not really matter where that dollar comes from - just as long as it arrives.

VP

• Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 163 Advisor
    edited April 11
    Options

Better options out there now (that's what happens when companies get lazy and don't update products and listen to their users). I personally haven't used or missed battery for 5 years or more. NI really need to up their game if they want to keep their existing customer base or attract new ones.

• Milkman
    Options

Its simple, easy to explain, and easy to see: NI are consolidating. Why support Battery, Maschine, and Kontakt, when you can honestly just build, support, sell Kontakt? When you can force 3rd party vendors to either agree to your terms, or stop building NKS instruments?

Sample-based instruments dont need a bunch of UIs. Just stuff it all into custom Kontakt facades, do the 9 for $99, and awayyyyy we goooooo $$$.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 187 Advisor
    edited April 13
    Options

Battery is no different from other samplers when it comes to chromatically mapping cells to the keyboard. They all do that.

The big difference is that Battery does not have Banks, so it has to display all cells on one page. It does that by necessity. Other Drum Samplers don't need to do this because they are designed differently.

Many use an MPC-Style Pad Arrangement - Multiple Banks of 16 Pads. But the keyboard mapping is still the same. Chromatically starting at C0.

This post makes no sense.

The same users complaining about NI not "valuing" their users are the same users who will sit and take everything and never leave. NI has no reason to take these people seriously. They aren't going anywhere.

The people who cared about Battery being developed are already gone. It's just not a competitive drum sampler in 2024.

They won't accept any alternatives within the company's own product line, either. It's just endless amounts of cope mixed in with weird circular arguments and complaints.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 187 Advisor
    edited April 13
    Options

That's true for almost everything except Kontakt, which is why most of their development is on:

1. Native Access 2
    2. Komplete Kontrol
    3. Kontakt

Supposedly, a major Maschine update is due this year, which makes sense, considering their Maschine hardware ecosystem.

I can't personally think of a single person that bought any Native Instruments plug-ins or virtual instruments outside of a Komplete Bundle. Most of what I see people buying are Expansion Packs and Play Series Instruments when they target a genre they produce. Mostly it's Komplete for Kontakt and as a sort of bread-and-butter buffet of instrument libraries.

I barely consider their other stuff usable on a HiDPI display. Battery, Massive, FM8, REAKTOR, over half of the Effects, etc. All super small unless I scale my entire display up so much that I mind as well just throw a 1080p display on it (QHD at best).

I have good, young eyes and that stuff is torture to look at. It's like ergonomics as a concept doesn't even rate at this company.

• Rectro33
    Rectro33 Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I think considering the high price of Battery 4 as a individual plugin it should in the least get a update to VST3 as many work on 4k screens now or on smaller laptops screens. Altering the dpi that makes your screen blured and loose the scale of the DAW is not a viable option.

Either drop the price of Battery 4 or get working on 4 or v5.

Arturia seems to have fine tuned all their plugins to a higher level to be consistent in their UI, usability and integration for the modern day musician.

• Vocalpoint
    edited April 19
    Options

This would not be an "update" - this would be a full scale "rewrite" to get rid of all the old code to allow the UI to properly exist on a 4K screen.

If that was a priority - it would have happened by now.

As far as Arturia - they are not dealing with old tired code. They moved all their products to modern dev years ago making their UI efforts much easier to update.

VP

• Richard Vetro
    Richard Vetro Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

That's very interesting.

I would want a Maschine without the Sequencer.

I like how the sounds/groups and master all have insert fx slots for native and 3rd party VST's.

I would also prefer if it would host more then 16 pads.

Although if they just added VST inserts per Pad/Key in Kontakt then it would do the exact same thing.

• SaschaFranck
    SaschaFranck Member Posts: 78 Helper
    Options
  • Milkman
    Options

No, it makes perfect sense. After a PE acquisition, consolidation is a general process of streamlining revenue, and that is what NI and their new bosses are doing. If you study markets, and in particular PE before/during/after, you are hard pressed to find a single example of this sort of investment making a brand or product better. They almost always become less valuable (to the customer), more burdensome and rent-seeking (to the customer), and in the end the investor sucks all the real value out, deflates the company, and sells it off as a hollow shell of what it once was.

Show me an example of where PE acquired something, then made it better. lol. One example. In the world.

• Vocalpoint
    edited May 2
    Options

"After a PE acquisition, consolidation is a general process of streamlining revenue, and that is what NI and their new bosses are doing. If you study markets, and in particular PE before/during/after, you are hard pressed to find a single example of this sort of investment making a brand or product better."

Bang on here.

If anyone still thinks the NI of 2024 is the same one who built Battery and all the other cool tools of yesteryear - need to adjust their world view and expectations.

The NI of today is looking to slash, cut and retire anything that "creates" overhead while propping up (just barely) the five or 6 big things left that do make cash in the NI stable. Not too hard to see what those are.

The days of creating a new Battery or a Reaktor 7 are long gone. This PE firm is not interested in spending money on some "cool" new project that will take 3 years to bring to market especially if it generates "overhead" vs leaning on those easy wins that generate straight up sales and profit.

VP

• SaschaFranck
    SaschaFranck Member Posts: 78 Helper
    edited May 3
    Options

"The days of creating a new Battery or a Reaktor 7 are long gone. This PE
    firm is not interested in spending money on some "cool" new project
    that will take 3 years to bring to market especially if it generates
    "overhead" vs leaning on those easy wins that generate straight up sales
    and profit."

You are missing that cool products make up for some "coolness factor". Which is important when you want to keep people interested in this very business or attract new customers, especially these days. It might not generate direct sales but it will likely attract people to your entire portfolio. Just as what happened with me - it's why I own a Rig Kontrol, a Kore Kontrol and a Maschine (all not really working with my OS anymore, but anyway…). Plus a Komplete Ultimate bundle.

Will not happen again, there's more interesting companies.

And fwiw, as far as Battery goes, there's plenty of folks looking for alternatives - and they would absolutely not do that in case it was maintained properly.