Do you want BATTERY 5?

Options

Comments

• The Sarge
    The Sarge Member Posts: 125 Helper
    Options

please tell us, who from NI official says, that Battery, FM8, Massive and Reaktor are in Maintenance-mode and where is the info from that this means, they go discontinued in the near future, thanks!

• Rico010
    Rico010 Member Posts: 103 Advisor
    Options

Well, yes, I need Battery 5. I own both Maschine+ and Battery. And use both 50/50. I use Maschine+ standalone only. And I use Battery with my preferred DAW.

Battery shines in the scenario when I need my Maschine library/kits in my DAW. I don’t want to be tied to Maschine with my DAW, nor I want to connect it to my DAW. I have a separate DAW controller for this.

All depends to the use case. So it’s up to NI to measure stats and make a decision. I already made my decision :)

• Rico010
    Rico010 Member Posts: 103 Advisor
    Options

Strategically, if we look to mid-term, next 3 years of NI will be dark either way. Some products will be abandoned, some discontinued, some transformed. Not all user will be happy. Will that be a new era, or a disaster… we will only know in 3-5 years.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,839 mod
    Options

Fair enough, I think if there was a Battery 5 I would certainly want it to include the Synth drum modules from Maschine though, personally I prefer synth drums to samples sometimes and Battery 5 would be a powerhouse if it had both, and also a drum sequencer.

• feed.exe
    feed.exe Member Posts: 29 Newcomer
    Options

No, just want fixed battery 4

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 187 Advisor
    Options

It really needs at least just a HiDPI UI.

Moved to 4K displays and 125% scaling on a 27" UHD display (Windows 11) is borderline unusable for Battery 4 and impractical for Massive and FM8 (I uninstalled Absynth 5... no use caring moving forward).

Not scaling up further and not getting bigger screens. My eyes are fine and space is limited. I can use these displays with everything else at 100% scale and have no issue whatsoever. It's scaled up basically only for NI and iZotooe software, which have text that is too small otherwise (or blurry UIs if you force scaling).

Any bigger and I'm better off just putting the faster 1080p displays back on the machines.

2034 and they still haven't addressed this. Its kind of sad.

• iNate
    Options

If you only need to load expansion kits then why is an update needed? It already does that just fine...

Maschine MK3 as a DAW controller makes no sense. Nektar Aruba is a lot cheaper and does that better, while having great pads.

Most DAWs have their own drum samplers and multiple are better than Battery, so its use is - in fearing- limited largely to people loading expansion kits.

HiDPI and a better browser are likely a much bigger deal than Drum Synths.

• iNate
    Options

For Reaktor, this has basically been stated. Go and read the threads from before the Apple Silicon/VST3 update. Massive and FM8... do you really need an answer to that question?

Massive X actually exists, and FM8 is an Absynth 5-era soft synth that has only received xompatibility and maintenance updates. Those products are filler for the Komplete bundle.

• Graffitti1st
    Graffitti1st Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I want Absynth, & pack all 2-5 sounds, presets in 1 ez to tweak well labeled gui

• ekwipt
    ekwipt Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I feel that Battery and Maschine are two separate things and the overlaps justify having them both.

Being able to have so many pads in one window, ran across the keyboards is amazing.

Can Battery utilize the light guides on the Kontrol Keyboards? that would be a great feature!

I think you could look at some of Tal Samplers feature and integrate these as well

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

• catch-22
    catch-22 Member Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 22
    Options

+1

I want Battery 5.

Most important feature would be bug free and scalable GUI. Then many little things that can be improved. For example round robin in the cells itself, not just across multipel cells. That's a total PIA for many scenarios.

It feels like eternity waiting for it.

• Simon A. Billington
    Simon A. Billington Member Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Having Machine replace Battery would be overkill and over complicating something that should be much simpler to use. It's not about the complexity, its about the speed and immediacy of being able to design drums and create a groove.

For those who just need a plugin for drums, Machine isn't the best option.

• oobe79
    oobe79 Member Posts: 93 Helper
    Options

I think you are getting everybody confused. Battery 4 is a piece of software. Specifically, it is a drum sampler. Maschine is a piece of hardware. Its software is NOT bundled with pretty much any of NI's hardware except for, you know, Maschine. I have a brand new MK3 S61 keyboard and Komplete Standard bundle, and I do not have Maschine software.

• oobe79
    oobe79 Member Posts: 93 Helper
    Options

Yes, I want a Battery 5. Or merge it with Maschine software and called it Maschine. I don't care. But, I think it's crazy to say NI should ALREADY HAS abandon Battery or any of its other products. If, as iNate speculates above, NI is simply not interested in maintaining much or any of their software instruments other than shells or wraps like Komplete and Kontakt, then what is even the point of this company? I don't think anyone actually wants NI to become just a sample library company.

So, hell yes, I want NI to support Battery development! And Reaktor. And FM8. And every other damn instrument I just bought and spent hundreds of dollars on.

Battery 5 should:

1. Have a much improved GUI. The purpose of the GUI should allow the user to immediately and intuitively get to work. Battery 4's GUI is a mess and it's boring. I immediately become so uninspired and just depressed thinking of all the tedious ****** I am going to have to do just to get a kit going in my DAW. I barely use it. So, I have 4000 samples for Battery, and basically don't use any of it.
    2. Have a much improved browser functionality. I've already talked about this on another thread, but the browser is just terrible. Somehow, NI chose the worst of two scenarios. It's both too small to be useful and too large to manage it plus the instrument.
    3. Super easy to audition samples.
    4. Be able to scan your sample libraries and use AI automatically sort all the samples into correct folders in your NI sample library and auto-assign tags. The same goes for when you download Expansion packs or even your own custom samples.
    5. Make selecting favorites much easier. The tiny black star that is hidden in the tiny black background is just awful.
    6. Have an AI-assistant that allows spontaneous creation of kits from your sample libraries. Think of UVI's Synthology 4 version that uses AI to combine different synths and tunes them "on-the-fly" to create totally new instruments.
    7. Include a robust drum and percussion synthesis engine that allows for creation of synthetic drums that can either be used in cells or as layers and combines with samples within the cell.
    8. Have better integration with all major DAWs. Battery is not be a stand alone application. It is a plug-in for you DAW, that's it. For example, if I insert Battery as an instrument in Logic Pro and choose an 8 x 8 stereo, why must I have to deal with all the tedious routine of each cell in Battery to the different inputs in Logic? This should be default.

• Simon A. Billington
    Simon A. Billington Member Posts: 52 Member
    Options

If NI were abandoning Battery, or Reaktor for that matter, they would have announced it at the same time they announced Absynth and VST2 support were getting killed off.

Overt the last 6 months or so NI, iZotope and Plugin Alliance have been undergoing a huge transition which would have added further delay to the release of new products.