[NKS] Freelance Soundlabs 3rd Party NKS Libraries for Komplete Kontrol / Maschine

Options

Comments

• Phileosophos
    Phileosophos Member Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Ok, I'm dropping back to v2.9.6 of Komplete Kontrol. The v3.x software is ridiculous. Not only did it take literally all night to re-scan my plugins (I found it hung on the Weiss MM-1 this morning), and more time this morning to finish the process, it now shows me almost none of my instruments which perhaps might be why I don't have any of the user presets for them? I have lots of Cherry Audio synths, for example, and I watched the plugins all get scanned, but they're not available in the KK3 UI at all. And as soon as I rebooted and started the KK3 software again, it started yet another full rescan. I uninstalled the garbage and am now letting the v2.9.6 software do its own full re-scan. Because goodness knows launching the software should always take hours to open it. Sigh...

• Phileosophos
    Options

I don't even know what the "factory hack" is, so I'm guessing I don't have it. What I do know is that all of Jason's stuff worked beautifully last night with KK 2.9.6 and was all missing in KK 3.1.2.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,630 Expert
    Options

NKS libraries will show up even if a plugin is not scanned/installed. NKS has no idea if plugins are installed or not until you launch a preset, then it calls the plugin, if it is not in the scanned list of plugins you get the usual "Plugin not Found" error.

The "Factory Hack" is simply a way to force the user created NKS libraries to appear in the factory tab with everything else, since years of asking NI if we can somehow combine this has basically been ignored, so there is a way to make it appear in the factory library by creating a custom registry entry. I actually created a simple tool to do this for Windows users, never released it tho mostly as I didn't want to have to support it or potentially have it mess up people's libraries without some care. macOS is harder just due to me not knowing how to create a utility for macOS to do the same thing, especially with the over zealous OS security.

Usually i'd try and troubleshoot and nail down issues but with V3 currently I can only suggest, roll back to V2 and if things work, just stick to that.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,812 mod
    Options

As I said that's because it needs to build its database first as it has a separate database from KK2, that can take some time initially but once done they should all be there.

• Phileosophos
    Options

It finished the first full rescan last night around 19:00 PST. That's when I first found all the presets gone after the UI finally appeared after about six hours of scanning. I told it to re-scan everything before I went to bed and watched some of the progress--in particular taking note of how quickly it seemed to index my Cherry Audio instruments--before calling it a night. I got up this morning and found it hung on the Weiss MM-1 plugin and killed the software and restarted it after which it took another half an hour to finish before it finally showed me the UI again. None of my user presets were there. That's when I started writing emails and posting about it. I left the software open and running for a while and tried a few things and only later noticed that it seems many of the instruments I know I saw it scan last night aren't even there.

That's when I hoisted a big middle finger to NI and deleted the software. I've now reinstalled v2.9.6 and maybe in another few hours of letting it rescan everything too--brilliant database handling, that--I can get back to using the tool that's supposed to make my life easier. Honestly, if NI doesn't fix what a complete cluster **** the v3.x software seems to be, I'll be selling my S88 mk2 and ditching their stuff. I should have expected as much from the company that burned all its users by abandoning the Kore platform all those years ago, but I really loved the KK software/hardware until the latest round of "updates".

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,812 mod
    Options

That's a plugin scan - it's the NKS database that needs rebuilding in the standalone before using

• Phileosophos
    Options

So the six hour process to scan isn't building the database? I mean, that's the whole point, isn't it? It's supposed to be ready to use when it's done with the scan that builds the database is my understanding.

• JesterMgee
    Options

There is plugin scanning then there is library scanning.

These are located on 2 separate tabs in preferences.

Plugin scanning scans your actual plugins so they appear in the list of available plugins and if you have many hundreds of plugins, yes this can take hours.

Library scanning under the Library tab scans for NKS files toi build the database of presets and you have a separate tab for Factory/User libraries. Library scanning is a background process so it does it automatically when you open the standalone application (unless you deselect the option) so usually is not needed to do.

• Phileosophos
    Options

Well after roughly six hours of KK 2.9.6 scanning plugins, and then after an hour-plus of building the database, it appeared like I had all my user presets back again. I can browse them from the hardware, and I can see the various vendors and listen to the preview sounds, but whenever I try to load one the software gives me an error telling me it can't load the plugin. When I looked in the preferences / plugins page, the list of plugins is completely empty. I don't understand why after six hours of scanning and an hour-plus of building presets, I still can't use this freaking software. Any suggestions to get it to actually record and use the damn plugins in spends half of my waking day cataloging?

• Phileosophos
    Options

Ok, I have an update worth sharing. It still doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but here's what I had to do to get NI KK 2.9.6 working again.

1. Reboot the machine for a fresh start.
    2. Delete the database files completely (as per this article).
    3. Move the UJAM VD-DEEP VST2.x and VST3 plugin files somewhere outside where NI KK 2.9.6 is going to scan. On my Windows system, they were at "C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\UJAM\VD-DEEP.dll" and "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\VD-DEEP.vst3" respectively.
    4. Run NI KK 2.9.6 and wait for the scan to complete.
    5. Once it completes, you can move the UJAM VD-DEEP VSTs back into place and they will scan just fine in the incremental mode (or whatever it's called).

I can't tell you why it works, only that it does. If that plugin gets processed by the "deep scan" it either freezes up completely or causes another plugin scan to freeze up completely, and the deep scan will never finish correctly. Only with it moved somewhere else do things work as they're supposed to work. Go figure.

• JesterMgee
    Options

Glad you have it working, this is of course the issues one will sometimes face living in the first world tho having 700+ plugins :) All it takes is one outdated or dodgy plugin to cause a headache.

• Phileosophos
    Options

Because the programmers have apparently never heard of (1) exception handling, and (2) timeouts I guess. But yeah, that's where we are it seems :)

• JesterMgee
    Options

Now Available: UVI Kawai Vintage Legacy NKS Library

This library covers all synths and drum machine patches in the collection allowing browsing and full control of all presets. Banks have been created to allow selection of each model in the collection and custom control maps have been created for each synth that offer deep/full control. Sound previews and artwork files are also included. Works for both Falcon and Workstation plugins (VST/VST3 compatible)

• B.Minor
    B.Minor Member Posts: 178 Advisor
    Options

Hi Jason,

what about the status for UVI "Soul Drums" or "Soul Bass"?

Is there a chance to purchase any of these related NKS presets in the near future? THX.

• JesterMgee
    Options