[NKS] Freelance Soundlabs 3rd Party NKS Libraries for Komplete Kontrol / Maschine

Options

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,600 Expert
    Options

Now Available: GForce VSM IV

https://freelancesoundlabs.com/nks/vsmiv

This library adds NKS support for GForce VSM allowing all presets to be browsed from the hardware or from the Maschine / Komplete Kontrol software with fully mapped and labelled controller map, detailed tagging converted from the VSM preset tagging to NKS tag format, sound previews and library artwork. Banks have been created for the libraries to allow full browsing of each library and virtual string machine model. 

The following library banks are included: 

• - VSM IV -
    • Library 1
    • Library 2
    • VSM Expansion 1
    • VSM Expansion 2
    • Phillicordia
    • Streicher

• JesterMgee
    Options

Now Available: D16 Nepheton 2 NKS Library

Latest D16 release for Nepheton 2, this NKS library covers all patches for single kits and scene (sequenced) operation. In-depth controller map allowing control over each kit pieces sound attributes, mixing, effects assignment and pitch/pan.

Supports VST3 version only and comes with all the usual sound previews and artwork files including artwork for the latest MK3 keyboard

• James Steele
    James Steele Member Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 30
    Options

Just a question for Mac users: does anyone know if it's possible to run Komplete Kontrol 2.9.x and 3.2.x simultaneously on the same Mac? Anybody done it. I was under the impression that NI removed the ability to create and edit tags in KK 3, but I may be wrong. I've been hanging back on 2.9.6 on my M1 Max Mac Studio for the time being. I don't see myself buying an S-series Mk3 keyboard anytime soon.

Actually, Jason… didn't mean to hijack the thread… I can delete and make a topic elsewhere if that would be better?

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,744 mod
    edited March 30
    Options

Yes it is with certain limitations - I posted a method several times

Install 2.9 - backup the VST2 and rename the application and put it in a folder of its own in applications

Install 3.2 - this will overwrite the VST3 and AU but leave the renamed standalone and VST2 intact - so you end up with both versions in standalone, 3.2 in AU and VST3 and 2.9 in VST2 (which is fine for me since I only use that for older project compatibility plus NKS building). Of course I also run the VST2 and KK2 in Rosetta to enable this but that is not essential

Theoretically it may be possible to rename the 2.9 VST3 and AU plugins too but I didn't need that so didn't try it - problem is the plugins would still have the same plugin ID and that could cause problems so I didn't risk it

That being said NI did not remove the ability to create and edit tags or to host VST2 for that matter - all they have removed from NKS creation is properties editing and it is meant to be coming back but this is why I do most of my building in KK2 for now but I also use this tool because even KK2 property editing is limited (no banks) https://www.doobox.co.uk/apps/mac/nksf_preset_banker.html .

• JesterMgee
    Options

The only thing I will add simply based on the number of people that contact me direct with the same issues (notably increased easily by 1000% with KK V3 than any other time in history) is even if KK supports VST2 still, for whatever reason I have found many people having major issues loading old projects after updating to V3.

The issues are usually plugins not loading in KK (blank instances) or the DAW crashing when loading a project. At the start I tried to work through what the cause may be, updating things to VST3, running in Rosetta mode for mac users but now my suggestion is usually for users who are not using an MK3 keyboard to downgrade back to 2.9 and in every case where these issues arise, this solves the issue.

So not sure what the issues are but I suspect there are problems around how the VST2 loading is handled and it is not working the same as KK 2.9 so that is where efforts are needed to upgrade every loaded instance of KK and the plugins loaded within to VST3 before updating to V3. Most agree it's just easier to stick with 2.9, especially until you can complete projects. Moving forward, any new project should be using only VST3 version of KK (or the AU variant if it's the only option, Logic…) and VST3 loaded plugins to make sure it has the best chance to work in KK V3.

At some stage I have to reinstall V3 and test things out on my second machine to compare things in more detail, but for now I just use what works.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,744 mod
    edited March 31
    Options

I tend to use VST2 in KK2.9 still but on the occasions I have used it in KK3, when I was testing it, it handles exactly the same. I suspect most of the people with blank projects are due to either the hosting DAW not handling migration properly, or the user not knowing KK can load VST2 and because it doesn't have the vST2 path setup by default now not having them scanned in.

I'm wondering really if the VST standards around migration maybe were not really created with sub hosts in mind - it's several extra layers of complication, even if a host can migrate the VST2 to the VST3 of KK, it's also got to recall the plugin loaded inside KK, and the preset loaded in that, as well as any automation that was setup - that's a lot of things that can go wrong

• James Steele
    Options

Yes… thanks for this info. I'll have to dig deeper on my own to determine if it's worth it. One thing I may be able to take advantage of is that I use Digital Performer on a Mac and it can use both AU and VST2/VST3, so I've done it before with different plugs where I've used an older VST3 and newer AU of the same plug simultaneously. I'll have to just to a Time Machine backup first and then if I mess something up I can restore from an APFS snapshot which is relatively painless.

Thanks for your response. I did stumble across NKSF Preset Banker on my own and have found it very happy in my own explorations of creating my own NKS support. I have a drum VI by Ugritione, and that app allowed me to set up different drum kits as different banks.

• JesterMgee
    Options

Now Available: TAL Audio Tal-Pha

Library contains all factory presets including expansions for TAL-Pha VST with detailed tagging, full controller map, previews and artwork/database files including artwork for the latest MK3 keyboard.

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 251 Pro
    edited April 4
    Options

Hey @JesterMgee I just bought this but the artwork does not seem to work for me. I've bought many of your libraries so I know how to install them, this is the first time I have an issue.

Also, this shows up under 'TAL - Togu Audio Line' as vendor, while other TAL libraries just show 'TAL', please see screenshot.

This is in both Maschine and Komplete Kontrol.

• JesterMgee
    Options

Ah, this is fixed, download the file again from your download area and just replace the NKS files then rescan and this should fix both the vendor name and make the images work.

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 251 Pro
    Options

Yes it's working now, but I had to download from the product page because Tal-Pha was not listed on the download area.

• JesterMgee
    Options

Thanks, looks like I forgot to add that download option too. That is now fixed.

• JesterMgee
    edited April 9
    Options

Now Available: Moog Mariana NKS Library

NKS Library for Moog Mariana, fully tagged, sound previews, database/artwork files and full controller map (see the readme pdf for a full controller reference list)

• James Steele
    Options

Early warning/inquiry! :). Synthmaster 3 is in pre-released alpha. I think I paid $30 to upgrade from Synthmaster 2. Hope this one is on the To-Do List, Jason! Thanks!

• JesterMgee
    Options

Nope, they added official NKS some time ago so I no longer support NKS for their plugins. I can only assume they will include it into the new version also, but seems many companies have a habit of adding NKS to some plugins but not others but given how much work was needed to convert the first libraries, unlikely I will do that again given they should now be handling it.