Hardware and software need to be ported into iPadOS

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

Maybe that devices are riped for adaptation. I doubt it, but let's assume so...

But are the folks willing to pay big money ripe?

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,284 Guru
    edited March 2022

This is one of the big risks.

What will the competitive landscape look like in 2-3 years when this is ready for first release?

Can NI/iZotope charge a bit of a premium over other similar music creation ecosystems?

Does the NI branding carry enough (any?) weight with new users? This will need to be fostered in very smart way.

There will need to be an almost simultaneous release of high-end "halo" controller products for this new ecosystem and entry-level products too.

• Aaron McPherson
    Aaron McPherson Member Posts: 24 Helper

I’ve seen other companies like FabFilter port their FX onto iOS as AUv3; maybe this would be an easier lift than a whole platform like Maschine or Kontakt?

That said, just making it easier to import desktop expansions into iMaschine or alternatives would be a nice value add. No need to put a lot of resources into software development; just some conversion utilities.

• Aaron McPherson

There is a way to do imports of Maschine kits into iOS alternatives, like Beatmaker, iMPC, EG Pulse, and Nanostudio - it's called Kit Maker: https://www.kit-maker.com/

Obviously, this is not an option for iMaschine, but if NI has decided not to develop it any further, these alternatives are quite capable.

• nightjar

Getting an M1 MacBook Pro now is the best move for anyone looking forward to an iPad based ecosystem due for release in a few years. Any device with any generation of M1 onward will be part of the party.

• Aaron McPherson

Part of what I'm getting from this thread is that development resources at NI are severely constrained, and mainly devoted to maintaining the existing "platforms" - Kontakt and Maschine. Most new instruments or sounds in these categories come from third-party developers. That's why I'm interested in focusing on existing assets that could be ported with minimal effort, or ways to leverage third-party developers that have invested in iOS.

A few years back, NI converted a Reaktor Player ensemble, Super 8, into a VST/AU. Perhaps this could be done with some of the other greatest hits, like Razor, and then from there to AUv3 on iOS.

A longstanding problem on iOS is the pricing model; buyer expectations are $10 or less, and even $20 is considered "premium." That's just not attractive for most desktop developers. However, some developers like IK Multimedia are releasing apps with a $70-$100 price point, and this may be a way forward. If we are serious about the iPad Pro as a professional music-making environment, we must be willing to pay desktop prices, or close to it, for professional-grade plugins.

However, effects and synths that don't really bring in any new money now (or are given away as part of Komplete Start), could potentially be released on iOS as teasers to get casual musicians to buy into the ecosystem. Rather than "Maschine for iOS" or "Kontakt for iOS", it may be better to focus on instruments and effects that benefit from M1 processing power without having to deal with the file system. That's why I'm thinking of starting with stuff like Super 8 or Replika, priced at a premium level ($20-30).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newcomer
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nightjar
    edited March 2022

Current "Core" technologies of AS will be safe for a decade. Pun intended.

Will some future features be dependent on future tech advances?

Certainly, but there will be a plenty of creative usability in current generation gear along the way.

• nightjar
    edited March 2022

I suspect just the opposite. The bulk of recent capital investment is perhaps being channeled to the teams developing this next generation ecosystem. And the slowish development of exiting platforms is a due to this shift. It is almost an existential thing when viewed from where NI needs to be in a few years to remain competitive.

• Rico010
    Rico010 Member Posts: 101 Advisor

My 5 cents (a personal opinion out of my mind within reality of today, may change tomorrow)…

I think the direction to standalone is better than all-round apple support. Don’t get me wrong, I am apple user myself and I have no Windows, nor Android. However, the I find myself using maschine software only to import from M+ and fibe tune things. Then I export stems or patterns as WAV and use then in another DAW for mixing and mastering, sometimes even full arrangement.

So, having native support of Apple Silicon is must. iPad, could be a good bonus to have maschine on this gadget, but standalone is more valuable. I believe there are kore apple mac and standalone users, than iPad users, who own maschine, though not sure. That may dictate priorities.

In the end of the day, maschine is just an instrument. If you want to use it with an iPad, you can always hook an iPad DAW to an external audio interface, input sounds from maschine, record, arrange and mix. Maschine is just a module in this scenario.

Don’t stick to a module, open up possibilities of your gadget with it’s potential today. Don’t wait for an update, just create music and have fun.

• nightjar
    edited March 2022

Nice to have some constructive thoughts shared.

This future ecosystem for all intents and purposes could function as a standalone with regards to how you physically interact with it.

With an iPad securely docked into a "dumb Maschine control surface", it provides the display and brains.

Hunker down and create with this combo package as you would a current standalone product. Get your motor skills honed to this rig and enjoy the power and untethered freedom.

Another tweak would be for these future "dumb controllers" to at least have a display. The iPad would wirelessly connect to these controllers much like Apple CarPlay.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newcomer
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nightjar

In this use case, the iPad would not be just touch targets. Information density would shift with the function taking place.

And have no fears of latency and battery drain.

• Fabio Barbon
    Fabio Barbon Member Posts: 25 Helper

Second this! Here’s another believer in standalone, untethered musical instruments.

No neuroscience evidence yet AFAIK but the time between the urgency of acting a musical intuition and the moment where you actually start acting on it is a crucial metric to me.

Take Synthstrom Deluge for example: 2 seconds boot time, 3 hours on battery, a formidable workflow rooted on ears and muscle memory. You can sketch a full original high quality track in less than 10 minutes on it.

The need for a power wallet creates a tiny friction.

30 seconds to boot is a friction: you can easily loose the momentum or intuition in that time.

Having to navigate a general purpose operative system to open your musical software toolset is a big friction: your locus of attention has to move around for a while before focusing on your already dying musical intuition. Not to mention the constant calls for attention of super powerful general purpose operative systems and of the diverse non music related softwares running on it.

A setting with more than one device creates huge friction: are batteries all charged? where’s the connection wire? or why is wireless pairing not happening yet? A two parts system is magnitudes more complex and frictionfull than a single part system. Please note that a computer or tablet based setting is a 3+ parts system: hardware vs operative system (potentially many issues), operative system vs user space software components (potentially many more issues).

Being an elder computer scientist (and experiencing a near death by COVID-19 last year) gives me extreme clarity on one fact: the only richness we can ever have is time, therefore a device, any technological device serving me should silently… serve me by protecting my time before everything else.

NI journey in standalone untethered musical instruments is a good strategic move in my opinion.

Being in control and responsible for the full tech stack, including hardware, is the only safe way to deliver exceptional quality. They are still learning, but they have high quality in their dna and eventually they’ll bring us beautiful musical instruments that will contribute shaping the market.

Sorry for not being able to express this with fewer words, and thank You for taking the Time to read my thoughts.

• nightjar

Excellent thoughts on all these cumulative friction points and I am keenly aware of each one and agree with you. They are the same concerns that smart developers are continuously striving to diminish across many use cases for the mobile device marketplace. And having a mass market wanting theses immediate, frictionless devices will bring them into existence more rapidly.

Think about the health care industry, or virtual reality entertainment.. those use cases want an ecosystem with the same frictionless goals for the points you brought up.

Music device companies will piggyback on the friction-free quest of those larger markets.

There is no way for a company like NI to keep up without using the same building blocks, shifted to the needs of music makers.