Hardware and software need to be ported into iPadOS

Comments

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Mpc fly used Retronyms app iMpc which become the app running inside standalones. iMpc 2 ducking icons shows that fact.

Since retronyms is well know at iOS field by they bugfest non fixed apps and to try everyone join their en environment (audiocopy and that pseudo reason they had) instead going audiobus… regular iOS users ended hating them.

Regular MPC users just want MPC workflow to the point they are criticise the latest mpc controller from ditching the 4 knobs and get the touchstrip. Same for muscle memory even it could mean “improvement”. Akai mpcs are a so-so product but also M+.

Only after 2 years of updates they got some basic features (like comparable midi clock to jjOS or even stock mpc1000 OS), same path M+ has got but we will see if the ****** atom can run what users are asking for (from Reaktor patches to full versions of whatever) or they will need to mk2…

MPC live2 also criticised by implementing speakers. Regular HipHop Headz couldn’t understand target demographics… regular portablist modders couldn’t understand numark pt01 scratch is targetted towards them but also kids (pseudo toy marketing) etc etc

Opinion? You don’t put a kill switch instead a xfader into a true scrstching product. Some hipster pics in the box to inspire who?

Same ads like S2mk3 or some “urban expansions” from NI but pople rant and refuse to see what’s the biggest market portion (tiktokers, lofi beats… who call lofi to Bolmbap? Those who use 12bit converters? Or those who trying to emulate Bolmbap sound get lofi plugins?)

Said that I’m agree there was a time with iPad docks where things were easy but Apple being conservative about energy drain and ports made these “10 years ago attempts” a fail for brands. After cck3usb came (and later usb-c) things got improved (you can plug usb audio interface and hdmi screen to usb-c iPad finally) but, with its contraints even, iOS apps were growing at fast speed than desktop to the point innovation happens first there (I put some examples that got ignored like Realtime spleeter stems). Hardware integration is arriving even by third party developers (like Loopy Pro supporting Apc40mk2, Launchpad pro mk3 and midi fighter twister natively out of the box… also ignored) and…

As I stated many times at old forum it could be possible for NI to develop a standalone box with screens, hub (and battery) so you can plug any past or future controller/interface and even swappable by user cpu module… but since supporting AS is a must (finally recognized so NI entered the Schopenhauer’s third stage slowly or forced by iZotope maybe) it will require more teams or ditch something… my bet is whole music industry going ARM/RiscV leaving powerstations as legacy (think Protools history) and sooner or later even video (DaVinci resolv works on M1 natively afaik) and hybrid setups (maybe some Ryzen or newer proposals from that ARM/RiscV promise).

ATM the nearest combo to “that” hub I pointed is an iPad usb-c with a dock but it lacks in desktop software to be useful for NI. It’s only a solution for iPad users let’s say.

I can see also happen Apple “freezing” desktop apps into useable static apps. Think in desktop as full editor but iPad as Player. More or less is the idea bebind M+. Apps like Logic Remote can show how GUI will be and maybe Apple even try the 2 modes on the same machine (the desktop/laptop due less power consumption constraints) It’s the old discussion about Logic for iOS… probably a lite version (or Garageband Pro for iOS).

Apple will keep the statement “no merging OS” and offer a similar workflow to what users expect (and keep selling desktops and tablets). Why to cannibalize themselves?

So from one side or another (tablet to desktop or desktop to tablet) NI needs to step up their game and I hope they are doing it behind scene.

• Fabio Barbon
    Fabio Barbon Member Posts: 25 Helper

Thank you for your reply, and for keeping this thread intellectually intense.

That’s curious you mentioned the healthcare domain, since I’ve spent the main part of my tech career there. This brings a couple of thoughts that perhaps are worth sharing (I hope so).

The first digitalization wave (late nineties) brought little value to clinicians, and often plagued the care delivery processes with delays and tech induced new clinical risks (think for example of the potential dramatic consequences of an ethernet failure in an emergency situation where patient’s medical record is digital only).

In the second wave (first 2000 decade) we experienced a strange phenomenon: our clinicians users had spent so much cognitive effort to adapt to previous generation mediocre electronic health records (not to mention the countless process workarounds they developed spontaneously in order to be able to deliver good care to their patients DESPITE their “supporting” digital tech), that we had serious difficulties in changing these bad systems with good ones: they felt lost without their clumsy, buggy, awful DOS or windows 98 medical records.

As a commodore grown nerd (where by coding in assembler you were in full control of almost every aspect of the computer, such as the screen raster happening 25 times every second or the audio chip code being executed and wanting an 8 bit number to play 9600 times every seconds) I saw how much since the nineties the technology stratification eased the job of software engineers but weakened their ability to control the full tech stack and so the quality of the overall system.

I hated how much doctors and nurses had to use workarounds to save people lives because of mediocre technology. In order to work on my teams my software engineers had to spend at least one week every 6 months in wards to live first hand how their user’s daily operations were affected by the code they wrote. Some of them even left me because they couldn’t face this reality 😕.

The only way to deliver high quality (without having your meticolous job vanified by nasty microsoft or android operative system code) is to control all the tech stack, such as makers of life-critical clinical devices (for example heart monitors or infusion pump makers) or Elektron do (I’ve had devices from them that never failed in thousand of hours).

With Apple product you can attenuate the external nastiness a bit, but as a developer you’re still hostage of a company that could break in the future your product that is working flawlessly today.

Users adapt to mediocre technology and adaptation tend to lower expectations or expectation quality.

In my opinion a quality company like Native Instruments has everything is needed to actually drive the market by building end-to-end technology of exceptional quality and by shaping musicians expectations instead of fighting the music software crowded arena.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

I agree, Apple consumes many of NI resources. The wisest would be not to dive more into Apple ecosystem, not speaking about iPad world, but leave it and be happy.

I know considerable amount of revenues comes from Apple users, but maybe focusing on standalone and leaving Apple would bring more revenues for less effort.

There is Rosetta every few years, not speaking about perpetual incompatibilies with every subtle change of iOS.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,284 Guru

More excellent thoughts to stimulate worthwhile discussion.

This is the critical point that NI finds itself on. Either direction is a gamble.

I believe that continuing on their current path will result in them becoming a smaller and smaller niche company.

Another big factor in making this gamble is the prediction on the future of user engagement.

How will music makers commit hours of their daily life in either the most fruitful professional manner and/or the most enjoyable hobby manner?

Emerging arenas of engagement might be the determining factor on the safer bet.

• nightjar
    edited March 2022

Some thought on the impact of piggy-backing....

Apple clearly wants to have a large presence in healthcare. Their efforts in data privacy, biometrics collection from watch data are front and center in their goals.

And from the providers standpoint, tablets are a great form factor for many patient interactions.

The more frequent friction points that affect provider/patient interaction happen outside the operating room. The mundane tasks of patient intake and general record keeping can be huge obstacles to providing quality services to a large population.

Piggy-back benefit here might have more to do with improving how we manage our music data "intake and record keeping".

Hmmm... automatic and seamless carry thru of a sound/music assets "Date of birth"..... and "radiology charts" (a dynamic spectral signature)... and musically relevant "vitals"... key, BPM...

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,881 mod
    edited March 2022

WHAT?? So, abandon 10+ years of MAS controller history, accumulated macOS users and leave them hanging in favor of a new standalone a crowd that so far does not seem very convinced M+ is some kind of endgame standalone? Are you under the impression that there are more M+ users then general macOS users? That would be outrageous... Sure most of the world is on Windows for general use and in many industries, no doubht about it but in music the split seems more balanced, same goes for graphic design and some other creative areas.

"There is Rosetta every few years" No, there is not, the name is Rosetta 2 for a reason. There were literally 3 changes in 35+ years of history. Motorola to PPC in 1994, Intel around 2005 (i think) and now Apple silicon. There won't be any new change in the next 2, 3 or 4 years... they spent too many millions for that to happen but in 10 years or so? yeah, maybe. Perhaps you're confusing OS updates which sometimes contain breaking changes with CPU architecture changes? Sure those are annoying... I understand that time spent on Apple shenanigans when you're a Windows user is supper annoying, I would be upset too just like it annoys me time spent on the M+, Sounds.com and many other things I dont care about.

Abandoning your customer's is never the awnser, it's a very dangerous precedent, today that might favor you but tomorrow it might not.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,353 Expert

@D-One astonishingly uttered:

it annoys me time spent on the M+

I respectfully disagree and think the M+ is better than its reputation. To me the M+ is the essence of what Maschine is and always should have been from the start.

And though an avid Mac user since Macintosh System 4, I have to agree with the critics (aka „haters crowd“) that Apple changes their mind about CPU architecture way too often: 3 changes in 38 years is 3 times more often than Microsoft or any other OS provider did. It’s just freaking annoying, especially when working with legacy hard- and software. In hindsight the benefits (for the users) are (highly) questionable.

And now the same thing is happening with the iOS platform, but at a faster pace. I do like my iGadgets, but I wouldn’t advice any company to rely their whole ecosystem on that platform. Cross platform compatibility is a must.

• nightjar
  • nightjar

One fatal flaw in the concept of a standalone product like Maschine+ in the the year 2022 is the huge difference in evolutionary pace of the "brains" vs that of the "body".

It's like confining a primate brain in the body of a turtle.

• Kubrak

The only "problem" of M+ is it would suit it stronger HW (CPU and more RAM). It will be possible with new AMD/Intel CPUs, comming soon .

@D-One

Well, it was sort of joke. I guess NI would not abadon Mac users in favor of standalone. But SW providers should push on Apple stop its dictatorship and maintain more backward compatibility.... Say we will stop developing for Mac, if you continue like up to now.....

But I do think that focus on standalone instead of iPad would bring more money.

Concerning Rosettas:

PPC->Intel .... 11 years

Intel->AS .... 15 years

Average life of CPU platform .... 13 years

Rosetta 3 may be expected in 2031-2035.

There is not going to be Rosetta 3 in 2, 4, 5 years. But it may be expected in 8-12 years or so. If Apple would continue glueing together big chips like it did with M1 Ultra (and not smaller chips, say M1), Rosetta 3 has big chance to come even sooner. Or Apple HW will cost fortune, comparing to similar PC platform.

We will see soon M2 and maybe some info about M3 starts leaking. So far, M2 seems to be just a small step, x86 paces faster, IMHO.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,110 admin

Just here to make sure this is not taken as a fact since it might read as such for some of the readers.

• nightjar
    edited March 2022

One enabling thing that happened last year with iPadOS 15 is apps now being able to access more than 5GB of RAM.

Will WWDC this year reveal that an M1 iPad can also do super-fast swap memory?.. Hmmm, that could open some fun possibilities. June is not too far off for this developers event.

• Sibben
    Sibben Member Posts: 4 Member

How can the benefits of the new architecture be questionable when it provides machines that run circles around competitors while staying cool and drawing significantly less power? For anyone into recording the value of a laptop that never spins up the fans and stays dead silent can hardly be over-estimated.

Apple is a company that restlessly, and sometimes, recklessly, moves forward and throws out legacy tech when it becomes a hinderance. To some that might be frustrating but to many of us it’s kind of the point.

They have pretty much committed to go down the path of creating all-in-one solutions that are super efficient but can’t be upgraded much and only works well in a unified service and hardware eco system.

That will be frustrating for some, but again, for some of us it’s just how we want it.

• Kubrak

Yes, "We know what is the best for you." I have happened to experience for few decades of my life.... And never ever more again. :-) I hope.

Some people prefer simplicity and limited choise and reduced responbility for their choise, others prefer freedom to have things like they need and want, bearing the risk that they made wrong choise.

And by the way, non expandable, non-repairable products are not very environment friendly.

• nightjar

More thoughts on how user engagement will shape the smartest path forward.

The opportunities for how a music maker can learn their instrument and/or interact with other players will continue to radically be changed by the technically connected nature of our society.

The human reasons for anyone to even be initially drawn into the joy of music making are being fostered within the new arenas of these technological connections.

The most attractive tools for new music makers will be those that fully address the new options for how music is engaged in daily life.... learning, creating, performing,