Hardware and software need to be ported into iPadOS

Options

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,288 Guru
    Options

How might busking be enabled in some new ways.......

Busking to a headphone audience?

Performer info and buy option for songs "broadcast" within a 20 yard radius?

Lyrics shared to audience devices?

A listener can trigger a sound element within your performance via their phone?

How might a "tip jar" function?

• nightjar
    Options

Learning to play an instrument might be more akin to a daily "Peloton" session....

• Sibben
    Sibben Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

The assumption that using a pre-defined solution for technical work has some relation to personal liberties or philosophical life choices is pretty melodramatic. You do realize we’re only talking about which type of computer some people prefer?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,795 Expert
    Options

Well, it may be melodramatic. Apple world seems to be melodramatic anyway. Apple's "benchmarks" of M1 Ultra is not usuall and expectable advertising exaderating, it is propaganda based on lies and artifically created "facts". I would not be surprised if it ends up at court....

I would not buy computer, especially expensive one, where is not extendable RAM, possibility to change SDD/HDD, battery, CPU, .... Apple goes quite opposite way. I can imagine that EU one day makes a law that something like that is not possible. And Apple looses EU market or will have to change it.

• nightjar
    Options

Ironic to be seemingly wishing for the legal system to take away a consumer choice.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited March 2022
    Options

Why is that astonishing? Isn't it common sense that if you like something then for you the time spent on it is justified but for someone that only uses the controllers then not really? Opinions aren't facts, they are just opinions.

It annoys me because I am here for 7+ years, way before any standalone was in the picture, I invested a lot on a hybrid tethered system and have been watching users requests being ignored than bam: sounds.com, bam standalone, it's quite frustrating just like for Windows guys having to wait longer because Apple changes the architecture is annoying... that's all.

If it deserves or not whatever reputation it has idk, I have no opinion on that but as we speak my M+ froze and I had to force reboot it, it's running the upcoming version as you know... so... yeah there's that. 🤷‍♂️

Exactly. I don't get it either, the tech world seems very impressed and this is just the first generation, imagine M2, M3, etc... I'm quite happy Apple left intel behind but again, I totally understand how all this is annoying for Windows folks.

I got no problem with changing to something better every decade and sacrificing legacy compatibility, if I did I would be on Windows.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited March 2022
    Options

Valid opinion, for me CPU is not a problem at all for now, I'm more annoyed about file management, crashes, a bunch of small minor annoyances of a desktop ported to a standalone that add up and some other stuff I won't bore anyone with, I'm not the target audience anyway, I only use standalone mode live. By the time the CPU becames a big problem they probably make M+ 2 or whatever.

I know it was hyperbole, I'm just a bit OCD about nonfactual info staying around like that as not everyone reading is techie enough to tell it's a joke. No one can push Apple to do anything, it's they who do the pushing... for the good and the bad.

AMD and Apple competing with Intel is good for everyone at the end of the day, at least long term, remember that intel kept the consumer world on 4-Cores forever for no reason other than saving the high core count for their server CPU lineup which were mega expensive even by apple standards. 13.000$ Xeons and whatnot...

• Kubrak
    edited March 2022
    Options

@D-One

Exactly. I don't get it either, the tech world seems very impressed and this is just the first generation, imagine M2, M3, etc... I'm quite happy Apple left intel behind but again, I totally understand how all this is annoying for Windows folks.

Tech world may be impressed that ARM may compete with x86. Nothing more, nothing less. M1 in not better design than for example Zen3. M1 has advantage over x86 competitors in that it uses process one generation better than AMD for Zen3. And it is purely question of production cost. If users accept to pay premium price they may have CPU on premium process....

From what I read about M2 it is expected to be just slightly improved M1 shrinked to more advanced process. So that it may run faster than M1 while consuming comparately, or run at the same speed and consume less than M1. Or anything in between - run a bit faster and consume a bit less.

M3 - I am looking forward to having some news about it. At the time it comes, there will be Zen5, I guess.

And sure competition is good. I do not know if Intels' "four cores do forever" and so five, six years without much progress, was what forced Apple to start ARM project, or it would happen anyway, but it could play the role...

AS will force x86 to become more energy effective. It is not that hard task. At least for AMD that is not pushing silicon to technical limits like Intel to be able keep pace with AMD....

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    Options

@D-One wrote:

Why is that astonishing? Isn't it common sense that if you like something then for you the time spent on it is justified but for someone that only uses the controllers then not really?

First, I don’t think like that. I like diversity. I like if others may have (different) benefits from my preferred tools. I like to have options for the tool platform. Therefore I learned to prefer Cubase over Logic, because it doesn’t lock me to Mac OS.

Second, the M+ forces NI to think harder about what can be done on a controller and how, which ultimately will be of benefit for all Maschine users.

But I digress…

In the end, we’re talking about a musical instrument here and that’s why I prefer the M+: It feels much closer to an analog synth or piano or bass guitar than any controller tethered to a computer.

And that is the reason why I think touch devices or controllers in general are a failure as musical instruments: Main haptic (feedback) elements are missing and they feel way more like a piece of technology than a real musical instrument.

No one can push Apple to do anything

Except for We, the customers.

• nightjar
    edited March 2022
    Options

Any semblance of performance feedback on an M+ is rather minimal and not groundbreaking in any way.

Conversely, a shift to iPadOS opens up a vast new world of performance feedback mechanisms.

An artist in this new ecosystem would have far more ways to create their own best approach to express nuance and technique.

• nightjar
    edited March 2022
    Options

Both iZotope and Apple have some tremendous research scientists who's careers are focused on music, sound, human perception and the applications of machine learning.

Apple recently acquired the London company AI Music... Here's a look at what had been their mission statement:

Human creativity is the core of what we do. We are on a mission to redefine how we create, interact and experience music.

AI Music allows brands, developers and sonic adventurers access to our intelligent music library. Our goal is to give consumers the power to choose the music they want, seamlessly edited to fit their needs or create dynamic solutions that adapt to fit their audiences.

And here's a quote from the AI CEO:

Adaptive music is music that actually changes itself depending on your activity. For example, if you're going for a run, then our music can adapt itself. The faster you run, the faster the music becomes. It may start from hip hop and shift to house music. If you run really fast, you get drum and bass, which has 174 beats per minute. You can also link the energy of the song to your heart rate. Thus, if your heart rates go high, the actual energy of the song and the loudness and the drums go up. We've been really looking at this idea of adaptive music. Fitness is just one application. We also work in gaming, virtual reality, and advertising as well.

• Kubrak
    Options

Yes, we know the best, what is best for you. :-DDDDD

And how does it relates to NI and music creation?

• nightjar
    Options

It indicates a unique commitment within Apple to bring in more enabling technologies related to music creation. And therefore more reason to align NI on a path to piggy-back on these advances that will shape how we engage with music in the near future.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    Options

@nightjar quoted:

Adaptive music is music that actually changes itself depending on your activity. For example, if you're going for a run, then our music can adapt itself. The faster you run, the faster the music becomes. It may start from hip hop and shift to house music. If you run really fast, you get drum and bass, which has 174 beats per minute. You can also link the energy of the song to your heart rate. Thus, if your heart rates go high, the actual energy of the song and the loudness and the drums go up. We've been really looking at this idea of adaptive music. Fitness is just one application. We also work in gaming, virtual reality, and advertising as well.

🤮

This is about consumerism. And what happened to music as an art?

• nightjar
    edited March 2022
    Options

The very act of creating music is simultaneously "consuming" one aspect of its appeal to humans.

I enjoy making music, therefor I consume one aspect of its pleasure.

Making tools to empower people to be more deeply engaged with music in diverse ways is good thing.