Ask me anything: Kontrol S-Series MK3

Options

Comments

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 864 mod
    Options

It sure is! I thought I'd use it sometimes, but I've really begun to use it all the time. It feels much more organic - as an analogue instrument like the piano, guitar, or voice do. It's been exciting exploring existing implementations of Polyphonic Aftertouch (uHe's Diva and Arturia's CS-80 are excellent) as well as beginning the process of bringing it to a lot NI's pre-existing instrument libraries.

Of course, it's not a new technology, but it's nowhere nearly widely adopted enough. We hope to change that. We certainly have an eye on expanding to MPE as well. We've made investments in MIDI 2 that I'll talk about later on, and there's a general theme of expressivity woven into the instrument controller experience.

Advanced microtonality? Say more about this. I assume you want to go beyond the current set of non-microtonal scale types in Play Assist, but there are many tonalities - have you one in mind?

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,779 mod
    Options

Mainly not being limited by a curated selection of alternate tunings but being able to import our own including fully microtonal scales. Ideally I would like to see Komplete Kontrol being able to act as a host to MTS-ESP enabled plugins which seems a good approach to making microtonal music more accessible. As you have found already poly aftertouch opens up so much in terms of musical expression but it would be such a shame if that was constrained by such a limited set of scales with no possibility of extending those.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Q1: Yes, this is abundantly and overwhelmingly likely. Kontrol S MK3 introduces a brand new tech stack on which we plan to build many products. Up, down, side to side. Hardware takes time, but expect more.

Q2: I mean... I want one? It's definitely not a thought we're ignoring. Absolutely feasible but it's a non-trivial proposition. And would certainly be more expensive due to the increased component cost (you're talking to a guy who owns far too many standalone keyboards, none of which were cheap).

• MattyB
    MattyB Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hi , very excited about the new controllers. Is the pre-order sale price only for a short period of time or of this be the prices for the controllers. Will this work with all major DAWS (Reaper) and VSTs and VST3. Thanks

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,779 mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

So Massive X will also be updated to support Poly AT then?

• Matthew_NI
    Options

1) I'd refer you to the comment I made above. We continue to support and add value to Maschine, and support all of our products. I do understand where users are frustrated we haven't done enough of the things they want when they want - when you've so many varied users and needs it becomes almost inevitable that solving for one disappoints another, given finite resourcing.

2) Your second question has been asked in several places, so I'll paraphrase. Kontrol S MK2 had an integration with Maschine. Kontrol S MK3 does not. Why not? Simply put - very very few people ever used it. That's not just because we have a huge number of Kontrol users outside of the Maschine world, but even those that own both rarely if ever use the integration. So whilst it was great for the users who use it, for everyone else (a significant majority) the keyboard had redundant buttons that appeared broken, and we found ourselves unable to resource building additional features for the majority, because of the integration slowing us down.

It is never easy to disappoint. If someone has Maschine, but wants to buy Kontrol S MK3 and use the integration, they would likely be disappointed. Which is why we're being as forthcoming as we can in letting people know. Worth noting too that Kontrol S MK2 is still supported, indefinitely. So we have not taken anything away, even if we've not prioritized it moving forward. Such decisions are always subject to change, and I recognize the frustration when you're in an affected group, even if it is a minority of users. But I hope that helps explain - even if not to your liking.

3) Ones to our liking, I suppose.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

This is a great question!

The next-gen NKS technology will make things massively easier for users who use our Accessibility modes. Here are some examples:

1) In particular, we've introduced the concepts of parameter groups, assigned to the soft buttons atop the screen. So you'll be able to navigate quickly to groups, have the group and page name read out, and find your way around a plug-ins interface without having to endlessly scroll pages.

2) The new encoders are capacitive, so you can also touch and get a response without changing parameter values to best understand what you're interacting with.

3) People forget that visual impairment isn't binary. We've made the screen bigger, clearer, with plug-in artwork and parameter UI more prominent, so that it's more accessible for a range of users. Given how powerful the screen, and the utilities on it actually are, particularly for the visually impaired community who make up more than 5% of our active users, it is a bit disheartening to see people criticizing "all they've done is make it bigger". We put real thought and care into how ALL users can make music.

Also worth noting, is that we're changing the way we deliver Accessibility. Much like the recent updates we made to Maschine (hey, another Maschine update that we shipped this year!), it will use the NI Accessibility Helper app.

Last, but by no means least, it is very very important to state that Accessibility will not be implemented at launch (mid October). However, it will be implemented in Q4. It's our number one priority. Ideally it would have been implemented at launch, but we had to first get the tech stack to market, and indeed even get content to NKS 2, to then proceed with our Accessibility implementation. So, you heard it here first. Coming in Q4 2023.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

No, unfortunately not.

The Kontrol S MK3 has a new on-device rendering engine, capable of rendering metadata and graphics, well, on the device.

This enables us to do things like the Direct Connection API, for which Kontakt 7 and Komplete Kontrol 3 are our first clients. The keyboard talks directly to the plug-in, but otherwise handles the parameter mapping and graphical representations.

The Kontrol S MK2 does not have this capability. The logic is hard coded into Komplete Kontrol, which does all of the rendering and processing, before sending the information down the pipe to the keyboard's display. It's "dumb" in a manner of speaking. So it is not as simple as enabling it.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

S25 is not coming later.

Other key sizes larger than 25 but smaller than 49, with the same capabilities... might be...

• Matthew_NI
    edited September 2023
    Options

There are no plans to do this, no.

Deprioritizing the functionality was a tough decision made on account of it being a high resource commitment, for a very low adoption rate as evidenced with Kontrol S MK2, which we do still support. We wanted to build other things for other users first.

Priorities can change, and as products mature sometimes more niche capabilities can be added, but as said, there are no plans at present, and it would be disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Can you today? No. Will you be able to? Soon, yes.

I'd encourage all prospective buyers to evaluate the product on the merits of what it's currently capable of doing, but for those in wait and see mode, there are a few things I can be open about us working on.

One of them is full MIDI template management. Creating, saving, browsing, loading, etc. It may not get done in Q4 2023, as there are higher priorities, but I'd hope to get to this in the first half of 2024.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Potentially.

Each of the four pedal inputs can be Continuous or Switch.

If Switch, you can have the Tip, Ring, or both in Trigger mode.

In this mode, you can send Control Change messages on the channel of your choosing at the value of your choosing upon press/release of the pedal.

That is not the same thing as sending a Note On/Note Off, which I think is really what you want, but depending on the DAW, you can transform the MIDI information to your needs (e.g. Logic's Environment).

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Big time.

New UI, support for HiDPI and hosted content resizing, the new browser (improved from Kontakt 7), an enormous amount of bug fixes, and much more besides. It will be available to existing users and install in place (overwrite) as prior versions have done, to ensure session recall continuation.

This discussion has been closed.