Ask me anything: Kontrol S-Series MK3

Options

Comments

• revp01
    revp01 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

polyphonic aftertouch looks attractive. Glad you all included a traditional midi port.

why did you all choose to omit faders? Tonewheel organ workflow, Juno or CS style workflow really depend on it.

• Stormchild
    Stormchild Member Posts: 51 Helper
    Options
  • Stormchild
    Stormchild Member Posts: 51 Helper
    edited September 2023
    Options

One of the core concepts of Komplete Kontrol and NKS from the very beginning is that the controls are never out of sync with the software you're controlling. That's why the hardware exclusively uses buttons and endless knobs, and uses a display to show the values. Of course, there are motorized faders, but they're expensive and would further increase the cost of these already pricey keyboards. There are definitely things you can do with sliders that are difficult or impossible with knobs, like using envelopes as a performance control (something I enjoy doing on my System-8), but I guess they felt that knobs are sufficient for most use cases.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,305 Guru
    edited September 2023
    Options

NKS2 is foundational.. many good things to come will depend on it.

It will fundamentally affect the direction of product development and workflow advancements.

• idancerecords
    idancerecords Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

Why aren’t there any faders? Is that touch strip thing MPE? It would be great to be able to use those high resolution screens to display midi data and music notation and lyrics.

• thelucioguy
    thelucioguy Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

OK, you asked for feedback, here it is:

I took possession of my new S61 MK3 yesterday. Beautiful instrument.

Now, to the issues. How in the world do you announce/launch a new product without being prepared????? Maybe it's due to new ownership never going through a product launch before? I'd like to know. I wasted half a day Saturday, and a few hours today (Sun.) trying to get this thing up and running.

While it does "work" with Kontakt 7, meaning you press a key, it makes a sound. No different than my S61 MK2, which years ago, replaced my S61 MK1. However, the opening screen telling me to update at a specific URL takes me to a 404 Error. A 404 Error! Real professional. Secondly, when I launch Kontakt (v.7.6, the latest) it tells me I have to update both Kontakt 7 and some Hardware Communications something or other. The "Hardware" software that I downloaded 3 or 4 times to see if it made any difference, is v1.4.2 and says "Demo."

So, no S61 update, no Kontakt update, no Hardware Communications update. So I have a new $850 controller that does nothing your advertisements said it would do.

Here's a crazy idea: perhaps have all your ducks in a row and all software up and running before you announce a launch or ship unit #1?????? Pretty rad, I know. I love your products - I have a massive amount of your software and a number of your hardware units. But you really put a bad taste in my mouth this time.

Oh yeah, one more thing, no user guide whatsoever. Wow! Someone needs to be fired over there.

Thanks for asking.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,639 Expert
    Options

If you say so there NI marketing guru dude, you have the future vision for all products, even if they are only visions :)

• mmk_music
    mmk_music Member Posts: 40 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

That is the fault of whichever retailer sold it to you. There has only been an announcement and pre-orders. The keyboard is not released until Oct. 31st

Someone like @Matt_NI will likely reply to your message here though since there was another person with a similar situation already.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,305 Guru
    Options

I'd guess You were't supposed to get this yet, official shipping is yet to come. Venders told to wait.

Some support stuff is not ready yet.

• michaelv
    michaelv Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Well, it's looking a little better than the Mk2. In the main, it feels cosmetic in its improvement.I bought the Mk 2 a few months ago and was immediately disappointed by two things.

• 1. The keyswitching for Kontakt libraries only works via the clumsy shell of the NI Komplete Control plugin. It's ghastly and just another layer of complication. Trouble that I do not need. I was expecting the keyboard-lit keyswitching to occur within the Kontakt plugin, but it doesn't. Utterly horrible.
    • 2.The highly useful touch control strip, immediately below the two controller wheels, is in a very poor location.Certainly not designed by a musician. I use it frequently as a cc11 expression controller, in conjunction with the mod wheel for dynamics. In the Mk 2's location, this means that the heel of one's hand frequently turns off the strip, resulting in no sound coming from the chosen patch. It’s incredibly annoying and completely puzzling as to why NI approved of this. Now they have addressed this, so it probably means I’ll have to buy the Mk 3. Very irritating.
    • All in all, cosmetic improvements, but this could have been achieved in the Mk2. Well done guys.Very stupid.

• urbanpianoguy86
    urbanpianoguy86 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Not that impressed....its taken this long to come out with enhanced features? Come on man.....

• michaelv
    michaelv Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Well, it's looking a little better than the Mk2. In the main, it feels cosmetic in its improvement.I bought the Mk 2 a few months ago and was immediately disappointed by two things.

• 1. The keyswitching for Kontakt libraries only works via the clumsy shell of the NI Komplete Control plugin. It's ghastly and just another layer of complication. trouble that I do not need. I was expecting the keyboard-lit keyswitching to occur within the Kontakt plugin, but it doesn't. Utterly horrible.
    • 2.The highly useful touch control strip, immediately below the two controller wheels, is in a very poor location.Certainly not designed by a musician. I use it frequently as a cc11 expression controller, in conjunction with the mod wheel for dynamics. In the Mk 2's location, this means that the heel of one's hand frequently turns off the strip, resulting in no sound coming from the chosen patch. It’s incredibly annoying and completely puzzling as to why NI approved of this. now they have addressed this, so I probably means I’ll have to buy the Mk 3. Very irritating.
    • All in all, cosmetic improvements, but this could have been achieved in the Mk2. Well done guys.

• Miri Astro
    Miri Astro Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I’m excited about the further development of the NKS platform

• vickilynnmusic
    vickilynnmusic Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Do you take trade-ins to help offset the cost of upgrading?

• mikec73
    mikec73 Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    Options

it seems like every one in the world wants faders !

This discussion has been closed.