Microsoft Defender detects Trojan script on update file of Massive X

Options

Answers

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,132 Expert
    edited March 2023
    Options

Trust NI - read here, why:

Many other companies have or had the same issue with Defender suddenly flagging their products. It's clear that these are 'false positives' and, at this point, it's up to Microsoft to clear the confusion.

• ReAktor
    ReAktor Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    edited March 2023
    Options

Yes. last update was 30.03.2023, 16:18:

As said, I wait a few days and hopefully the problem will disappear...

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    edited March 2023
    Options

@ReAktor You can click on Settings -> Info in the Windows Security Center, and check the antivirus version. Should be version 1.385.1608.0, and it shouldn't detect the Massive X installer as malware anymore.

If you don't already have that version, check Windows Update for Defender Security Intelligence updates.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,741 mod
    edited March 2023
    Options

If it was really a virus then it would have shown up in the other Antivirus tools by now but it doesn't. Also updates of Windows Defender would if anything be even more likely to flag a genuine virus, and to do that more consistently, but the opposite is happening because the updates are correcting Microsoft's error in many cases. Also several other companies have been affected by this false alarm. I think NI have checked thoroughly that their software is not carrying any trojans.

• Milkman
    Milkman Member Posts: 211 Advisor
    edited March 2023
    Options

Oddly, I have windows 10 and 11 machines on my network with defender fully enabled and Native Access installed, Ive gone through all those updates, and nothing like this happened. Were people suggesting NIs installers and code base was infected with a trojan because of a defender false positive?

EDIT: looks like only some of the pending NI updates went in over the last week, but there are 2 more updates pending that have not been applied. (Maschine and MassiveX).

I think... Ill sit on these updates and wait for this to settle. If Defender is freaking out, I would rather avoid the unpleasantries.

• gianmarco
    gianmarco Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

same problem here with Massive X and Maschine 2 essentials

• Soft Enerji
    Soft Enerji Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I had the same problem last weekend with Maschine 2 and Massive X. Tried again today and now only have the problem with Massive X.

• ziryab
    ziryab Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Llevo desde el sábado sin maschine ni Massive X, pude recuperar Maschine el domingo y hoy al actualizar Windows defender he vuelto a reinstalar Massive X y ​​me ha vuelto a saltar el troyano.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    Options

Make sure to update Defender Security Intelligence via Windows Update or in the Windows Security Center in the task bar.

• Pianoman
    Pianoman Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Fix / Workaround

I was able to get this to work by using the Defender Folder Exclusions option.

Bring up Defender, Virus and Threat Protection settings, Exclusions.

I excluded the folders of:

C:\Users\Public (This seems to be the most important one)

C:\Program Files\Native Instuments

C:\ProgramData\Native Instruments

I don't know if that last two are needed. It started working for me after excluding C:\Users\Public - I just excluded the other two first.

• p2b
    p2b Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

same on Komplete Kontrol update today

• hsteph
    hsteph Member Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi team,

I had this "trojan" issue and retried today with the latest defender update.

It works OK now on my Windows 10.

• Go4PlanB
    Go4PlanB Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Same,

Native Access even crashed during it.

By now, the absence of any response to users by NI is shameful considering the potential level of threats.

Sounds like echos in a WAVES of a trend..

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,741 mod
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

What makes you think there is 'no response' from NI other than not bothering to look for them?

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/11699/known-issue-windows-defender-flagging-products-as-trojans/p1