Plugins that support VST2 -> VST3 migration - a list

Comments

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,326 mod

Just to be clear, i am not sure about "complete" migration, because i never made any track who has Voltage vst2, so, practically i can not test this... i am saying that, NKS presets that made with vst2 version, are loading now with the vst3 version, on Maschine

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,727 mod
    edited December 2022

OK I have had a chance to test this now. I created a patch with some mapped params in the VST2 and then put KK in Native mode so it could only load the VST3. The patch loaded did migrate so that's the good news, the bad news is the assigned params did not. Also I can see how it would be a real chore to create a NKS library for this plugin. As it's modular every patch is different but Cherry Audio have thought of that by making it possible to assign automation params manually to whatever you want to control per patch - there is no fixed automation. However the downside of this is unlike say Omnisphere which does something similar, every time you change patches in VM it wipes out any automation assigned so you would have to do this for every preset, then create a mapping in KK, then save each patch. Even just mapping the performance macros, which tbh I would limit myself to anyway, the problem is they are not used by a lot of patches.

Still I can see it would be worth it say if you had a really great patch that you wanted to setup control for - so I'd use it just to save the best patches that I really want to have hardware control for, but not use KK as a librarian for them all

Hopefully though if they can make this migrate in terms of patches at least then they can do the same for their more simple synths, unfortunately though Mercury, which was updated at the same time as VM for Ventura, doesn't migrate so far.

• Kymeia

Excellent news - u-he have managed to make all their NKS ready plugins migrate. Quote from Urs at KvR

“We uploaded slightly modified version of our NKS-ready software that load correctly as NKS in Komplete Kontrol 2.8.1 or Maschine 2.16.1 - both updates from u-he and NI are from today.

Just re-download our plug-ins and install, then go to Native Access and update NKS software.

If you first update KK/MAS before you install our updates, you need to rescan before our plug-ins appear.

Note that nothing else has changed in our software, this is just a quick fix so that NKS software loads our VST3 plug-ins for NKS on M1 and correctly maps settings/parameters etc.”

• Kymeia
    edited December 2022

Both updates now in NA - after installing the u-he plugins and updating in NA it is essential to rescan plugins

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert

Yeah I ahve not included Voltage Modular because it is pointless to make NKS, it is not designed to be easily "mapped" for this kind of purpose and is very much a mouse driven plugin so I never bothered to waste time trying to do anything.

The issue with Cherry Audio as Kymeia points out is the difference in parameters. Migrating presets to VST3 is actually reasonably easy to do, but it then requires a whole new preset template to be created and that takes time to work through.

All the Cherry Audio plugins I have covered are in the process now of being updated and I may possibly have them done by end of year, it's just literally "work" to do it because it's far from fun, time consuming and being Summer here now in Australia it's far from what I want to be sitting and doing on such nice days.

• Kymeia
    edited December 2022

What is daft is they haven't made mapping persistent even for the performer (macro) controls. I get the idea of manually assigning automation targets for a modular - each patch is basically a new synth in itself - but the performers stay the same. Omnisphere also has the manual setting up of automation targets but once you have done that and saved it in a template it persists for any other preset loaded, but with VM opening the next preset sets everything back to blank.

• 67maxx
    67maxx Member Posts: 15 Member

I use Windows 10 and I solved the problem uninstalling Iris 2 from the iZotope Product Portal and then reinstalling it again.

In this way I could have back the .vst2 version (I don't know why I had only the .vst3)

Then I create a folder in C/Program Files/Steinberg/VstPlugins/ called iZotope,Inc.

I put inside that folder the 2 files:

iZIris2.dll

iZotope Iris 2.dll

I moved them from the ...Steinberg/VstPlugins

In Komplete Kontrol I added that path and I rescan the libraries in the Preferences (Factory, User).

I did the same even for BreakTweaker :)

Hope it can help

• Sunborn

My point was that i wanted to VST3 to load the NKS, and there is the problem. The VST2 is working well, but as i said, i want the VST3 :-)

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert

Will never happen, Izotope have told me they have no plans to update it or fix it, if VST2 works and you wanna use it, that is the option or throw it in the trash. VST2 is fine for me, VST3 will just crash no matter what so happy to just use VST2 for that and delete the VST3 completely.

• Sunborn

Unfortunately you are correct, however as long as VST3 works well with Cubase i will keep that too... and keep the VST2 for the Maschine only

• Sunborn

LennarDigital Sylenth1

Confirmed! Latest update is finally VST3 AND fully migrated!

• Kymeia

Thanks I have added it to the main list

• Sunborn

GForce OB-E 2

Tested and confirmed. Successfully migrates from VST2 to VST3

• Kymeia

Added - appears so far to be their only plugin that does so far - which is a bit odd as you would think at least the SEM would as it came out after the OB-E and is based on it

• Sunborn

A1TriggerGate by Alex Hilton

A free rhythmic gate plugin that i use for years, now offers a VST3 version, and to the shame of some "big names" (and my huge relief, since i use it on over 30 different projects!) it offers VST2 to VST3 migration.

It is a worthy little tool that you can find here https://a1audio.alexhilton.net/