Plugins that support VST2 -> VST3 migration - a list

Comments

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,351 mod

so... "handmade" it is (one by one, the hard way! 😜)

btw, i am on Windows 10 (Intel) so if there is something you people can not do on Mac i will be glad to assist

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,738 mod
    edited November 2022

It won't even open now on my Mac so even if you do manage to convert them they won't be any use. People on Intel can still use the VST2 though and on Windows you should be fine and won't need to convert anything unless you have a particular reason for wanting to prefer the VST3 over the VST2?

• Sunborn
    edited November 2022

unless you have a particular reason for wanting to prefer the VST3 over the VST2?

Absolutely! I am trying to get rid every VST2 possible, except few good old ones than will never be revived again (such as the excellent Camel Space)! I have noticed that VST3 runs much more smoothly on my PC (on which i mainly use Cubase for my music -Maschine is mostly for my own pleasure, fun and for some live jams etc. i don't really use it on my music-). Besides that, VST3 offers a lot more possibilities and, either we like it or not, is the future... eventually VST2 will die (as everything else, including our selves)... so i prefer to be a step ahead towards the future, rather to be a step backwards. ...and this, because it is my general approach in life, always to explore the new (though actually I'm an "old school" guy) 🙏

However, there are few VST2 plugins that i use often and i have created dozens of personal presets. Those, i will keep as much as possible!

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,596 Expert

I'll be updating my NKS library for Iris at some stage and testing on both PC/Mac tho that still does not mean it will work for M1 users, they are a special breed that needs special attention and that won't happen for Iris.

• Sunborn
    edited November 2022

I just re-checked and realize that the problem with Iris 2 is not on the NKS files, but in the plugin itself!

I tried to open it as VST3 (without any NKS involved) and it crashes Maschine again... so, unless it is just me who has that issue, Iris 2 should be suggested to be kept as VST2 only (however, in Cubase, the VST3 it works fine).

• Kymeia

No it crashes for me too every time I try and open it

• Kymeia
    edited November 2022

Sonic Charge brought out Native VST3 versions today and I can confirm that the NKS patches for the VST2 version of Echobode in the NKS user library migrate fine to the VST3 including correct params and going by Magnus's comments below it looks likely they all will:

https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/2184-updates-vst3-and-more

• In hosts where VST3 replaces VST2 (e.g., Cubase), we have made every possible effort to ensure that everything sounds the same when you load old projects.

Wish more developers had taken that kind of care with migration support

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 410 Guru
    edited December 2022

The following can be added to the list as working migration:

Audiaure Zone

BT Phobos (Does not load directly from preset, but will load VST 2 KK Presets once loaded.) Now works directly from the presets, after I found an issue with the VST3 read of VST2 template. I've updated all presets with the new template and will upload VST3 shortly.

Doesn't migrate dircetly due to a conflict between VST2/3 plugin names. Updated NKS available in the User Library Dropbox.

• Kymeia

Thanks that's interesting - not come across a plugin that doesn't migrate except when the plugin is already loaded. I did try a few to see if that method could work but found nothing.

• Vagus

The plugin name for the VST3 is BT Phobos, while the VST 2 is BT Phobos (64-Bit). Renamed the plugin, and applied the new template, and all works dandy.

• Kymeia

What that suggests to me is the plugin incorporates the necessary VST SDK code to support migration but the name difference was the obstacle - odd that the developer hadn't considered that but maybe migration was more a by product of adherence to the latest VST3 spec than by conscious design?

• Vagus

Phobos was before UsTwo started developing thier plugins, so I might test a recent plugin to see if that's been maintained.

• Sunborn

Cherry Audio Voltage Modular

I just update it to version 2.70, install only the VST3 plugin and now it loads all the old presets made with the VST2 version. Anyone else can confirmed it?

• Kymeia

Awesome will try when home

• Kymeia

Mercury also has a Ventura update but that one didn’t migrate when I tried it