Maschine plus upgrades (ableton push 3 released)

Options

Comments

• wzdm.85
    wzdm.85 Member Posts: 67 Helper
    Options

I've tried pretty much every groovebox/standalone on the market (Push 2, but not Push 3) and when it comes to UI, Maschine wind everytime. I've sold everything but Maschine.

It may not look the best on pictures, or have the most active forums, but in actual practice, Maschine is still top of its class.

Push is so slow and clunky.

• myalteredsoul
    myalteredsoul Member Posts: 202 Advisor
    Options

I have to agree. The Maschine UI is super solid and easy to use. Wish the plug-ins had actual animation on the screen tho. That’s a huge downfall with both the Maschine and mpc/force imo.

• wzdm.85
    wzdm.85 Member Posts: 67 Helper
    Options

Agreed. I think that would be my too feature request, but at the same time, it doesn't bug me too much. Maschine workflow is so fast because it is fairly simple. If I'm trying to get all nerdy about frequencies and compression and stuff, I'll probably be moving my project to Ableton.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,148 Guru
    Options

@D-One the Push 3 pads have the same feel as the previous Push, but they're sunk slightly lower into the top surface, and each pad is slightly larger than before, so there's less space between them, even though the whole 64 pad grid takes up the same space.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

Well, I am a bit skeptical about future upgradability of Push 3.... It is not that easy to switch to a new intel CPU. Push 3 has 11th gen, which is the last one that has just one type of cores. 12th and 13th have big.little. And comming intels even big.little.tiny.... OS and all SW must be able to scale correctly on such a architecture...

Anything is doable, but does not have to be simple and/or cheap....

• myalteredsoul
    Options

In the disassembly video I watched of the push 3, it looks like the same SOC used to assemble nuc kits, and same connector.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,609 Expert
    Options

Cases like this are like trying to point out what car on the market is the "best", each individual has their own workflow and ideas on what they consider important to them. What features one finds important isn't what the next Joe pinch penny will like so while it's great that you have test driven and found that Maschine is best for you it doesn't specifically mean it is Best (in all cases), I for instance have an exact polar opposite opinion given my Maschine Studio has about 6 inches of dust on it while my Push 2 is hammered on rather often. I also personally LOVE the drum sequencer of Push.

As for the forum activity, the NI forums are WAY more active than the tired and dated Ableton forum. I spent 10 years over there in the past but have left that ghost town because it's a barren landscape of little interesting conversation and anything that borders on "funny or interesting" conversation is shut down. For as much as I love Live, their ability to engage in a community setting has always been disappointing.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Options

There are a ton of Push 1 and 2s appearing all over ebay, so these are selling for sure, but it really looks like they are selling mostly to GASsers who have more money than sense, most of the Pushes that are showing up on ebay are barely used.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

@myalteredsoul

In the disassembly video I watched of the push 3, it looks like the same SOC used to assemble nuc kits, and same connector.

I spoke more about SW side of thing and cooling. Also focus to Intel may be questionable. Intel has many problems concerning CPUs. And it will take few more years...

• raphaël_
    raphaël_ Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

the CPU is definetly not weak for a sampler/groovebox. it's miles ahead of anything previously used in hardware samplers so far. i made full beats on mpc's with 64mb ram so having an intel i3 in a standalone device is pretty mind blowing. if they did a good job on the software coding side of things, this processor will be more than enough for a long time...

best part is, that it's gonna be ubgradable in a few years or so. i loved this modularity aspect in the old mpcs.

• Space Cat 303
    Space Cat 303 Member Posts: 108 Advisor
    Options

I agree with some of you.

At the time I found Push 3 brilliant, then I quickly noticed certain "omissions", the screen, the automation edition, no arranger mode...

We already have all that on the Force, which is why I sold M+ (which I still miss for its brilliant workflow) for a Force.

It has almost everything other Grooveboxes lack. The MPE less, and even if the workflow is much better than on MPC, and very close to Push in general, it does not reach that of M+.

If Ni releases an update, which includes automation editing, and a better CPU load to use more instruments, I'll take it home in a minute. Meanwhile the Force is for me the most complete standalone Groovebox, especially for the price.

• myalteredsoul
    Options

Working in the corporate side of IT and Dev, Intel CPU’s have never been an issue. Software won’t be an issue between SOC’s either as they all utilize the same instruction set.

Cooling and power delivery are the two limitations here. Personally, I’m just gonna build my own all in one out of the push, so neither are an issue. However, upgrades for less knowledgeable users won’t be an issue.

• raphaël_
    raphaël_ Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

i don't like to use touchscreens unfortunately, but if you do, the force is a great piece of gear for sure. would love to see ableton making the next Maschine+ ;) i personally dont think NI is capable these days to release a strong new product or software.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    edited May 2023
    Options

From the D-One quote: Push-3 just broke the paradigm of "You want better? then buy a whole new unit and pay 1500$", i don't think people quite grasp how crazy of a change this can mean for the whole industry.

NI could SHATTER this same paradigm with a well-designed integration of an iPad and control surface (with an option to add an integrated audio I/O).

All the software develpment of NI's future macOS products would also feed into this new and vibrant NI product line. Smart, smart smart!

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

They can't even keep a simple app like iMaschine alive... or simply don't want to, so it's pretty hard to imagine them pivoting to anything of that nature 🤷‍♂️