Maschine plus upgrades (ableton push 3 released)

Options

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    Options

With smart design of "mating" an iPad to a new NI controller.. it could be made simple and elegant for portability .And design an optional audio interface as a slot on the back panel of this new NI controller.

And this same new NI controller could be used without an iPad when attached to your desktop rig.

Smart, Smart, Smart!

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    Options

Yes, great, base a product on a heavily overpriced unrepairable fashion item with a built-in three year obsolescence made by a company notoriously ignoring standards.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

• ozon
    Options

@djadidai wrote;

I’m thinking that if Reaktor would be inside M+, that would be awesome.

It is!

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 610 Guru
    Options
  • Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Options

Well that is just uninformed nonsense, I have an iPad Air2, and this year was the first year it is not eligible for OS updates, so I got 9 years out of it, oh wait, nearly all audio software runs about three or four OS generations back anyway, so funnily enough it is still working, the battery lasts nearly six hours in heavy use, the screen makes these standalones look insanely out of date, the TUI is market leading, on and on and on and on, yes you don't like iPads, that is a fine position, no argument from me, but don't talk nonsense about them, it negates your point, just say you don't like them and move on.

To be honest, very few Maschine+ users look at this forum, it is not really a hotbed of activity, and most other forums just think Maschine+ is a joke (NIs fault for not doing more with it) once they admit it is legacy (Which in my opinion it is now, but they want to sell remaining stock so cant say it is) it could well garner a little niche cottage industry.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,300 Expert
    Options
  • tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 610 Guru
    edited June 2023
    Options

"appreciate that, especially coming from a respected player such as yourself"

I hope we will get lots more contributions once M+ OS updates to support Reaktor 6.5

I also got some new ideas regarding how we might be able to use Reaktor to generate something resembling "MIDI" in Maschine/M+.. but I'll post more about it once I have done more research on the subject ;)

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 153 Advisor
    edited June 2023
    Options

For a possible hardware maschine evolution I'd like to see:

- The addition of a column of "launch" buttons to the right of the pad matrix (as on push), overhung by a small screen and four buttons for accessing scenes, clips, patterns and snapshots. And to launch them with these buttons.

- At top right, a rotary knob controls master, group, sound and cue volumes.

- MPE pads to modulate various parameters, notably note repeat divisions depending on where the pad is touched. Of course, variations can be programmed on each pad individually.

- The touch strip positioned vertically to the left of the pads, as on ableton push. Much more intuitive. In particular, to control the volume of each pad or assign a macro would be very pleasant.

In general, review the layout of the buttons on the left-hand side of the controller.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

@nightjar

With smart design of "mating" an iPad to a new NI controller.. it could be made simple and elegant for portability 

I guess, it would be way better to use Win tablet instead iPad. Less troubles with obsolence and so on.... It runs real OS and so on....

I do not say, it is very good idea to use tablet (Win or iPad) this way to expand any unit....

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,300 Expert
    Options

Probably “expand” is the right word. If NI isn’t interested in porting their products to iPads, at least a “companion” app to expand Maschine controller possibilities would be cool. Something in the line of what @D-One once suggested would be a dream: an app to substitute the (also not much loved by NI) Jam. If I think about it, using the touchstrips wasn’t much more tactile than faders on a screen, using buttons for a proper sequencer was good but would be feasible even on a screen, and for launching scenes/snapshots (I always ask myself why they omitted patterns to be midi controllable, since you can on a Jam) and using volumes and macros I already use my self-made Loopy pro Maschine Midi Controller.

In any case, we should open a “nightjar promoting iPads/ Kubrak answering about Win tablet” thread 😂

• ozon
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Flexi

Well that is just uninformed nonsense

No, it’s not. My comment is based on several decades of experience with Apple products and policies. Hence, it’s just an observation of the sad truth.

Whether you like it or not, Apple thrives off planned obsolescence. Which is (sort of) acceptable in areas with very fast technological progress or for highly replaceable low budget commodities, but undesirable for expensive professional applications or assets requiring the laborious acquisition of knowledge and various mental and physical skills.

Musical instruments and studio gear are assets. Assets are an investment. Assets with planned obsolescence are a rather bad investment. Which can make sense under certain conditions, such as a pre-defined period of use, like for a certain project, but not in general.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

Nightjar suggests to implement on iPad, what already exists on Win tablet without any effort.... Just plug existing NI HW to it.... And use existing NI SW. Or any other.... And any other HW.

NI knows, how many Win "tablets" are used, what NI SW is there installed and so on. They may guess, how it might look with iPad. And NI has experience with porting two apps to iPad. Probably nothing very excitingly profitable.....

So, my reasoning is. If there is probably not much use on Win "tablets", why should it be much better on iPad? One would see, if iPad had the same OS as Mac.... And the price of SW for iPad would be the same like for Mac/Win.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options

You have described M+

The same reason for low Android development: core audio and core midi.

iPadOS/iOS are simplified versions of macOS focus designed for touchscreen and low power consumption.

Windows tried in the past to be the embed platform for hardware and guess what…

it ended being dedicated linux distro (yocto) like M+ but the software running on the new Akais is an evolution over the iPad one. Maybe due Apple’s limitations or maybe due Retronyms bugs enfuriating iOS community… even they (Akai) tried the tabletmpc

but the software at that time still wasn’t the actual. That time they focused on desktop to compete against Maschine mk2/3 so Akai did lots of mistakes until arriving nowadays proposal but you probably know it, right?

WinRT adapted to ARM embed was a fiasco even worse than WinRT or Windows Nokia Phone but hell yeah let’s going to put a nuc inside a M+/P3 with windows of course…

It didn’t work and it will not work because you need an OS designed for realtime audio midi and implement certain techonologies like touchscreen (and usable GUI), hot swap usb controller for file system and third party controllers (and midi class compliance or dedicated drivers like JAM), battery power management but caution with throtelling and rest/wake up… etc etc etc…

and in all these fronts iPadOS is ready from its inception. No need for macOS and Logic Pro iPad is the proof (not an eternal promise like AMD and not a marginal OS for musicians like desktop linux distros)

If you are going to suggest fitting a “barebone” or similar inside a M+/P3 then get a mac mini or if you want touchscreen and the proper tools for develop a useful touch interface then an iPad… or convince NI/Ableton to buy ElkAudio and Lemur/touchOsc to build a dedicated solution like iPadOs is for iPad but for their “closed garden” hardware. It’s the only way to do it right.

Everything else will end like WinRT or will be more expensive than Apple+midi controller combo… and hurry up! Apple has 13 years of expertise on each part of that product.

x86 platform is in their last steps for consumer/musicking field and AMD isn’t going to change it (or it will already happened) meanwhile Apple Silicon is leading the paradigm shift…

etc etc etc

Microsoft finally is accepting it. Maybe it’s time x86 users do it too…

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Options

Sounds like you have very little experience to be honest, the amount of studios that used Mac Pro towers for an insane amount of years is huge, a lot are only upgrading now to get the new architecture, the amount of time most producers own a Macbook is also insane, even their iPhones have zero built in obsolescence, but that area of technology just moves on very very quick, and users GAS.

I don't even like Apple, but you are talking nonsense.