Automation/modulation improvements

Comments

• epiphaneia
    epiphaneia Member Posts: 4 Member
    • simple line drawing with nodes that are easily editable (add/change/delete) on the hardware
    • "modifier LFOs" (as in Logic Pro etc) mappable to any automatable parameter (when I think of that, this would already include the "simple line drawing" with a "sawtooth LFO" with variable phase/intensity)

• BigDROP
    BigDROP Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2023

I’d love to see mute automation across the time line or an easy way to record the lock states on the time line. There is a work around but it too hard to make it work in a manageable time. If I import a one shot or samples auto detect the key and link it across the pads and keys accordingly. I need to see all midi notes from other tracks in the piano roll all at once or would like to select multiple tracks to see the midi nots simultaneously in the piano roll and edit them! Let’s be honest just take almost every feature of the piano roll from FL and I’d be satisfied. Custom scales and chords would be an added benefit as well!! Also transpose to key quantize to key what ever you want to call it. For example If I made a beat in A flat minor and just want to transpose the entire beat C major! That would be a God send as well!!!

• DoverBeach
    DoverBeach Member Posts: 48 Helper

Midi LFO/Modulation of everything. Notes, pattern lenght, probability.

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 424 Pro

ozon

Because Maschine does not have automation. It has modulation, which is explained in the manual. The biggest problem seems that 99% of the users confuse the two.

When NI calls it automation and the inference is that you can use it to control parameters such as volume, velocity etc, then it is understandable why people think of it in those terms. Generally, what is being called for is a proper editable system.

Surely if you are modulating say a volume amount over time, that could be available in the mixer or am I misunderstanding things?

Another vote here for aftertouch, very bizarre that it's never been developed, but there again you could say that about the other myriad of desired but very missing features.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,605 Expert

@tempsperdu

When NI calls it automation

The manual is very specific about what automation and modulation mean and how they are handled in Maschine. Please refer to the following manual chapters

9.3. Recording and Editing Modulation

In MASCHINE, modulation means the automatic change of MASCHINE parameters from an internal source (for example, manual changes recorded via Auto-write...). Value changes are:

Temporary: The modified value is valid only until the end of the Clip: When the Scene is looped or when playback is restarted, the parameter value is reset to its non-modulated value.

Relative (knobs only): For continuous parameters (these parameters are controlled by a rotary knob in the software), the new parameter value is defined as deviation from the actual value. Note that for selectors and buttons, modulation defines instead absolute values.

10.2.3. Controlling Parameters via MIDI and Host Automation

In MASCHINE, automation means the control of MASCHINE parameters from an external source (MIDI or host application). Value changes are:

Permanent: The new parameter value stays valid until a new value is defined (via MIDI/host or manually), even when the playback is looped or restarted.

Absolute: The new parameter value is defined regardless of its current value.

Both chapters explain the concepts in detail, including operation and available targets. There are a couple of places were the term automation is used incorrectly, especially in the M+ manual.

IMHO, it’s really important to use proper terminology to achieve meaningful feature requests.

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 424 Pro

ozon

IMHO, it’s really important to use proper terminology to achieve meaningful feature requests.

Being honest, neither of those 'definitions' match what I rightly or wrongly view as 'automation' or my understanding of Maschine, and I'd say many others think similarly.

When I talk of 'automation' I think of recording a series of parameter changes that can be used as is or re-edited to control a parameter value. Something as simple as on / off or changes in volume /velocity over time so that when played again those values are in place and the scene will play as the 'automation' defines.

Those values are modulations controlled by the 'automated' values, hence I cannot understand why, say, the volume of a channel mixer could not be controlled in a similar fashion other than the fact the controls are not accessible in Maschine as it stands.

If I 'automate' (auto write) a value as the scene is playing, it isn't temporary, it's there till I either erase it or re-edit it.

So far I have never used an external source, unless you count the Maschine controller itself, to affect a change in parameter values.

I cannot actually understand the quoted manual entries.

• Blezz Beats
    Blezz Beats Member Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2023

Gotta agree with starting with the basics instead of these cool and nice special features stated in this thread, based on what I heard an overwhelming amount of remarks on in my echo-chamber - Get rid of the pillars, replace them with automation (sorry, 'modulation'?) points connected by lines. Figure out a clever way to handle that (and visualizing modulation at all) in M+ standalone too.

If you wanna go the extra yard, add some nice line curvature tool.

• RafaelsTracks
    RafaelsTracks Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited December 2023

I have never understood the advantage of modulation. My suggestion is to just get rid of the modulation system, so automation really means to set the value of a parameter and not a change in percentages.

• Oleksii
    Oleksii Member Posts: 5 Member

1. There are not enough forms for drawing automation curves, such as line, exponential curve, etc.

2. Be able to create automation not only for the pattern, but also for the scene, regardless of the length of the pattern.

3. Copy automation.

4. Be able to see automation on Maschine+, mk3

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,605 Expert

If you write modulation for the filter cutoff into several patterns, and later decide that the movement is good but the sound should be slightly brighter in general, you can just go into the sound and open the filter a little bit more. With automation, you would jave to adjust or redo all of your written automation tracks.

• RafaelsTracks
    RafaelsTracks Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited December 2023

You're right, I understand that. But my problem is I always screw up the whole modulation when I move knobs to try things out. You need to set a "fix point" with lock states before, but this workflow is really hard in a big project. Maybe a connection of patterns and lock states would solve this.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 380 Guru

I was playing with an idea and did some modulation to a performance effect, but I got the timing wrong. I have this issue pretty often.

It then dawned on me: Go into the step sequencer and just fix it. Great. Not sure why I've never considered that before (I don't usually use the step sequencer)

So, specifically for M+, I suggest having some other mode in the step sequencer showing which steps have modulation, some function to quantize the modulation and some function to nudge the modulation points.

This discussion has been closed.