[New release] KONTAKT 7 is here

Options

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,741 mod
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi Kaiwan I understand fully why libraries are a longer term goal but to me the logical and most doable next step would be to make the rest of the Kontakt gui HDPI. It seems messy to see the crisp fonts and graphics of the browser contained within a toolbar that has a mix of crisp and blurry items including the Kontakt logo, all dialogues are decidedly loDPI with pixelated tiny bitmap fonts and tiny windows and worst of all the sample editor and mixers are also loDPI and too small on my 5k screen

to me these are all within NI’s domain to fix and not dependent on third parties getting up to speed with the libraries so should be the next priority (tbh I think those should have been completed before release but what is done is done)

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,713 mod
    edited October 2022
    Options

@sunbambino @abnegative You can simply copy the quickload foder from Kontakt 6 to Kontakt 7, you can find the folders paths in this article: How to Backup and Move your Quick-Load Catalog in KONTAKT

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

We still support Kontakt 6, we even offer technical support for Kontakt 5 users. What Kontakt 6 issues do you mean? If I check your past support requests you never contacted us for a Kontakt 6 issue.

• Quantium
    Quantium Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

I like that it's resizeable (finally, why all the programs can't do this, idk). New layout looks nice, the favorite stars should be empty but visible, instead of just invisible until you click on empty space. Can't really speak much else about K7 because anytime I go to load a sound, from any library, it freezes, stops responding and I have to close it.🤷‍♂️ #windows11

• thesheep
    thesheep Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Exactly this.

Getting an HiDPI interface for Kontakt was the main reason I upgraded to 14. I don't need most of the other stuff but I figured being able to increase font sizes and other UI elements in Kontakt would make things quite a bit easier.

I was confused when I opened it up and saw almost no HiDPI, virtually no improvement in usability for me. I figured maybe I didn't have the right the up-to-date version yet so thought I'd wait a few days.

I've now asked for a refund, no reply yet. I suspect I might have just passed the 2 week period. Hopefully they'll still allow me to return K14 in the circumstances. I don't want to have to update to K15 just to get a bit more HiDPIness in Kontakt 8. Might as well wait until they've finished the job.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Have you tried to rest Kontakt 7's database as explained in this article? KONTAKT Crashes

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 410 Guru
    Options

Actually, scaling hundreds of libraries written for smaller resolutions with built in fonts that are tiny on today's screen, with graphic assets that are not vector based is a big issue. At some point (and with Native UI) NI will move forward with scaleable hi-res alternatives, but to expect these libraries to be ported to Native UI, or upscaled with new assets and fonts isn't going to happen, I'm afraid.

I would agree, though, that it seems easy enough to allow scaling of the rest of the interface - if Maschine and KK are already based on stylesheets which can be edited, surely Kontakt can be redesigned to take care of this? However, based on NI's actually well thought out response, there's a high number of users it simply cannot drop a new codebase on, ignoring all those old, and still used libraries. Compatibility is the key concern at present.

• abnegative
    abnegative Member Posts: 59 Helper
    Options
  • nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,286 Guru
    Options

Maybe it's time to split the product line... Komplete and Komplete Klassic

• sunbambino
    sunbambino Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Jeremy, can I ask a question which might be interesting generally to all on this thread?

Having imported my Quickload Folders from 6 to K7 as you explained, I'm wondering if it is possible to add, say, a specific snapshot from Straylight (for instance Approaching Neverland) to a new Quickload folder in K7?

I tried using the dropdown to Show Enclosing Folder (in the old Libraries layout) found the snapshot and tried dragging it into Quickload but that didn't work.

• Jade81
    Jade81 Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Greetings,

I appreciate the effort, but below are 6 things I noticed after using it for less than 5 minutes, and frankly after waiting years for meaningful updates, I’m a bit disappointed.

Overall, I cannot stress enough that you guys really need to get the User Interface (UI) of this entire system up to modern times. I don't even like using the stuff I've purchased because the Kontakt container is such a buzzkill to work with.

1. We can't use up and down keyboard keys to preview sounds. We're required to click on every single item to hear it. When you're working, it's important to be able to move quickly and keyboard keys are best for this. This is just such a glaring miss right off the bat, I thought something was broken.
    2. The Kontakt container is scalable, but what does this do for us in terms of using the actual plugins/tools? They still aren't scalable. So, we basically get a larger view to see the hero/card art for each instrument and that is it. That's not much of an improvement, and that's not a true scaling UI when you look at the overall experience. The plugins are stuck at a tiny outdated low resolution size, and blurry at that.
    3. When in the Library view, we can't click on a hero/card to launch the plugin. Instead we have to click on the preview patch/setting in the list to the right.
    4. When the Side Pane is open we can't access previews.
    5. Plugins (even NI's) are not Retina/HIDPI-friendly? I spent $200 on Analog Strings, another $100 on Electric Mint, another $100 on Picked Acoustics, and more, and they are all way too small to enjoy and are blurry on my 27" Retina Display.
    6. There is a bug/glitch when loading plugins into the Kontakt container (Analog Strings, etc). Rainbow-like static imagery appears for 1-2 seconds. This is on a strong 10-Core Mac (i9) with 72GB of RAM, SSD, 16 GB AMD VRAM - 27” 5K Retina.

I would scrap the whole Kontakt system (maybe keep it minimally maintained if you have to), and plan something new that makes sense to end-users (not just partners that wan't to piggyback off the NI name and customer list), and figure out something that is enjoyable to use, as a UI should be.

I honestly don't see any strong reason to require something like Analog Strings to play in Kontakt (for the end-user). Kontakt is basically a clunky plugin launcher at this point. That and previews (also clunky in K7), which should just be part of each plugin anyway.

I hope this helps in some way. A lot of the stuff sounds great, but the UI leaves a lot of room for improvement.

JD

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor
    Options

Does the way of designing an interface in kontakt with ksp change with kontakt 7?

• TLaw
    TLaw Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Alas, I cannot open Kontakt 7. This also occurred out of the blue with Kontakt 6 and a few other programs in my Komplete Ultimate Collector's Edition package. So, $1000+ out the door.

The service team have been extraordinary--high fives!--in attempting to help me. They have not been able to solve the problem and have repeatedly requested that the developers look at my crash logs, but they have not heard back (likely because the team were working so hard in sprucing up Kontakt 7, which is understandable).

But at some point, I am going to have to abandon this investment, which, when it was working, was stellar. I have created successful tracks on it!: http://www.soundcloud.com/timothylawsnyder .

Best to each of you,

Tim

• abnegative
    abnegative Member Posts: 59 Helper
    Options

From what I've read, Kontakt 7 uses some new graphics engine (or something to that effect).

I've noticed that opening the Kontakt 7 VST3 within my DAW causes plugin windows to move choppily.. if that's a word. It's not as smooth. I've had this occur in both Reaper and FL Studio.

To reproduce, simply open K7 and drag the window. You'll notice it doesn't move smoothly. If you then open K6 (while K7 is open) it also will not move smoothly. However, if you close K7, K6 will begin to move smoothly.

I doubt this is a performance issue given the hardware I'm running on.

Has anyone else experienced this? NI, any insight?

This discussion has been closed.