[New release] Get more pro features with TRAKTOR PRO Plus

Options

Comments

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,608 admin
    Options

Hi @Royal Tee thanks for the honest feedback. Rest assured the feedback about long standing bugs has reached the Traktor team and they'll do their best to tackle those as soon as resources allow. Just curious, were you part of the beta test these past few months? We've been pretty active over there.

• Fatbat
    Fatbat Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

See, this is exactly my point. These features have been heavily requested since Traktor 3 came out close to 4 years ago, and you're only just "researching" them now with no real insight as to when they will be available, yet you've prioritized stuff nobody has asked for.

• Friedemann_NI
    Friedemann_NI Product Team Posts: 80 mod
    Options

tkurgpold wrote: Youll tell us that the people who own traktor won’t be left out, but I feel like there’s a good chance that in a year or two, all the good features are going to be for the subscription. 

I can understand your concern but can assure you that this is not what we intend to do.

The additional PLUS/subscription tier enables us to

• release new features individually and therefore faster, as we don't have to bundle them into attractive enough major releases
    • give everyone who bought a TRAKTOR controller the choice to stay on the feature set of the included version or to upgrade to PLUS, depending on their ambitions and budget
    • eventually migrate PLUS features into the BASE version if customer feedback and usage numbers show, that these should be part of the base version.
    • releasing maintenance updates and bugfixes beneficial for all customers more regularly, as PLUS is integral part of TRAKTOR PRO improving PLUS equals improving the base version.

Hope this gives you a bit of trust that as a long.standing owner of TRAKTOR PRO you will not be left out but rather get more diverse offering that will also contribute to strengthen the brand of your choice.

• Friedemann_NI
    Options

As understandable as your request is to ask for release dates, it is a fundamental rule of software development to avoid "fixed scope - fixed date" commitments because this leaves no room for the unexpected and believe me, there are a lot of unexpected things happening in software development.

But we fully understand the need to have more insights into the future of your beloved product, which is why we decided to at least share the running order of things, we are currently working on, with you and at the same time commit to quarterly releases but with a flexible scope.

"In Research" means that parts of our team are working on refining the exact scope of such feature and to fully estimate the development effort involved, which also includes to create working prototypes to validate the user experience in an early phase of implementation.

In the worst case, the research phase can unveil formerly unknown can of worms which potentially lead to dropping that feature. But usually the research phase will lead to refinements of the original specification and to more efficient implementation strategies.

So i this sense "In Research" is a natural step of a planned feature and not a tactical back-door.

• Friedemann_NI
    Options

49€ annually for just a few 'extra' features? really? This reminds me of BMW wanting you to pay a periodic subscription to be able to use your build-in heated seats after you bought the car.

I would rather accept to pay a one time fee for fixing a bug i reported years ago in TP2 already, which is still present in TP3. (@Djazzed )

Not that I want to defend BMW's product strategy here, but the idea behind this may have been that they can produce a single physical car for different kinds of customers & budgets, by enabling extra features on demand via software, which enables them to produce more cost-efficient.

TRAKTOR has many users that are totally fine and even overwhelmed with the feature set of the base version included in the controller they bought. These users will benefit from the fact that with PLUS we create an additional revenue stream for those users that are willing to pay the extra buck for getting access to additional features going beyond what is required to operate their hardware.

Regarding your long-standing bug, I would be interested to hear what that is and to check, where it stands on our priority list.

• Friedemann_NI
    Options

Thank you for you passionate words. I believe your standpoint and ours is actually not far apart.

You are describing a more diverse range of purchasing options for giving pro users like you the option to ensure quality and peace of mind by paying a higher price point.

Unfortunately in software, as you may know yourself, stability and compatibility is nothing you can isolate from the rest of the code like you can do easily with a feature.

We therefore have chosen a different strategy to ultimately achieve the same goal: higher quality - but for all users - by creating an additional revenue stream with the PLUS subscription, without forcing everyone into it.

This is why even though for you the subscription plan seems to be useless at present, it will ultimately lead to more quality and compatibility of the product for all users.

• Pippo91
    Pippo91 Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Thank you Friedemann for your your responce. Meanwhile, a friend sold me an old Mac that with some hardware refresh can run Mojave (and also Catalina) and Traktor 3 smoothly on it. So, I bought the Traktor 3 upgrade first, than paid the annual subscription for the Plus version for supporting your job and effort. Tonight I'm going to have the first live show with the new software. The Dynamic with the ozone maximizer is from another planet. Well done!

• Pippo91
    Options

yes, I was referring to M1/M2 compatibility. There are a lots of new mac users. I think this is a point to solve as fast as possible even if I understand the giant amount of work behind.

• Friedemann_NI
    Options

You apparently have followed the ups and downs of TRAKTOR's history quite closely over many years and accumulated much frustration.

Let me correct a few of your observations.

• Having been bought out and merging with iZotope has for sure costed us effort and has lead to reconsiderations of former strategic goals - but we can happily say that TRAKTOR is and will remain a relevant division of the (now) Soundwide group and therefore receive more attention than in the former transitional phase, which had a different focus.
    • We have lived up to our commitment to more transparency since the launch of the Public Beta program for TRAKTOR PRO 3.6 in June and with our recent decision to maintain a quarterly update public version of our feature roadmap.
    • "Actual DJs using TRAKTOR every gig" are the ones we care most about. For example, data loss in collection management and uncompromised sound quality after hours of operation are flagged with the highest level of priority in our bug tracking system. This would not be the case in a software made for "playing actors".
    • Me and my team are at least as frustrated as you, that certain issues have not been resolved a long time ago and that we have to spend a relevant part of our efforts to maintain and modernise TRAKTOR to respond to the constantly evolving environment of OS and Chipset updates.
    • Dropping nichey features sometimes is required to regain focus and maintain quality in more relevant domains.

All this said, I fully respect your frustration and hope that we can continue counting on you as a loyal user by proving that we do care with each of our future increments.

• 0x15e
    0x15e Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I was looking forward to subscribing to Plus but ... couldn't you guys have made the offer expire at the end of the week? I was waiting for payday but the promo expired the day before. :/

I was up for spending $25 on a year of it just to see what it was all about but $50 is more than I'm willing to gamble on software that's already proven to be inconsistently supported and frequently unstable. It also doesn't help any that most of the Plus features are only useful to controller users and I spend 90% of my time using timecode and an external mixer. There's just nothing in there worth $50 to me.

I've been using Traktor Scratch in some form for something like a decade now and regularly buying the main upgrades when they become available without much consideration. It's sad but NI has blown far too much goodwill for me to impulsively throw money at some paywalled features that are already being reported as having problems and have little or no value to me most of the time.

So ... saved me $25 then?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• d_j_m
    d_j_m Member Posts: 56 Helper
    Options

Weird. I literally have no problems at all on Windows 10.

• Djazzed
    Djazzed Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

@Friedemann_NI

You don't have to justify this decision. I am a software developer myself and understand that you need some new source of financing. I am just sure that this is not the right way and will annoy a lot of long supporting costumers like me. I just hope, for now, that the now called "base version" will not be stuck in "good enough" and miss out on any improvements (what i expect). If you want to retain happy customers i am sure a real version upgrade for 99-199 would have been a better option than throwing out random features nobody has asked for with a subscribtion model.

Regarding the long-standing bug:

When using a huge traktor library and do some searching, sorting or filtering (e.g. by key) the playlists starts to flicker constantly. it gets even worse when scrolling through the filtered/sorted playlist/library. It's very annoying and slows you down when you try to find the next perfect matching piece. Last time (TP2) i contacted support about this they literally said "that's a long known problem and we are not investing any work to fix that because it occurs rarely" while this rarely means almost every time for people like me. And TP3 does not fixed that either.

• Pippo91
    Options

Hi Guys! I've a MacBook Pro 14'' M1 Pro, with Monterey 12.3. How is it going Traktor 3.6.1 with this version of Mac OS and M1 Pro??? I would love to use my new Mac for Live sets but I'm not sure the system is stable enough :/ let me know your experience =) Are there any news from the NI's Staff?

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    Options

Traktor is compatible with Monterey and can be used with Rosetta on a M1 computer. AFAIK there's not much of a performance drop. Check out the detailed system requirements on this page 👇

• Pippo91
    Options

Thanks @Nico_NI ... Yep I read that someone is having stability issues with the M1 Pro, and there is some fix needed to make it work properly. So I'm stay with my old but gold mid 2012 MacBook Pro that runs traktor 3.6.1 (plus version) smoothly.

This discussion has been closed.