Sampler improvements

Comments

• SpencerTyler
    SpencerTyler Member Posts: 40 Helper

My main wish is to have proper time stretching when playing a one-shot across the keyboard. I mainly want this in standalone so I can use melodic C-note one shots rather than storing auto-sampled patches on my SD.

• AsylumSpeaker
    AsylumSpeaker Member Posts: 25 Helper

I'd like to see the sample map in Maschine exposed directly as a sample map in Reaktor, for existing Library instruments right now, and in future for user made content. The Sample Map object exists in Reaktor and has a very similar function to the Maschine multisample map.

• Phatnik
    Phatnik Member Posts: 19 Member

I wish it would be technically possible to use all three inputs, so that the mic one does not override the Line inputs.

• quincyhoist
    quincyhoist Member Posts: 7 Member

Many great suggestions above. Please keep NI Accessibility Helper (e.g. low vision/blind) users in mind when adding/modifying features and consider expanding support of common workflows like importing external .wav files to empty pads

• Triggi
    Triggi Member Posts: 48 Helper

Hi there,

i would love to see

• the audio module and the sampler module beeing consolidated.
    • live timestreching with automation funktion

Happy new Year!

• katto
    katto Member Posts: 7 Member

Why I prefer Maschine?

1 Hardware integration

2 Focused and fast workflow

What I wish for sampling?

1 To be able to rename the Audio inputs (name inputs according to your external instruments etc)

2 Have no limit for audio inputs and outputs

3 Renaming also for Midi channels

4 Merge sampler and Audio track (annoying to switch it)

4b Improve handling/sequencing of Audio loops / longer audio files

5 Fully open filter + More filters like Monark/MassiveX

6 Stereo to Mono

7 Able to edit Amp Env curves and Pitch env curves

8 Easier PRE-GAIN control (gain before plugins)

9 Round Robin

10 Granular sample scanning/looping

11 Phase adjustment (variable would be best, 180flip is fine too)

12 Warp audio in non-destructive way and better quality warp

13 Tuner (to find the key of a sample)

14 Read sample name for key (especially to automap multisamples)

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 387 Guru

I'm going to go "wish for the stars" mode and submit a feature request for maschine version 5:

I'd really love to see the sampler have a skipback mode like the SP404.

• Zoni
    Zoni Member Posts: 12 Member

I don't understand how are we only offered to pick improvements in these specific areas, when the biggest glaring flaw is the pixelated UI.

Fix the UI. This should be your no. 1 concern. Make the graphics adaptable to high DPI monitors so that fonts and everything doesn't look like a pixelated adventure game from 1995.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,648 Expert
    edited January 6

@Zoni asked

I don't understand how are we only offered to pick improvements in these specific areas

Most probably because those were the areas NI identified with their last survey and these are areas where major improvements are possible with minor increments.

Just be happy to be asked at all!

when the biggest glaring flaw is the pixelated UI.

Which is highly dependent on user setup and not an issue on the M+ or Mk3 while many other topics are…

• Zoni
    Zoni Member Posts: 12 Member

I don't think even with Mk3 I would be able to work fully without looking at the screen. Some things are still easier done with a mouse. But I haven't tried, and I won't, as long as UI looks like this. Even 8 years ago I was bothered by this. Now, it's beyond the point of absurd.

• Jean Voyage
    Jean Voyage Member Posts: 54 Helper

Here‘s what I posted on this forum about a year ago:

1. Sampling: I really need Maschine+ to let me convert samples to mono, both as a sum and individual channels. The workaround of recording just left or right to mono does not work when I want to mono drumbreaks that are spread across the stereo spectrum. And even when I want to isolate left or right but want to use parts from both channels, having to record the sample twice is a clunky approach. Why not make a tiny mono/stereo plugin that lets users sum stereo signals and play individual channels as mono center sounds. Ableton has it and it takes barely any effort to make (for a company that made the other stuff that’s in Maschine).
    2. Sampling/handling: I really need access to my recorded samples from different projects in order to be able to reuse stuff I previously sampled in other projects, i.e. I need access to the Recordings folder, and I want to be able to rename samples and tag them right on the hardware. Maschine+ is not a computer where I can just go into the file system, copy a file and store it somewhere for further use. I think you really need to account for that (and other workarounds people have been using for years on the controller/software combo of Maschine).
    3. Related: I need to be able to duplicate a sample file (not just the sampler playing it) in the sample edit view in order to be able to manipulate and chop out bits and stretch them while retaining an unstretched version in the same project.
    4. Sampler instrument (perhaps an alternative to 3): It needs a realtime time stretch/warp feature baked in. The audio instrument doesn't do it because it lacks most of the playback features of the sampler instrument. Extra points for vintage emulation. Look at Koala sampler for how this can be done.
    5. Kontakt: Why on earth wouldn't you let us load patches that we have collected over the years, even if the lacks some of the bells and whistles? I have a collection of old rompler modules and I really like some of the bass sounds in them. They are not CPU heavy at all and I want to use them on another NI product that supposedly has a version of Kontakt in it. Strip away what M+ does not support and give a warning. But please let us decide if we want to live with the tradeoffs of playing patches on a light version of Kontakt. These files load in Ableton Sampler, but they don’t load on Native’s own Maschine+. Please do something about that. (And I get that you don’t want to overburden the hardware, so just add a RAM meter next to the CPU meter and put it in users’ hands.)
    6. Generally I would like to be able to just browse my homemade Kontakt patches from within Maschine or have the option to batch convert them for the Maschine browser.
    7. I think groups should have multiple banks. Chopping a sample over two groups because you need more than 16 chops is backwards.
    8. Sync between computer and standalone library. I know this is a bit tricky but I am seriously bummed out by the fact that my favourites in my Maschine software are not favourites on my standalone unit.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,648 Expert
    edited January 8

@Jean Voyage requested:

Sampler: […] Why not make a tiny mono/stereo plugin that lets users sum stereo signals and play individual channels as mono center sounds. 

This can be done with the Stereo Utility ensemble available from the Reaktor User Library:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14563/

Kontakt: […] I have a collection of old rompler modules and I really like some of the bass sounds in them.

You can load custom Kontakt ensembles. Maybe you need to adjust or reconfigure them, as certain elements of LUA scripted UI elements simply don’t work on the Maschine UI. If you can make proper NKS presets for the instrument, it should be usable. Maybe you also have to consider the monolithic library files in some way.

Or, you could also make Maschine Sampler instruments out of those Rompler samples. Should be easy enough.

I think groups should have multiple banks. Chopping a sample over two groups because you need more than 16 chops is backwards.

Do you mean banks of Sounds?

PS: You can also chop a sample over the notes within the same Sound into Zones, just in case you didn't know.

• Wilmar Boer
    Wilmar Boer Member Posts: 67 Helper

Make an option that Loop recording in Sound mode doesn't stop recording at pattern end. But just keep on recording in the next sound slot. Than you can quickly do 8 takes of playing, set the audio plugin to gate mode en comp with an event over it to make one great take.

• Wilmar Boer
    Wilmar Boer Member Posts: 67 Helper

Bounce to sound slot feature. Suppose I've 4 recorded takes of audio in gate mode in pad 1-4, combed by an event over it for playing the right parts of the sound. Bouncing this to Pad 5 will free up pad 1-4 again.

This discussion has been closed.