Komplete Kontrol VST2 missing after 3.0.0 update

Options

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,867 mod
    Options

Are you running Live in Rosetta mode? (If you are on Mx)

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    Options

@rdalcroft Please try to force rescan the plug-ins in Ableton:

1. Open "Preferences" (macOS: CMD + "," / Win: CTRL + ",")
    2. Click the header "Plug-ins" (left side of the Preferences Window)
    3. Hold "ALT(Win)/Option(macOS)" while clicking Rescan (-> forces Live to scan all Plugins, not matter if new or old)

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Rollo To be able to use VST2 on a M1/M2 Mac you need to launch Ableton in Rosetta mode: How to Open Your DAW Using Rosetta

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 177 Helper
    Options

I have done that, Both ableton and reaper find the vst 2 ok.

But reaper crashes when trying to open it, and Ableton gives this message:

• rdalcroft
    Options

Because the vst2 is looking for Komplete kontrol 2.6.9 when it tries to open, and because its no longer installed, it throws an error, crashing reaper, and causing ableton to report that the vst 2 is not compatible.

Think about it? the VST2 is programed to look for the 2.6.9 version, It cant look for 3.0.2, because it was never programmed to do so.

• rdalcroft
    Options

Obviously it works for mac, because both program versions are installed at the same time.

on windows 3.0.2 replaces 2.6.9

• Jeremy_NI
    edited November 2023
    Options

Have you tried to install 2.9.6? Komplete Kontrol 2.9.6 - Last VST2 supported version

Is it working then?

Do you use custom vst folders in Ableton? Can you post a screenshot of your plugin preferences in Ableton?

• rdalcroft
    Options

Hello

Yes when I install 2.6.9 the vst2 works in both ableton and Reaper. I then copy that vst2 file, put it somewhere safe.

Install 3.0.2, put the vst2 back in my vst folder.

let it do a standalone scan.

Open reaper / ableton and this is what happens, reaper just crashes when opening the vst2, ableton finds the vst2 but gives the error that the vst2 is not compatible.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@rdalcroft What do you mean by "let it do a standalone scan."

I don't think you need to rescan after putting the vst2 file back in. Can you try one last time, without any scanning?

How to Keep Komplete Kontrol 2.9 (VST2) and Komplete Kontrol 3 (VST3) on Your Windows System

If that doesn't work, I'll create a support request for you.

• rdalcroft
    Options

No I meant after installing 3.0.2 I open KK in standalone, and let it do its scan. Which is needed.

then after that I close it, and open either reaper or ableton.

• Kymeia
    edited November 2023
    Options

This advice is missing one crucial step. While the scanapp in 3.02 is now renamed to scanapp3 so it can theoretically run alongside scanapp (v2), someone forgot to stop the installer removing scanapp (v2) as part of the KK3 install process. So people also need to back that up as well as the VST2, then put it back in the same folder as scanapp3 after install is completed, otherwise plugins will not scan or be updated in Komplete Kontrol v2, even if it is running alongside KK3, I don't think it can use the new scanapp3 (or if it does it might crash). 

I'm guessing that may be one reason some people are missing plugins and also a source of instability

Also I kept a copy of the standalone KK2.9.6 app in a renamed folder in applications.

• Super8boy
    Super8boy Member Posts: 72 Helper
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks. That’s great to know. Can someone at NI update the instructions to take this valuable information into account?

the whole thing is such a mess that since installing 3.0 a few weeks ago upon receiving my MK3 (also have a mk2 still for now to keep using vst2 on my other computer) for older projects, I ve been scared to do anything with all the disaster reports and conflicting information out there.

I was on KK 2.6 before so after installing 3.0, I’m not sure whether the vst2 DLL and other files got crushed or where I need to go from there.

@Matthew_NI @Chris_NI @Jeremy_NI

• Kymeia
    edited November 2023
    Options

I’m hoping they will also update the installer so it doesn’t delete the KK2 scanapp or VST2. To be fair they did take on board the fact that originally KK3 was overwriting the old scanapp with the new version, which is incompatible with KK2, by renaming it scanapp3, but they seem to have just forgotten to also not delete the old version, otherwise what would be the point of renaming the new one?

• zacmarkey
    zacmarkey Member Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

I keep seeing the advice to switch to VST3 - but that doesn't work in Ableton correct? That's why we have to use the instrument rack? I did the initial update but rolled back to the 2.9.6 right away because Ableton needs the VST2.

I have Ableton 10 (Windows 10, fully updated besides Ableton 10 - but can't afford 11) and only way Komplete Kontrol works properly is through the .adg but the .adg uses a VST2.

I know Ableton 11 is out but many people still use 10. Will it just not work with any future versions?

• patby
    patby Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited November 2023
    Options

The fix to downgrade to v2.9.6 doesnt work for me on Windows 10. I can neither open Komplete Kontrol, nor can I find the VST plugin in Ableton (in fact, Ableton crashes when rescanning the plugins). Is there any additional step necessary to find the VST2?