Say hello to our fresh new look

Options

Comments

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,593 admin
    Options

Glad to hear you like the new look @DSJXD_OKue!

Regarding Google redirects, someone brought up a similar point earlier in this thread and you can find our explanation here. There's also an ongoing discussion in another thread if you wanna chime in.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,114 admin
    Options

@DSJXD_OKue I'll chime in here too.

We know that a ton of users are coming from google and the redirects were carefully evaluated by our web and SEO team. It wouldn't make sense to do 404 since that would mean lost traffic and some of the content was actually properly mapped to this community (1000 individual URLs accounting for the majority of the traffic). The most ideal would have of course be to be able to map everything or migrate all the content but the old forum was left unmoderated for too long and a lot of the content was just not up to date. Migrating all this to the new space would have been a nightmare for everyone. At least here we know the content is up to date and if you don't find what you're looking for, there's plenty of people ready to help.

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
    Options

I have to log in every time on Safari on both iPad and iMac. Getting a bit tedious!

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,360 mod
    Options

For those of you who have login problems, check your browser settings! For example, if you configure your browser to delete cookies every time you close it, then of course, next time you will have to login again.

Last time i needed to login was 3 or 4 months ago... ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Matt_NI
    Options

@Sunborn Good tip.

We did have a session timeout setting with the wrong input until yesterday. Hopefully, it doesn't happen anymore if you log back in today @Tony Jones

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
    Options

I think I'd have noticed if every single website needed a relogin!

• ProfessorChaos
    ProfessorChaos Member Posts: 129 Advisor
    Options

The new look is fine, but you broke Google searches. If I go on Google and search for anything in particular, I see a lot of results pointing to this forum. And if I remember correctly, it used to be that clicking on a result would take me to the thread in this forum.

But since this change, any result on Google that leads to any thread in this forum, links to the home page of the forum, or at best, the category and you see the list of threads.

Really, you guys need to do more QC, in everything.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,062 mod
    Options

Nice work, i really like it ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

• Matt_NI
    Options

You're not clicking links that are for this community but the old one. We didn't break google search, read above and you'll find more context as to what is happening.

• tmpc
    tmpc Member Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Has all of the info from the old site been dumped?

• ProfessorChaos
    Options

OK, I understand, but the problem in practice is that there's a lot of useful info that I saw in the brief description for those results that ideally people would like to read more of, but then the link takes to the front page of the new forum.

So the user is kind of forced to type up a new question rather than read what somebody else posted about it and had a solution there. I understand some of that content might be outdated, but probably a lot of it isn't.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,132 Expert
    Options

"We saved all the content on our end in case we needed it or we wanted to make some available to users."

(Source)

• Matt_NI
    Options

We can't think about a change like that and account for every single use cases, every URLs and every threads. I'm sure there will be more cases where the info would have been useful but a lot of the content was in fact outdated or inaccurate. By design, if it leads to the homepage I know the content was ranking in the lower 10% and was getting less than 300 visits in the last year. While perhaps useful, it's hardly critical when you consider the volume of visits and page views. We prioritized what was critical and valuable to the majority of visitors (and that content is already here).

We didn't just decide to turn off a switch and be done with it. We spent a ton of time looking at data and the content in the old community. We are all pretty confident we made the best long term call to give users access to the best and most useful information in the future.

• ProfessorChaos
    Options

Fair enough. But my eyes and my brain would be extremely grateful if you guys could make the forum like most of them these days, with the option of light or dark. I'm editing in Logic, then I have a question about something NI, so I open Safari, load this forum and it's like the sun decided to step in front of me. My eyes can only take so much abuse.