Say hello to our fresh new look

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,577 Expert

Understood, that's why a request for an Option is on the wishlist. Of course there are some that like burning their retinas, have bad eyesight or just don't gel with dark colours.... but funny how that can be of such a debate over a web page but no one seems to be vocal over the dark theme of a DAW like Maschine for instance, at least not enough for there to be an option for a light coloured theme.

But anyway, I will just continue to use the chrome/firefox dark theme plugin since I doubt it will ever be a feature.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,324 mod

MUCH better indeed! Good work.

I see you are talking about themes (dark vs light), so here's my opinion. First of all, i am a huge fan of dark backgrounds instead of the light ones. Usually, this white background it really makes my eyes tired.

However, many things are depending on the tone. For example, colors #ffffff (full white) and #000000 (full black), are both extremely annoying, while #eeeeee or #222222 are much more comfortable for the eye. Also, many things are depending on time! Sometimes during the day time, i appreciate a light background, while in the night it is always impossible to work with it!

On the other hand, for my "taste" (or, for my "eye configuration" if you like), a light background with lot of colorful images, looks nice and relaxing, while a dark background with lot of colorful images can tired my eyes quickly.

So, as you see, there is no "golden rule" here. Personally i would like to have both options and change them as i pleased. I believe that you can do it in the same way as some browsers (for sure Firefox has this option), they recognize automatically your system settings and change the background automatically.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor

Very much putting my hand up for the dark theme please!

When I logged in just now, there was a moment of a 100% complete white screen. Not nice. So glary and hard on your eyes. There's so much white space on the forum pages I find it horrible and tiring to work with. Ive taken all the blue light out of my monitor and gone for a warmer tone but that only helps a little. Even with the brightness of my monitor set very low, it still doesn't suffice to stop the "hit you in the face" glare of a lot of white space. That said, I agree with @Sunborn's comment in that certain colours on a dark background can be uncomfortable. Especially if they're bright. I find that bright white text on a pitch black background is annoying and tiring as well. An offwhite text on a darkgrey background is the real sweetspot for me.

What would be best is for the forum to offer a choice so everyone can choose what suits.

• The P.O.T.Y
    The P.O.T.Y Member Posts: 41 Member

Change is good 😎

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

You echoed my thoughts on the colours perfectly. You had me right up to the last paragraph and your use of 'golden rule'.

The golden rule absolutely applies, especially in a forum. I know... I'll shut up now.

• Gee_Flat
    edited February 2023

So I see you guys restored the comment count. Thanks.

Two more things i've noticed:

1. The only way to make a reference to a comment is to right click on the timestamp and copy link
    2. Clicking on a title doesn't take you to the last comment, but only the Best Answer if chosen.

Maybe a link to both would be better. Just observations, not demands. 🀐

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,110 admin
    1. Yes I also think that's a little annoying. We'll ask our provider to see if this is something they can add.
    2. Clicking on a title should take you to start of the thread when you're visiting it the first time but the second time should add #latest to the URL to take you to last comment. Now that you mention it, I don't see this happening anymore. We'll investigate.
  • Gee_Flat

Not a big deal to me and now I get the picture. I figured this was an extension of a CMS and the admins had 'Komplete Kontrol' over the administration control panel.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,577 Expert

Yeah that's most peoples' sentemant on these "all white" sites, fine for those that may have smaller screens (or just use their phones) or working in a bright room but when you have a nice dim room with filtered light to do your work and then decide to quickly click open the forum to check something, BAM , blinded by the light.

This is what it looks like using the Dark Reader plugin in Chrome and it actually works now much better with the newer fonts.

Issue I had before was because the font for the "unread" threads was just not distinguishing enough from the other text everything would get lost when it was converted to dark and it became more of a chore to try and sift through.

Helps to hide the 70% of unused white space on the page behind a more subtle tone.

But yeah, I think the point is an option to choose would be VERY welcomed by many (but of course humans being unique creatures, not all will agree).

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 798 Guru
    edited February 2023

Like the font change. Like the white background.

Not keen on the banner... first look I thought the site had gone down and I was seeing one of those janky 'buy this Domain Name now' pages from 10 years ago... (apologies to the designer)

The only thing that's really bothering me is losing the avatars from the front page. When I scan new posts, I can see via avatars immediately who has posted recently.

One other thing I noticed that may or may not be related. On the Reaktor page, the link to the Building with Reaktor sub page used to show the latest post. Now it's just a big 'sticker' with a blue disk logo. It's not even clear that it's a link - looks like it could be heading. I guess it would make sense if there were more than one sub forum... but there is only one on the only part of the site I visit regularly

Can it revert to showing the title of the latest post details when its the only sub forum?

• solsta
    solsta Member Posts: 93 Helper

love the theme and layout, and I do agree with @JesterMgee I would like a dark theme on the website. I have two 32 inch monitors and late night it is a harrowing experience being hit with that heavenly beam, I don't even need room lights at night when the forum page is open. πŸ˜†πŸ˜­

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor

@JesterMgee "Yeah that's most peoples' sentemant on these "all white" sites, fine for those that may have smaller screens"

Mines a 27" so yea that has a lot of blinding white space. As I type this I'd make a guess theres at least 90% white Im seeing. If they won't give us a dark theme I wonder if its possible for them to tone down the white background and make it an offwhite/cream colour or something.

• Gee_Flat

I don't get it man...

You have these things called windows. You can resize them to be the size of a tablet and then you have your regular desktop wallpaper in the background. Or if you're sitting across the room like I am right now, I have my browser zoomed to 150% on a 32" monitor, and its like having a giant tablet 7 feet away.

I get it... you want your groovy dark screen in your groovy environment so can trip out and be groovy, but you can also adapt to what you have without suffering the way you say you are.

When the electricity is gone then you'll have something to whine about. There'll be no bright lights... anywhere!

• Stormchild
    Stormchild Member Posts: 51 Helper

I always appreciate having a dark mode as an option, but it should definitely be optional. When a switch can’t be provided, you can use this CSS media query to follow the user’s OS-level dark mode setting:

@media (prefers-color-scheme: dark) { [dark mode styles] }

Only users who have set their OS to dark mode will see the dark theme. Making it user switchable is quite easy though. All you need is the ability to add a class to the root (html) element, and then you can scope all your dark styles to that class.