Say hello to our fresh new look

Options

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

Ohhh dang, adblocker is a great idea, way easier than what I've been doing!

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    Options

What happens if I get to a 1000, do I get a prize?

Someone asked me where to find the Highland Bagpipes. -> World K3-6

The other person I sent the sample to in a private message ended up buying Kontakt.

I don't know. Would you like to see a screenshot of all the people thanking me for the help I gave them privately over the past week?

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,353 mod
    Options

You do not need to apologize. It was meant as a joke and, more importantly, as a way to finally END this pointless "off topic debate", since there is no "unfollow discussion" option yet!

Anyway, if you want to discuss something "to the point", musically related (and always on topic!), you are welcome. Otherwise, please stop wasting my time, i won't respond anymore.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,114 admin
    Options

@Gee_Flat @Sunborn let's stop it there because it's derailing this thread. Thank you!

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro
    Options

Dear NI,

When I just go to visit the NI community, I...

• click on accept cookies
    • still have to log in so often I wonder what the cookies are about
    • have to skip/scroll to yet another new layer of shiny obstacles before I get to see any, you know, content. All of the buttons starting from "see benefits" offer nothing of value to me. They make up for that by looking so alike in their abstract symbolism that I can't tell which is supposed to be what. I am sure some graphics design team was like "That's it! The two little blue pills are for -ask the community-". What else could they stand for? And the amorphous blob which looks almost like the blue pills naturally is for connecting with creators. On my phone these take up a whole screen. When I scroll by, I get a news feed I did not come here for.
    • click on categories (or I click on the burger menu on the phone and only THEN do I click on categories
    • click on whatever I am interested in, provided I did not lose interest by now. (Narrator: he, as a matter of fact, hast lost his interest by now)
    • wonder where the new stuff starts, I scroll down, I scroll up and find there is next to no visual indication of where the stickies end. A problem that on any other forum has been solved back in 1995

It's around 5 to 6 clicks and confused scrolling every time I want to stay in touch with what other people are talking about.

And I feel like I tire of it.

I read that you get way more interaction and participation on these new forums. I hope, you are not counting clicks, because, believe me: Those are about something else altogether!

TL;DR - losing interest, hope you are fine, cya

• Matt_NI
    Options

@Murat Kayi I merged your new thread because we already had this conversation here.

What browser are you using? I don't get sign-in request or cookie consent but I can try to reproduce if you using a specific browser (i'm on Chrome). I had another report just now so curious to understand when and where it happens because none of us have the same issue here.

The structure is intentional and perhaps isn't super relevant to you but we're checking usage so we'll make changes if necessary. What types of community are you using besides KVR/VI?

These wider community have different needs and do not prioritize the same engagement or even probably the same user groups (since here it's more about NI users).

We still have tons of improvements on the way from our provider but in the meantime, it is a fact that we do get more valuable engagement than the old forum (especially a year in). Not perfect at all and we have a very lengthy list of things we'd like to add but we also don't have all the resources in the world and a lot of the trade-off we made are done so we can get features we felt were more vital in the long run. This is also how we picked the platform. It's easier for the provider to introduce new announcement stickies than it is to have a robust API or integration with 3rd party tools.

We don't measure clicks but we have a set of metrics we think are a good representation of how things are going and if we see any dips, we'll make changes. As an example, you're saying the mobile experience is poor right now and that feedback is useful for us to make sure we really check the data. Meaning, I would imagine that we'll see that broadly with mobile usage going down, bounce rate from search goes up, active users going down ...

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    Options

Trust me. This thing got derailed when 'fresh new look' became inundated with 'stale old views'.

• Murat Kayi
    edited February 2023
    Options

thanks for merging, @Matt_NI !

I use Firefox. I made no kinds of deliberate attempts to block anything that goes on on this website, so the repeated log outs come as a surprise. Don't know what is going on, there.

I am not too young anymore, I am sure you can tell by how grumpy I am - however I used countless forums over the years, for gaming, illustration and whatnot. How other websites/communities prioritze what exactly I can't tell and frankly, I don't care.

What I can tell you is this: Just now, I wanted to re-check the Maschine forum to possibly post a screenshot of how I can not tell what is a sticky. There is this tiny tag. "Announcement". Tiny Tiny Tiny. Scrolling ensues every time. And I figured you don't need a screenshot to check this. Just open the forum.

But when I wanted to check the Maschine forum for this, I went to "Categories" and I am greeted with 16 giant buttons with completeley identical graphics! These graphics provide absolutely no information or clarity or distinction. But they take up a lot of space. And this is on desktop! On a mobile phone it takes up 3 (!) display sizes of cloned graphics and tiny letters! I don't know how to explain anymore how bad this design is.

I realize, of course, that in general, my misgivings are subjective. I just find myself skipping over my previously pretty regular check-ins to the NI forums and I thought I'd just let you know and get to maybe talk to others who dislike the UX decisions lately. If I am alone in this, this is naturally just too bad for me and I actually congratulate you on the improved statistics.

• Matt_NI
    Options

@Murat Kayi Some bits and pieces are still in the works right now. There is a small issue with the category pages but it will revert back to a list (not icons) rather soon. What you see if a fallback we had to implement while we sort the other version out (hopefully next week).

I'm checking the issues with login, it seems to be more prominent on Firefox since we had three reports and same browser so far.

• Murat Kayi
    Options

@Matt_NI thanks for your responsiveness, it's highly appreciated

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor
    Options

Hi @Matt_NI - FWIW Im afraid I totally agree @Murat Kayi re the Categories Page. My first reaction to it was scratching my head wondering what all these similar graphics were trying to achieve. I found it confusing and not easy and quick to find what I was looking for. Theres not even the latest post in each subforum. The more recent format was better than this.

I'll risk saying again that the old forum format was best. ( I mean the original one) It was quick, things were set out in a logical order and things loaded quickly. I'm finding Im getting lost trying to find stuff.

Id like to mention again also the importance for some of us, and some real old timers around here as well, please please consider an option for dark mode. Similar to what @D-One mentioned, I dont have an option for a dark mode plugin but can tweak my browser settings but it interferes with how other sites work as its a global setting.

Is there a way for me to show my forum activity? (of course when Im logged in).

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,353 mod
    Options

That, is a good point. Though i love images and i, 100% prefer them instead of plain letters, this is a bit confusing. It would be much more helpful (and much more beautiful too) if each category has an image of the corresponding software, instead of those generic icons which makes no sense.

• Matt_NI
    edited February 2023
    Options

@Sunborn @Jojo123 It should have been mentioned in the post but this is not how it should look like. This is a fallback page with a random artwork and yes it's confusing the say the least 😅

We had a last minute issue with that page and unfortunately can't get it sorted until one of our dev can jump on the task. The page should essentially just be like it was before with a list of categories in plain text. We'll probably have individual images for each category eventually but the category page without images reads better on mobile iirc

• Matt_NI
    Options

@Murat Kayi I think we found the issue with being logged out. Hopefully it's sorted now but if you keep being logged out let me know 🙌

• DSJXD_OKue
    DSJXD_OKue Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Dear community, congratulations with this new forum!

It looks beautiful and intuitive.

Still, I have one complaint:

Has anyone figured out that many NI users end up on this forum by asking a question in Google?

Where have the old topics gone; are these going to be redirected?

Instead of landing on a 404 page, we now see the new homepage and therefore not the answer to our question