Kontakt 7 Crashes on Mac M2 Ultra with Samsung Ultra-wide screen (KT-8785)

Options
124»

Answers

• shrinktofit
    shrinktofit Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

FYI, I had an issue with Kontakt 7 (7.9.0) crashing as standalone or in Logic. I was running Mac OS Ventura (13.6.3). Turns out it was completely resolved by upgrading OS to 13.6.6!

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,945 mod
    edited April 11
    Options

Hey all, this issue might be related to a bigger one, for those of you that still experience kernel panics where the whole computer crashes when using Kontakt 7, issue seems to be on Apple side but we would need some info if you're affected, please check this thread. Only if you have a full Kernel Panic and your whole Mac crashes, Kontakt app or DAW crashes are totally different issues. Thanks for understanding.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,304 Guru
    Options

Can you share any deeper info on what's happening in the interaction of NI code with Sonoma?

Is it related to a new manner in which Kontakt 7 VST is handling video/graphics differently than other NI products?

So at least we may have a better idea of where the solution from Apple may be.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@nightjar Well, if we knew that we would not need to gather information. Please check the thread I have linked, there is also more information there.

It's not specifically Ni's code and not sure yet why these crashes started to happen with Sonoma. Kontakt 7 and other recent NI plug-ins use QT for their graphics. These crashes seem to be related to graphics when inside a DAW, we're still investigating but there's a lot of issues with some M2/M3 Macs and when updating from 14.3 to 14.4 for a lot of third party developers, not only NI. These kind of crashes are pretty unusual on Macs, hopefully Apple fixes it at some point.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,304 Guru
    edited April 11
    Options

Your reply DID offer some more info that is helpful to me.

I'm not wanting anything too specific about NI's code.. but just the general area that the problem seems to coming from. And you have stated that the crashes seem to be related to graphics when inside a DAW.. that is MORE than anything that has been said by NI to date.

So as we await a solution, at least we can keep an eye on what Apple may be doing with graphics-related tweaks in forthcoming betas of Sonoma... and how they behave with Kontakt 7.

This info is appreciated as we "cutting-edge" Mac users wait "patiently" for a fix.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Cool, then I'm happy I could be helpful. All this has to be taken with a grain of salt, until we are able to reproduce the issue in house.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@nightjar Also in another thread, one user mentions that today:

So far, the macOS 14.5 public beta seems to have taken care of my issues with Digital Performer, Logic Pro and multiple monitors. Keeping my fingers crossed that the released version does the same.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey all, latest update:

We are currently working on a fix to the issue, and have an experimental build of Kontakt available. Please note that this update is in the process of being verified, and may introduce other unforeseen issues. If you’d like access to this experimental update, please get in touch with our Customer Care team here: https://bit.ly/NI_support_kontakt (we already contacted some of you that already had contacted about on the issue)

For those who wish to continue using the released version of Kontakt, the following workarounds may reduce the frequency of crashes:

• Avoid using an external monitor if using a MacBook
    • Try an alternate connection (e.g. displayport / thunderbolt if using HDMI, or vice versa)
    • Adjust resolution or frame rate of external monitor
    • Use a different external monitor

Additionally, early testing indicates that the crashes are less likely to occur on macOS 14.5, which is currently in public beta. However, no timeframe for this macOS update is currently available. You can access their beta here: https://beta.apple.com/