Kontakt 7 Crashes on Mac M2 Ultra with Samsung Ultra-wide screen (KT-8785)

Options

Answers

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru
    Options

What's the actual kernel panic message that it gives you when your system boots back up? About half way down the crash trace it should tell you what the panicked task was. Mine was "Panicked task 0xfffffe1666ca3498: 18006 pages, 35 threads: pid 162: WindowServer" it was always the WindowServer.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a different monitor you can connect to your Mac for testing? I moved my Mac around the same time things "magically" started working, which also meant I went from my Samsung Ultra-wide to a pair of LG monitors. I've been wondering if my Mac just didn't like the Ultra-wide. I've heard that Mac's are sensitive when it comes to non-Apple displays.

• Peter Knockaert
    Peter Knockaert Member Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

OMG! I DO have a Samsung Ultra-wide screen (Samsung Odyssey OLED G93SC)

I don't have another monitor in place... Damn. Maybe that's it! I'll try to find a solution for that! If I manage to link my mac studio to another monitor I'll try that too and I'll let you know!

Just a thought: would it be different if I set the screen resolution to something different?

• Peter Knockaert
    Options

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just tried to use my Macbook Pro as a screen for the Mac Studio. And than tried to run Kontakt; NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!

Reffahcs: you're my hero!

One last problem to overcome now: getting a new screen? (I LOVE the widescreen, especially for Logic, Final Cut Pro and for InDesign). Or would there be a workaround for this?

• reffahcs
    Options

I don't think changing the resolution would fix the issue. I have the 49" which can do side-by-side and it didn't seem to matter if I used the full ultra-wide resolution or if I ran it in side-by-side mode. It crashed regardless. Not just Kontakt though, there were other programs as well. I haven't had a kernel panic for any reason since switching monitors.

Actually I was using the built-in HDMI port as well as TB4-Display port. But I never bothered to see if one caused less issues than the other. You could try just using HDMI or just using TB4-Display port? That's the only other thing I could think of to check.

• reffahcs
    Options

Oh wow, yeah we basically have the same monitor. I think mine might be an older model? The stand is slightly different than yours. Weird that a monitor could cause so many issues. @Jeremy_NI well there ya go. MacOS, Samsung Ultra-wide and Kontakt is a lethal combination apparently, lol.

• Peter Knockaert
    Options

And now also THAT is solved!!!!!

Solution: connect the monitor via HDMI to HDMI

And DON'T use HDMI to DisplayPort.

(Stupid stupid me had not tested that yet...)

(How do I set this article to 'solved'?)

Thanks sooooo much for all assistance!

• Peter Knockaert
    Options

Definitely weird! But woooohooow!!! Back to making music now!!

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    edited January 4
    Options

@reffahcs @Peter Knockaert Well, first, sorry, I was out of office for a few days. I'm happy to see that you sorted this out together. This also could be very helpful in the future for other users, we'll keep a note of that. I will change the original title of the thread, I hope it's ok with you.

• GaryV
    GaryV Member Posts: 8 Newcomer
    Options

Hi everyone. I know this may be late but my Kontakt 7 still isn't working well with Sonoma even if I've already had to pout aside my Samsung 57" Ultrawide monitor. Im back to my old display and Kontakt used to work fine on it but for some reason it still crashes at mid use.

I've decided to downgrade to Ventura from Sonoma. I admire those who haven't encountered any problems with Kontakt 7 and Sonoma.

I'm hoping my downgrade does the trick.

Just wanted to hank you guys for all this info you shared

• GaryV
    Options

Mac Studio M2 Ultra

• Peter Knockaert
    Options

Hi! I also noticed now - after having started to use hdmi to hdmi with the Samsung monitor, that when I set it to 240 Hz, the same thing also happens; complete crash. When set to 120 (or 60) Hz, everything runs fine!

I don't think necessarily think Sonoma is the great evil.

• GaryV
    Options

Thank you Peter!!! Ok I’ll stick to Sonoma then and I’ll try setting my Samsung 57” to 120Hz or 60Hz. Truly appreciate the help

• GaryV
    Options

Peter!! I found where the problem may have been. Im connected to QNAP Qfinder Pro. Kontakt 7 doesn't give me any problem whatsoever if Qnap isn't launched. But that would mean I won't be able access the files that are stored in my QNAP. Perhaps u[dating Qfinder Pro may do the trick.

• Peter Knockaert
    Options

No experience here with QNAP. I do have an external enclosure from OWC with my libraries on (Thunderbay 8) and that runs perfectly fine through Thunderbolt 3. But probably you do need to update to very latest drivers to have it working like you want/expect...

• strigi
    strigi Member Posts: 54 Member
    edited March 19
    Options

Hey question for you (since I'm going through this hell as well over here: https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/27721/kontakt-7-window-across-multiple-screens-causing-kernel-panic-shutoff-on-mac-studio/p1?new=1

... what is your Kontakt 7 zoom level when you open Kontakt 7 while in the DAW? My hunch is that this is related to some kind of graphical DPI swap (potentially the "async swap") that happens when the plug-in windows open for the first time (or honestly any random subsequent time) and/or as the plug-in windows get stretched/moved to other displays. Some ChatGPT thoughts I came across:

"The specific error message you encountered suggests that there was a problem with initiating an async swap operation, possibly due to a platform or hardware limitation or a bug in the system's memory management subsystem. This kind of issue could lead to a kernel panic if the system cannot successfully manage its memory resources or encounters an unexpected condition during the swap process."

...so it makes me wonder if this issue is related to the fact that since the new Mac Studios utilize swapping (and since the error is asynchronus [i.e. that the short process never resets and lets the GUI load regardless of initial memory]), that there's a little "pop" in the GPU that forces a kernel panic. Also, I have no effing idea what I just said, LOL.

But anyway, could it be because of the scaled UI settings in Kontakt 7????? I see the solution for you was HDMI to HDMI (which I think works for me also, but since I have two displays, I'm utilizing USB-C on my main display; I guess perhaps I could try HDMI to HDMI on my main display, but that means my second display I'll have to convert USB-C to HDMI anyway, and then am I right back where I started? LOL)

What I've tried:

• Contacting senior support at Apple (they said it's 3rd party related and can't help and won't send me to Creative Apps division or w/e the heck it's called)
    • Submitting the report straight to Apple Engineering (heard nothing back from them)
    • Safe Mode (doesn't help because you can't load 3rd party plugins in Safe Mode)
    • Brand new HDMI's, brand new USB-C, different display configurations (only thing I haven't tried are brand new monitors... well, because I'm broke boi after buying this computer)
    • NVRAM reset (useless on Apple Sillicon)
    • Power cycling (unplugging too)
    • Separate sessions in the DAW
    • New sessions
    • Save As on new files and just straight up loading new files (in case files are corrupt)
    • Disconnecting as many peripherals as possible

For now, it seems the 100% is working, but I'll keep testing! :)