Plugin window sometimes just black in Logic since 3.1 / Bug KBDSW-7816

Options

Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,839 mod
    Options

It needs to also fix this though which is a related but longer-standing bug in Logic

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/18886/komplete-kontrol-ui-issues-in-logic-pro-with-third-party-plugins

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,913 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey all, Komplete Kontrol 3.1.1 was released yesterday and addresses the issue, please update in Native Access.

• cdion
    cdion Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Thank you everything works well now

• blomquist
    blomquist Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Still seeing graphical glitches in 3.1.1. As you can see in the screenshots the instrument itself displays fine but the controls of KK often times are either just black (but clickable if you know where the buttons would be) or show weird artefacts.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 906 mod
    Options

Are you on Sonoma? That looks like a bug we're tracking as part of our Sonoma work.

• Scott McFayen
    Scott McFayen Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I am also getting this. On Sonoma 14.3, M1 Max, Logic Pro X 10.8.1, KK 3.1.1

• Scott McFayen
    Options

I appreciate that software development is hard. I get that things go wrong. It's okay. However, I'm kinda starting to wonder about NI's QA practices. In recent memory we've had doubled MIDI notes, UI appearing blank and now UI appearing with coloured noise. All show stoppers in my view. Maybe it's just bad luck, maybe some of it was outside of NI's control. I don't know, that might be. However, I can tell you I do not have these troubles with my UA plugins as an example. I don't think I've ever found a bug in my Eventide plugins. There are many other developers with products that are rock solid. Developing new products is important and great, but if your existing products don't work because they're serially broken that's a problem and it should be looked into imo. This sort of thing can potentially tarnish a brand.

• Kymeia
    Options

That's the bug I mentioned above - not the same issue as the black screen one and it has a different cause but still annoying

• Kymeia
    edited February 4
    Options

In recent memory we've had doubled MIDI notes

That was a Logic issue and it occurred with other plugins from other companies too - they fixed that

now UI appearing with coloured noise.

There's no 'now' about it, the black screen bug was the newer one, and actually got fixed pretty quickly comparatively speaking. The coloured noise one is older, but it's also harder to fix as it's bound up with some Logic changes in how it handles plugins (although it only affects KK3 so NI will no doubt be in communication with Apple on that one)

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 442 Guru
    edited February 4
    Options

I am progressively getting the feeling (and I do not want to throw those accusations lightly), that NI has no really idea on how to program modern, compatible and conforming to Apple Xcode guidelines software on a Mac. Really sad.

From all possible DAWs on Mac, NI should test on Logic FIRST, at it is most common DAW on the platform. But, and I'm not joking - until recently, NI admitted that they didn't even have M3 Mac to test on (and not sure if they have acquired one since then).

Not much better on Windows, borked firmware upgrade for Mk3 keyboards and GUI not showing on monitors with 144Hz refresh rate (Samsung UW). Supposedly was OK when refresh rate was lowered to 120Hz. I have not heard about single plugin which does not show GUI because monitor's refresh rate is too high !!!

Well, they do like 1080p with 60Hz refresh - judging from non-scalable pixelated GUI design, so there is that...

Hopefully they do test on Intel and AMD under Windows, or maybe just i5/i7, cause i9 is "too new" and AMD is "too fancy"? 😂

Honest to God, maybe use a modern environment like JUCE? Or something, cause this really is embarrassing, guys...

• cdion
    cdion Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

woo woo people - NI is providing software solutions to many varied environment and multiple UI - we need to be a little be more comprehensive - for the last two big problems, they were resolved within a few weeks - lets cool down a little :)

• Scott McFayen
    Options

Yep, I agree some of the problems I listed may be outside of NI's control. They're building products that operate in other people's environments. That must be very challenging. I tip my hat to all of the software developers who are able to maintain solid products under conditions like that. It's very impressive indeed.

The fix for the blacked out UI came from NI if I'm not mistaken. It seems notable that NI didn't know about that bug until it was reported be users. I can't help but to wonder how it was possible for that bug, which was very obvious and easy to repro, was able to ship. Is it possible NI's QA team is short handed rn?

• Kymeia
    edited February 4
    Options

I guess because it didn’t happen for everyone (myself included). Some bugs can’t easily be missed because they are 100% reproducible but with those that only occur under a specific set of conditions it is entirely possible for them to evade a testing team and only get picked up on when released into the wider population with a much more heterogeneous range of systems.

Also I've seen bugs creep into a final release that were not present throughout the beta cycle - ask yourself how it is that Apple missed the MIDI doubling bug for example, I know for a fact that their beta cycle is very rigorous but bugs still get through. Product and beta testing is not infallible and can never account for all possible scenarios in the real world.

• Scott McFayen
    Options

I have another thought on your comment. This is subjective, but the way I read it, there's an implication it's my responsibility as an end user of the software to be tracking the currently active bugs. If I were a beta tester, I would certainly agree with that. I'm not though.

• Kymeia
    Options

I don’t know what makes you think that but it certainly wasn’t implied