Komplete Kontrol UI Issues In Logic Pro With Third-Party Plugins

Options
ivicam
ivicam Member Posts: 54 Member

Hi,

I am experiencing weird UI issues when loading third-party plugins inside Komplete Kontrol AU instrument in Logic. For example, with Korg Triton EX plugin, the rest of the Komplete Kontrol's UI becomes invisible. The UI is still there and it is clickable, it just can't be seen. And with various Arturia V Collection plugins, there are weird graphics glitches. Both issues are shown in the attached screenshots.

No issues while running Komplete Kontrol standalone or as a VST3 plugin in Ableton Live 11 and also no issues with NI plugins inside Logic.

I am using the latest Logic 10.8 on Apple Silicon. I cannot confirm if the issue was there in the previous versions of Logic as I've just started using Komplete Kontrol few days ago.

Best Answer

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 859 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is helpful. The issue has been reported to Apple, and the investigation continues over there. The signs point to it being something affecting KK, but not something KK itself can fix.

Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,744 mod
    Options

Hi I can replicate the issue with Korg Triton, will try with the others. Also I can see some glitches with some Arturia plugins but I found pressing the library button a couple of times to switch between plugin and browser view seemed to refresh them

I wonder if this is a result of the new graphics framework in KK3?

• Kymeia
    edited November 2023
    Options

Ok now the background is going in Arturia too - I'll create a bug report

• Kymeia
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks for reporting this, I am finding it with a lot of other plugins too. Not sure if this was introduced with KK3.02 or Logic 10.8 but this is so severe it would have been pretty apparent if it was happening earlier and lots of people would have been reporting it so it must be pretty recent. Luckily it does seem Logic specific from what I have managed to test so far.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,600 Expert
    edited November 2023
    Options

THis is likely related probably to an issue several of us reported AGES ago where plugins such as Korg, Cherry Audio (among many) do not display any GUI in Ableton Live on Windows, likely this is part of the same issue manifested on mac in a different way seeing it is the same plugins that cause an issue in Ableton.

The issue was present in 2.x when VST3 was introduced and no such problem using VST2 of the same plugins, also no such issue loading the plugins within Maschine inside Ableton or basically any other combination of things, only when a VST3 is loaded in KK in some DAWs

Can only suggest you report it as a bug and hopefully one day something will be done about it.

• Kymeia
    Options

I thought about that, it is possible, but tbh this appears to be also affecting a lot more plugins that were not affected in Live and the symptoms are different in that it is not the plugin GUI vanishing but the background and parts of KK itself, so I'm not sure. Whatever it is I have reported it. I do wonder if it is related to the shift to using QT in KK 3, which is a different graphics library than used in KK2.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,600 Expert
    Options

All I know is it is the same plugins and a similar kind of issue, could be something different completely but I know the older issue that affected Live is still present.

• Kymeia
    edited November 2023
    Options

It looked like it was the same (at least Korg sure, but also Arturia) but actually it is heck of a lot more - to the point where the majority of my plugins are affected so it's pretty major - but yeah it could be there is something that once fixed will fix the possibly related issue in Live on Windows too - that would be perfect

• ivicam
    Options
  • Kymeia
    Options

Ok thanks - same here - looks like that might be the common denominator

• ivicam
    Options

You think it's a Sonoma-only bug?

• Kymeia
    edited December 2023
    Options

Given there are not many others reporting this it’s a definate possibility - if it was more generally a MacOs or even Apple Silicon issue I would have expected tons of reports by now, given how significant a problem it is

Hopefully Sonoma compatibility for KK3 won’t be far off, this issue might even spur things on somewhat :)

• ivicam
    edited December 2023
    Options

To be honest, I really can't believe how fragile third-party AUs are on macOS. And I am not only talking about NI, but in general.

I develop native macOS apps and I really can't think of anything that changed so drastically between Ventura and Sonoma to cause dramatic issues like this. It is so obvious to me that all these things were not coded specifically for macOS, following Apple's best practices and using native technologies, but rather ported to macOS in some very weird and ancient ways that break in so unexpected ways.

• Kymeia
    edited December 2023
    Options

No me neither, except I find Sonoma makes much better use of the M series GPU cores than Ventura did. For example in Corel Painter I am seeing huge performance benefits, in Ventura it was barely using those 32 GPU cores in my M1 Max, now it is. So it’s possible some AUs are not taking advantage of those changes, hence the graphics issues

• ivicam
    Options

But again, Sonoma's first beta was released in June together with documentation. Now is December. So many small companies and indie developers work hard during the summer to prepare their apps for new macOS releases every year and manage to release high quality software regularly. In the same time, large corporations with tons of resources, that sell expensive professional software, can't even notice something like this in one of their most important plug-ins? I really don't get it.