Plugin window sometimes just black in Logic since 3.1 / Bug KBDSW-7816

Options
124»

Answers

• Scott McFayen
    Scott McFayen Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

It wouldn't be possible for me ask myself how it is that Apple missed the MIDI doubling bug for example. I don't have any ability to see into Apple's software development pipeline. There are likely a number of points in their pipeline that failure may have occurred. I have zero knowledge of any of them.

I agree with you that "product and beta testing is not infallible and can never account for all possible scenarios in the real world." However, as developers it's very important to view failures as opportunities for improvement. If something is not working, the thing to do is acknowledge it and then go about implementing new practices that fix the problems.

• Scott McFayen
    Options
  • Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 910 mod
    edited February 4
    Options

Doubled MIDI notes: an issue introduced by Apple, affecting multiple products, that was then fixed by Apple

UI appearing blank: an issue that appeared after a version of Sonoma was released, that we fixed as the reports came in.

UI appearing with colored noise: an issue that appeared after Sonoma was released, that we're in the process of fixing.

• Scott McFayen
    Options

I'm not quite sure how to interpret this. Do you mean to say that there was no failure inside NI's QA process because in all of these cases it was a surprise change made by Apple in Sonoma that broke KK3? If that's correct, then I'm sorry I wondered about NI's QA practices. It's some unfortunate luck KK3 was visited by recently. I've heard bad luck comes in threes. Perhaps there will be smooth sailing ahead. Fingers crossed.

Looking forward, is there any possibility NI could seek a closer relationship with Apple. It seems these troubles were caused be Apple making critical changes NI had no foreknowledge of. Might there be a way for NI to gain tighter integration with Apple's development pipeline? Or, is it the case that when you develop for Mac, you get what you're given when you're given it sort of thing?

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 910 mod
    Options

We have a very close relationship as it happens. I talk to my colleagues there regularly. Not every change is intentional, nor can it always be known ahead of time.

I was seeking only to clarify that the things you thought were within our control were outside of it. In the first case, so too was the fix. In the latter cases, we have to spend time reacting to changes introduced.

• Scott McFayen
    Options

Oh I think I get it. You're explaining that these bugs were the result of changes even Apple didn't realize they were making. Or, that they were unforeseen knock-ons from changes they made. Have I understood this correctly?