Status on m1/m2 update?

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

But still would be subscription for IPad and Mac cost the same? I doubt it.... Prices for iPad are settled way down comparing to Mac/PC....

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Roland Zenbeats works that way. You can buy them isolated (one time purchase for one year updates and then freezes) or as subscription. It supports also windows and android.

Different UIs but Apple gives developers tools for that and it’s up to them activate where and how you can deploy the app from same binary… it started with iPhone, grown into iPad and it’s coming (some already) to macs.

Once again @Kubrak I will advice you study (and try if you can) by yourself instead talkinh whitout true knowledge and dropping opinions as facts. You talk without any knowledge, experience or research into Apple ecosystem and try to convince others just with wishful thinking and theoritical benchmarks…

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,284 Guru

The subscription cost would be the same... it's all one creative environment that you'd have access to. You might use an iPad in the morning for some tasks... and a desktop later in the day for some other creative interaction. Or an VR headset for some other shaping of a project.

It's all about exploring/refining creative ideas by whatever method suites the time, place and task at hand.

• Kubrak

Yes, it would work for person that wants use it on Mac/PC and also iPad/android. But it would not for someone who wants only iPad/android.

• Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 147 Advisor

If a company develops apps or VST's that are supposed to work on Windows and MacOS they should make sure their stuff keeps working on those OS's over time. It shouldn't matter if a change in any OS is a big or small one.

It think it is fair to say that NI is taking a really really long time to tackle the AS situation. My main gripe on the matter is communication. After a whole bunch of threads on this topic in the past 2 years, pretty much the best we got is "we're working on it", or "our products will be AS supported soon/this year"

And yes, luckily Kontakt already got native AS support. Probably not thanks to NI users begging for it, but because major industry leading VST's rely on Kontakt (I guess). If NI dragged any longer it could quite well be that those companies would drop NI as their partner.

So please NI, communicate better, at least to end or temper these pointless flame wars on this forum. Even bad news is often better than no news at all.

Instead of emailing me new product releases or promo's literally every week, get this AS situation sorted and keep your users better informed on the state of affairs. This will not make you any money short term, but could help winning customers for the long term.

Your software and hardware was and is top notch, and quite a few of your newer releases are quite innovating, but before spending my money I prefer being guaranteed those products to be supported decently in the future, on my OS of choice (and not needing to wait for 2 years every time).

• nightjar

It would work fine for someone with only those devices.

There is a difference between budget driven consumer choice and device driven consumer choice.

They are not mutually exclusive.

• nightjar

And another device to access the creative ecosystem:

In a research note, Kuo reiterated that Apple plans to announce its long-rumored mixed-reality headset during an event in January 2023. The company's first AR/VR headset is expected to cost upwards of $2000, making it a niche product. As a result, Kuo says shipments of the device are unlikely to exceed 1.5 million units in 2023.

In May, Apple presented its AR/VR headset to Apple board members, indicating that the device is nearing its final stages before launch. Despite having worked on the headset for several years, recent problems during development related to overheating and performance have delayed the launch of the product.

The headset is expected to be powered by a chip with on-par performance to the M1 Pro in the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro. 

The headset will feature more than a dozen cameras for tracking hand movements, two ultra-high-resolution 8K displays and advanced eye-tracking technology. Renders shared by The Information last year offered us a look at the potential design of the headset. 

Apple is already reportedly working on the second-generation version of its AR/VR headset. According to Kuo, the new model of the headset will launch in the first half of 2025, alongside a cheaper and more affordable model.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

In fact, since it’s cloud based for project saving, it works in all of these mutually or exclusive without needing the others…

Once again, research before talk… you seem smarter than this, mate.

• Kubrak
    edited August 2022

I speak about price of subscription just for iPad/android. Users would hardly be happy to pay prices for Mac/PC... Prices for tablets are set roughly tenth of prices for PC/Mac. I am not sur if developers would be eager to subscribe multi K$ bundle for dollar, two a month.

• nightjar
    edited August 2022

Subscription service cost is not tiered by the device a user may choose to utilize within the service. There can be tiers for users of different budget levels, but the cost basis is level of content/services.

As an example, video streaming services charge the same whether you access their content with a desktop or a smart phone.

• KoaN
    KoaN Member Posts: 104 Advisor

In about 15 years i have been here i can count on my fingers the number of time the developper team chimed in to say something.So we are left in the dark on what's coming,it's been that way forever.

I agree this would help appease people a bit more,at least have an idea on the plan.It almost feels like they are handcuffed and cannot say a word or they don't read any of the posts in here,not sure.Moderators sometimes talk but they can't say much either.

It creates a wall between the community and the team for sure.

• nightjar
    edited August 2022

And it's perhaps the most pivotal period in NI's history... the acquisition into Soundwide has blurred the whole vision of where things may head. I had more confidence when it was just iZotope and NI. A recent exodus of iZotope brainy people has me thinking it's all gonna be just a race to the bottom with Plugin Alliance.

A leader needs to articulate a fairly detailed vision for Soundwide and all its elements pronto.

• alexander3um
    alexander3um Member Posts: 1 Member

That's the point, if no one did that, we'd blame Apple for releasing hardware so bad that developers don't want to work with it. But in reality nearly everyone has an Apple Silicon version now. Sure, I can't blame Vital for not having one because it's free. But everybody else seems to have it. NI seems to be my only problem now.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 798 Guru

Please go and re-read the thread!

For reasons already explained 'in reality nearly everyone' has a product that is much easier to port to Apple Silicon than Reaktor, so Reaktor will take longer to port. If you don't like that take it up with Apple, don't blame NI because they have unique and amazing products. Instead celebrate them, and hassle Apple for making NIs life difficult, and for creating a situation that slows down development in other areas that would benefit all users, not just Apple users!