Kontakt 8 speculations and questions thread

Comments

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 418 Pro

You are one of the lucky ones. Some of us have intolerable load times now with any NI hosting programmes. Kontakt 7 takes over 5 minutes now just to open while it scans and rescans my VST3 folder, and I am far from being the only one. In theory, 8 will cure this, but then why can Kontakt 7 also not disengage itself from the atrocious scanning cycles some of us have to suffer. This has been going on for months and months now, and it's hard to understand why no-one is able to proffer why that code is only apparently being executed for some of us. No problems with Kontakt 6.

• Omlecado
    Omlecado Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

The line between Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol seems to be thinning. There are a couple features that we see in the new Kontakt 8, like looping tools as well as the new left-hand sidebar that we see in KK. Maybe Kontakt is gonna replace Komplete Kontrol? The new features seem great, however, and I really love the Conflux and Leap tools. Leap kinda reminds me of Playbox with the chord software. It seems pretty cool. I also have the concern of how the update is gonna be from 7 to 8, but hopefully it’ll be smooth.

• Royal Tee
    Royal Tee Member Posts: 39 Member

Delete that dang rescan file 😆 This used to happen to me every update…

• Kepler
    Kepler Member Posts: 3 Member

So… I made my first post here regarding K8, but its not showing.

Do some posts have to be reviewed first?

• Kepler
    Kepler Member Posts: 3 Member

Questions for the people at NI.

How's the CPU efficiency compared to Kontakt 6? (on Windows)

I'm using Kontakt for orchestral libraries and have lots of tracks with Kontakt. So I always try to conserve as much processing power as I can.

But the Kontakt Player isn't enough since I do tweak a lot of libraries to my liking (unless they're locked). So I need the full version of Kontakt.

And regaring K8, new features and all are nice, but I don't want it to be at the expense of less CPU efficieny.

Example would be, loading up the exact same project using Kontakt 8 instead of Kontakt 6, but consuming more CPU usage because of Kontakt 8.

(basically K8 consuming more CPU power than K6 while doing the "exact same thing".)

Or else, I'll just stick with Kontakt 6. Or at least maybe you could add a feature which disables certain new features that are unnecessary for some users to reduce CPU usage.

(obviously if K8 is efficient as K6, this would be unnecessary)

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 61 Helper
    edited September 10

Love the idea of more plugins having a low performance (eco) mode.

There are composers who use older plugins from Waves and others to EQ, compress and saturate etc due to their templates being so big.

I could see similar need for sample players, have a performance mode (full software) and a eco mode for big templates.

Would be smart if the eco mode can be globally turned on/off and partially for certain tracks via a global interface and overall manage performance of a certain brand of plugins.

I have asked Softube for a similar thing, important for all the new fancy (likely more cpu heavy plugins) to have an eco mode.

Sound reasonable for Kontakt to explore an eco mode solution.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 318 Pro
    edited September 10

a Kontakt release should preferably be 4 years apart (or more

I agree with this. Especially when each new version (not minor dot release) is a paid version, and it just makes sense that the closer they are released, the less real improvements and features there are. ….and of course bug fixes should NOT be counted as a feature. Nor should stuff thats taken out just to be added again (some time down the track, aka milking the cow for all its worth)

Love the idea of more plugins having a low performance (eco) mode. …….Would be smart if the eco mode can be globally turned on/off and partially for certain tracks via a global interface and overall manage performance of a certain brand of plugins.

Thats a great idea.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,184 mod

Kontakt is both a builder and a player tool, meaning;

Kontakt enables users to use the internal components to build instrumental content that may inspire other users (who load that content to play it).

The internal components include many different tools for sound generation and manipulation. Kontakt 8 has further advanced the availability of wavetable synthesis in that list of tools, and offers even greater flexibility to builders in that regard.

I'm not sure there's any suggestion we're turning Kontakt into a synth. Rather, we're listening to the builder community, and investing in and expanding the toolset with which they can design instruments.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,184 mod

The only keyboards that connect directly to Kontakt (7 and 8) are the Kontrol S MK3 keyboards.

It was not possible to build the on-device API that does this into either Kontrol S MK1 or S MK2.

Both the Kontrol S MK1 and S MK2 work with Kontakt 8 in the same way they have always: load Kontakt within Komplete Kontrol.

For MK1, use KK 2.9.6.

For MK2, use KK 3.3.2 or higher.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,775 admin

Quick reminder that we welcome all contributions in this thread as long as they are constructive. Make sure to check our code of conduct again, especially this rule:

Avoid inflammatory language, sarcastic comments, or derogatory remarks, and strive for positive and respectful interactions. Make sure to maintain a professional tone and refrain from disruptive actions that may harm the community's atmosphere.

I've held off jumping into reports to avoid adding to the noise here. If you don’t agree with someone’s comment, use the vote feature. If you feel the need to address someone directly, please take it to DM.

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 243 Pro
    edited September 10

@Matthew_NI @Kaiwan_NI @Simon_NI @Kai_NI asking this from a Kontakt 8 perspective, as M+ also missed the Kontakt 7 boat. I can understand that the ‘player’ on the M+ cannot support every feature and/or newer version of the Kontakt desktop software, but how about an Maschine Plus compatible ‘export’ option?

• Royal Tee
    Royal Tee Member Posts: 39 Member

You're looking for the "ScanApp.exe" "scanpluginsapp_x64.exe"
    On Win it's in a hidden folder within C:\program files\common files\native instruments
    Do a search for scanapp.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I only know windows and this is most likely if you haven't updated in a while as It hasn't happened since the newer native access updates (for me).
    If you need more info this has been threaded a few times and is an older issue so it may not be what you are experiencing…
    ✌️🤓

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,844 Expert

No hijack here either.

Confirmed "scanpluginsapp_x64.exe" runs for about 3 seconds when I fire up Komplete Kontrol v2.9.6.

No sign of it whatsoever when I fire up Kontakt 7.10.6 here on Windows 10 22H2

Now back to Kontakt 8 etc…

VP