Installing NI to work on a PC (Win 11 up to date) with Studio One V6.5.1 (latest)

Options

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,276 mod
    Options

PS. I’m assuming that OP is a reference to me but what do these letters stand for?

OP = Original Poster

-- Mike

• mykejb
    Options

It's NOT useless at all, it's providing access to and locally caching OneDrive cloud storage. If you use OneDrive it's essential, not useless.

-- Mike

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,409 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

In this case, i agree with him. Disabling such services from real-time operation is a standard tip for optimized audio performance, since very long time.

The above is from Native Instruments, but same tip is recommended by Steinberg and other developers.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209571729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

• mykejb
    Options

@Sunborn Read the paragraph you quoted carefully.

"Syncing content, projects or samples with a cloud drive can cause performance issues".

At no point does it say "turn off cloud services", it says very specifically "Don't put your content/samples/projects" on a cloud drive. That's so cloud syncing doesn't affect your music production. You can have as much other data on a cloud service as you like because as long as you're not updating cloud-synced files you're not consuming resources.

-- Mike

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,090 Guru
    Options

@PTR

OP = Original Post (or poster in some cases :))

VP

• Vocalpoint
    Options

OneDrive is fine is you use it as intended - and put NOTHING to do with your recording process in it.

Unless you are going to completely uninstall it - make no reference to it and all will be well.

It has zero to do with any issues in this thread or any other.

VP

• Sunborn
    edited December 2023
    Options

It also says:

It is not recommended to configure real-time syncing

So, based on that, what is the point of having an active cloud store (by using it's app, which consumes resources, same as almost any background service)?

You can simply open a browser window and drag your material there. I do have One Drive, and Google Drive and MEGA cloud and Dropbox but, never install their apps. I use my browser instead. And, imo, a backup hard drive is a much better and lot faster solution.

Anyway, as i said, also Steinberg and other providers recommend this tip.

Full article here:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360008589880-Windows-How-to-set-up-and-optimize-a-Digital-Audio-Workstation

To close this parenthesis, before we go completely off-topic, here is a technical note about resources consumed by One Drive:

According to many user reports on Microsoft's Community website, OneDrive (standalone app) may cause a high CPU and Memory usage and it can consumes even up to 1.4-1.6GB RAM even when it's idle. Far more than Dropbox or Google Drive.

A good "compromising" solution is not to fully uninstall it, if you use it, but at least to remove it from the Windows Start Up, so it is not running all the time from the moment you open your computer. But at the end it is up to each user. If you have 64GB RAM, then obviously is not a major problem... Personally, i want my computer fast as a starship and with the less possible irrelevant services running in the background.

• mykejb
    Options

OneDrive background sync does nothing if there's nothing to sync. On my system it's sitting doing nothing and takes 48M of memory.

That screengrab also says :

"Uninstall unused applications and plugins" - why? They're just sitting on the disk doing nothing.

"Remove or disable WiFi, webcams, printers etc". Well, there goes using any plugins that need an internet connection, and also stops the Waves head tracking via webcam from working.

A lot of suggestions that get dragged up by Google are now out of date now that we have faster computers and SSD drives. For example, the according to The Internet I need to go through my processes and services and disable anything I'm not using. My "Background process" count is 167 with 113 Windows processes. Disabling random processes because I don't think I'm using them is a recipe for disaster!

-- Mike

• Sunborn
    edited December 2023
    Options

Those suggestions are considered from professionals a "must", for dedicated music studio computers.

If you have a mixed purpose computer (for web browsing, graphics, games etc), is another story.

-On my dedicated music studio computer, i have even completely disable over 40 Windows services, completely "hacked" and "nude" my Windows from any kind of irrelevant rubbish (about 2GB less than original), and so on... And i follow this logic since 2004, without having the slightest problem, ever.

Why should i pay for a 48GB RAM, when with my 16GB RAM (plus all the above), i can easily run 64 VST's simultaneously on Cubase, with my old Intel i7 CPU at just 40-45% max??? I don't need more, i can make great music with that, plus i value my money and i am used to fix almost anything by myself, so, if there is an alternate solution i rather keep those money for something else. :-)

-On my every-day computer, on the other hand, i use all of those things, and even more.

It doesn't need further analysis....

PS: Those suggestions are not from Google, but from the official Steinberg website (i posted a link too). If you disagree about "removing WiFi, webcams, printers etc" go there and ask them. There is no reason to continue this debate here Mike. :-)

Important note to readers!

"Disabling processes and services" is a task for Windows experts only! Do not try any changes if you do not know their purpose and the consequences in case of mistake!

• Vocalpoint
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Sunborn

"There is no reason to continue this debate here Mike"

You got this part right as OneDrive has no bearing on anything in a DAW context if it is not actually doing anything.

Like Mike - mine is sitting at 0% CPU with 16MB of memory allocated.

It is using less resource than about 60 other obscure processes that are in play right now after Windows has been up for an hour or two.

It is not worth discussing.

VP

• PTR
    PTR Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Guys - i’m sure this Onedrive debate is important to get to the bottom of but it doesn’t really have anything to do with problem I am experiencing . Can I suggest that one of you create a new thread and hammer it out there. At the moment, the actual issue is being obscured by this discussion. Thanks.

• Sunborn
    Options

I fully agree and sorry for that. :-)

But, on the other hand, and since nobody has a solution yet, by experience i can tell you that commenting keeps your post "on top", so other members might see it and provide a solution. Without comments, in just few days, a thread "fades" on the last pages, and there, no one ever checks. So, it will get lost and stayed unanswered, like few hundred other threads from 2022 and half 2023... never got answered. :-(

But it is your thread, so it is entirely up to you. I won't comment again unless i see a reaction from your side. 🙏

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Exactly

So where are we at - at last check I reviewed that video and offered some suggestions.

What is the state of the issues right now? Walk me through what Studio One is doing again...

VP

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,947 mod
    Options

Cloud services can sometimes cause issues IF one is actually using them for Music + some people rely on them and cant just about removing it.

If you guys keep quoting Milos for tech bedates this thread will be 10000 pages in 3 days.... pls stop, and stick to helping OP.

Is there a link to the video?

@PTR Have you fully manually uninstalled GR6, check your plugin locations to make sure there's no traces left, reboot, then install again?

• PTR
    PTR Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I emailed it to VP … The system won’t let me link a url. Message me with your email and I’ll send it to you if you want. 👍