Options
12346»

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,090 Guru
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Mystic38

"There are many ways in which a DAW/VST may not be 100% compatible, and DAWs interpret the VST3 standard in their own way and fill in the blanks with their assumptions, so quite frankly it is an arrogant stance to simply state that vendor X "needs to make it work"

This statement makes no sense - a standard IS a standard.

Presonus is not responsible for how a third-party vendor decides to bypass a standard. Studio One does not make interpretations or assumptions or fill in the blanks for some weird a** plugin to run right.

Not only is their stance NOT arrogant - but it is also directly on point. Studio One is a "host" and nothing more. Its hosting capabilities are built to the standards set by Steinberg for VST2 and VST3 operation.

But if you think PreSonus is going to suddenly spend any additional time trying to figure out why Vendor X or Vendor Y (or NI in this case) - is skirting the standards - you are dreaming. I do not blame them for one second.

Either code your plugins correctly - to the standard - or deal with the fallout.

Reaktor 6 above shows exactly how NI has skirted the rules with their VST3 version vs the VST2 version.

R6 VST2 works normally with all functions available while the VST3 is suddenly "lacking" an ability to select outputs. That is NOT on Presonus to fix.

VP

• Resonant Serpent
    Resonant Serpent Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Really?

I legitimately own just about every host on the market. I've tested both the Reaktor and Maschine VST3, and the only one I have a problem with when using Reaktor or Maschine VST3 is Studio One. Every single other host works correctly when using the same coded plugins. Maybe you missed it, but they've deleted hundreds of feature requests that point out bugs in S1 on the Presonus site. Bugs that have been around for years, but still haven't been fixed.

If Studio One is the outlier in every case, then the problem is on Studio One. They recently broke the ability to work with Helix Native, along with other plugins, and that was squarely on Studio One. It's even in the latest patch notes that it was fixed. "[Windows] GUI in certain 3rd-party plug-ins not entirely responsive".

One of the issues with Studio One is that it doesn't natively use MIDI. It uses a translation layer, and that may be what's causing the problems.

The fact also exists that documentation for VST3 is lacking in ways that VST2 isn't, and that's why so many devs waited so long to port over. Now Steinberg is depricating VST2, which will give us one less option when things don't work correctly. The standard isn't really a standard.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,090 Guru
    Options

@Resonant Serpent

"I've tested both the Reaktor and Maschine VST3, and the only one I have a problem with when using Reaktor or Maschine VST3 is Studio One. Every single other host works correctly when using the same coded plugins."

I could also take this another way and say - when Studio One starts up here - 104 instrument plugins are logged at startup. The only one of those that does not work correctly (with output assignments only) is R6 VST3.

In this light - it is very hard to "blame" S1 - when every other instrument I have here including all the payload in my Komplete 14 ULT package are just fine.

I guess we also need to agree on exactly what's wrong here as well. With Maschine 2 there were some odd UI issues (now fixed) and with Reaktor 6 - it's the outputs being greyed out.

Is that all we are discussing as being "not working"?

VP