[Poll] Should we open a Discord server?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 254 Newcomer
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,315 mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Please don't 'open a Discord server' .

In my experience then Discord is a place where companies use bots to send asynchronous anonymized threats to people over minor infractions the user were not aware of and which the company for some reason consider major infractions , and then since bot messages are something that one typically catch a lot later then situation has escalated from what one thought a rather innocent remark to a full ban in no time. I utterly hate Discord out of a good heart. Discord is an extremely deceptive mess of a service that so many companies already abuses in so many ways to deceive customers. Creating the image that everything is 'transparent' and as if Discord is a place with room for 'everyone' and as if everything should be taken at 'face value' while at the same time they either ignore people , impose customized rules and values and send anonymous threats (using self assigned 'bots'), are 'two faced' (which they can get away with cause everything is like a long chat and no-one can go through all of it and it's all instantly perishable, editable and monitored by bots that can be set to both delete certain type of comments and to silence/ban people).... The bigger the company the greater the abuse experienced ! The companies themselves can get away with expressing anything that would maybe somewhere else provoke a debate while at the same time have the ability to silence and remove all users and voices on the fly that may be expressing anything remotely looking as a disliked opinion. I have watched it happen so many times. Oh ! yeah! , also some companies impose limits to even how often you can post and impose all sorts of behavior modifications that in the situation makes absolutely no sense other than to limit how much the limited human staff left have to traverse through !

I can think of one positive experience channel only on Discord which is with a one-man company game developer that is very hands on and who uses the Discord mainly for feedback and mostly for managing 'Alpha'/'Beta' players... Otherwise I can not think of one other Discord channel that I consider as other than either 'Meh !' or as '******' (pardon my french !) !

Discord is 'chat like' and people tends to behave as if in a 'chat' situation where as a 'forum' like here is a lot different !

In my opinion then Discord use is something that appears as if is used because it both is (secretly ?) used to train AI agents more but also because in the long run it can be easily used to be run only by AI with very little to no human staff ! Thus alas it is probably something that which use we are going to see be expanded a lot until less 'chat like' AI interaction tools are going to be developed.. (don't get me wrong , I am sure that e.g. M.S. have been investing heavily in using 'automated'/'robotic' answering in 'support' to people as 'first line defense' for decades but there is still some time before that anyone can rent a full setup of out of the box AI support personnel to take care of most all of their 'support needs' )

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,464 Expert
    Options

Why do they deceive and ban people on discord and not on the forum?

We also have customized rules here. And NI can also post what they want.

Forum here also get "silence". For example I made a thread about the increase of spam, NI staff marked my thread so it does not get bumped to the front page on new posts.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,315 mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

I am not saying that fora and forum users can not have its problems and I freely admit that I am not aware of all the tools at the disposals of the moderators here. But there are still great differences between a forum like here and Discord.

To me it appears as if you didn't really get the part about Discord being 'chat like' or the part about the bots and the use of bots both as automated and as as go-between by some companies and moderators at Discord..

Also and this is extremely important in the situation , here you can say "NI staff" did this or "NI staff" did that. Here you know that it is N.I. that did this or did that and everyone here can easily see if your forum account suddenly vanished though maybe not why. Over at Discord however it can appear as totally blurred out. Both it can be hard to tell on behalf of who a bot is acting as well as it can be hard to get to the bottom of who's rules you are violating if you are because in the end it's all Discord !

Also in a forum people tend to follow 'threads' where people at Discord participates in what appears like chat like conversations. If someone deletes part of a chat in real time you will not notice unless witnessing it being done. Where fora typically are managed less aggressively than with the bots at Discord (Not saying either that there are not fora aggressively managed). Here I have seen real spam messages (unquestionable spam) remain in the forum for days after having received multiple flags as spam !

On top of everything else then it appears as if some companies are aiming at substituting even their email support with Discord support while also requesting sharing of information with Discord in ways and with consequences that can be rather difficult for user to see through / understand ! (yes ! as is already happening with other 'social media' , so you are right no difference there either)

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,305 Guru
    Options

Perhaps NI wants to nudge "negative" discussions to some other platform so fewer new customers learn about ongoing problems?

BUT.. if NI thinks that "complainers" just want to "complain" among themselves.. NI is mistaken.

"Complaining" in this forum where it CAN be seen by new customers is THE POINT. It increases the pressure upon NI to fix or improve these problems as quickly as possible.

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
    Options

Im ok with it I guess but a lot of thought should go into the channel layout and functions. I’ve been on some discord servers for products and it’s a pain in the ass trying to find older posts or specific information because it’s all buried under 1000 recent

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 223 Pro
    Options

I’m not in favour of another platform, why not adapt/extend/… this platform as the single point of interaction? But of course NI needs to be willing to interact with it’s users and improve communication (@Kaiwan_NI and co., this is not a remark towards you (you’re doing the best you can) but towards your off grid managers. Sometimes I wonder how you guys keep up with all the complaints and negativity).

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 223 Pro
    Options

Spot on @nightjar ! Time to face reality, fix the mess, stop forcing the forum admins to be messengers of commitmentless feedback or try offloading the negativity to a different platform. Buckle up and make NI great ag... no, I don't want to go that way 😁

• Rico010
    Rico010 Member Posts: 103 Advisor
    Options

Agree

… adding sone characters just to post this “Agree” message :)

• cblack412
    cblack412 Member Posts: 15 Newcomer
    Options

A definite yes from me. I love Discord. I have met so many amazing people on there and found out tons of information.

• Jose k Raju
    Jose k Raju Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Discord user page is cluttered, always confusing to me.

• Andro
    Andro Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

NO! Please. @PoorFellow has expressed it well. No.

• Mike Palma
    Mike Palma Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

It is an interesting platform.

However given the growing rate of hate crimes world wide, coupled with racism reaching new highs.

It begs the question , who will moderate (police it) ?

People seem to be grumpy and a lot less tolerent after covid.

Would be a great idea if monitored properly.

• Magiskeld
    Magiskeld Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
    Options

I found Discord to be a clunky platform to learn at first. But we all switched to it for our gaming. Now I find it invaluable. Takes a little patience to learn at first. But when you do, it's a really fast way to communicate, send/share files, call in the 'troops' for a raid or whatever! I think it would be fantastic to have an NI disco now :) Sometimes the creative peeps just need a place to hang and chat with the like-minded :)

This discussion has been closed.