[Poll] Should we open a Discord server?

Options

Comments

• SteveKDJ
    SteveKDJ Member Posts: 133 Helper
    Options

Is this the most important thing today? Thank you, I'm happy to say I won't be there.. you're welcome

The rationale, already described before me, + is indeed chaos.

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 32 Helper
    Options

NI tech debt is still big so if it means better backlog and roadmap communication with customers, sure.

• CBBuck
    CBBuck Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I was on one a good while ago and it never took to it. There has to be another platform which is more user friendly?

Facebook has the new group chat function which is fairly idiot proof…

• Ves
    Ves Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

A Discord server that is properly set up can be very handy.

People might complain some server aren't active, but that was also the case with forum. Where only a handful were creating, more we participating and many were lurking and reading.

For NI it will be important to understand how things work. And how it can be connected to current support channels.

• Eight4aWish
    Eight4aWish Member Posts: 54 Helper
    Options

Discord is dreadful. Could you fix the strobing effect caused by the new logo which means you can’t use the discussion forums in portrait layout on an iPad?

• Pete Kowalsky
    Pete Kowalsky Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Is your Discord gonna be moderated? Some channels need to be, in order to reduce / prevent complete anarchy.

Sounds sort of like you want to "be like the cool kids" but don't really know why. If you don't have a clear direction, then you should probably skip it and do what works for the company and the customers.

If you do fire up a server, you could have an Announcements channel, and more channels as mentioned in the very first reply on this thread. That could be useful for quick interactions, but the forum posts should be kept up and kept alive. Persistent information here (and on Discord) is invaluable for those of us who see these resources as places to come for information for solving problems or getting some ideas. I don't personally see any corporate-sponsored forums or chat platforms as anything other than that. I have no need for "community" per se, where I don't already have another platform to go to. Youtube, Forums, Reddit - all those are pretty much my go-to depending on needs.

Do you really want another service to administer / police? How will you handle those hostile to NI or who go there to complain? There will always be a subreddit they can go to I suppose but like I said - what's the point of your own server?

I'm gonna say "nah".

Unless your intent is to provide FAST customer support from NI folks, and possibly from reputable users that you can somehow vet ("product ambassadors" or something) as having knowledge and experience. If THIS is the case, then it's an absolute "YES" from me - definitely a good idea.

Things to think about.

• rrahim
    rrahim Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Weekly Live Learning sessions, with community members as teachers

• APi_ZZ
    APi_ZZ Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

As some already stated: Discord seems to come along a bit 'messy' in times. 

I 'just' engage in three Discord servers: One going for AI picture creation, and two for music creation. The latter two are strongly related to the discontinued Metapop world, that NI once hosted. The vibes are friendly and cooperative, and many relations from Metapop times are pursued. They seem to 'work'. 

But then: What should be the purpose of a new NI Discord server? 

For (mainly) technical questions this forum (any type of forum) might be sufficient. If competent moderation can be provided: Probably better to avoid useless "opinion wars". So I voted 'yes' -- but eventually just to discover that I don't really 'need' it ... 

• Quadclops
    Quadclops Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

I suggest a forum for sharing works, and even works in progress. But there should be sub categories for each genre, i.e. a house thread, a lofi-hip hop thread, a dubstep thread, one for boom-bap, one for trap. This would ensure feedback and discussions are focused by interest. Also I’d suggest a thread for suggesting new expansion ideas.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    edited August 2023
    Options

I see many people asking for “roadmap”, “space for suggestions”, “competent moderation”, “FAST customer support from NI folks”,…

If they are not interested in these things here, what makes you believe in Discord the situation will be different?

They don’t have enough resources to properly manage things in one place. Having to take care of 2 won’t improve the situation

• Skipper McGoogen
    Skipper McGoogen Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

You guys in Berlin should open a NI salad bar/jam salon or hell just a Native Instruments hashish and alcohol smorgasboard/jam salon complete with private booths for terrible musicians like myself so that no one but your jam squad have to listen and large open show off areas for people who are totally hot. And you'd go there on your holiday to Europe and think "Dood, Mouse on Mars might be there or maybe even Nina Hagen! Dood!" And then the day when Reaktor hardware modular hit the markets and was too expensive, NI Salad bar and Hashish and Alcohol Smorgasboard would let you rent them. But if you spill beer on the goods? You pay! And it was all so successful, they opened the NI Guesthouse and Dormitories where you could continue your collaborations with NI backpackers, tourists and the cranky locals. Well I think it would be better than more of this internet stuff. Back to my virtual synths and samplers I suppose...

• Brandon Mozzetti
    Brandon Mozzetti Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I think the idea if saying "no" is silly. If you don't want it, don't use it. Personally I think it's a great idea and would like to be able to connect with other artists at a pace more like a chat than a forum.

I bet it would benefit most people here. Let's do this!

• berrybeatz
    berrybeatz Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I just love Kontakt.

• Jonathan Blake
    Jonathan Blake Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Yes - NI are becoming involved, I want to be involved too

• El-Rallef
    El-Rallef Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    Options

I just voted "No" because

a. yet another communication channel with NI would mean that investigations for valueable information need to include one more source

b. NI should invest their resources in developing software rather than maintaining social media hangouts.

This discussion has been closed.