[Livestream] Get together with KONTAKT team

Options

Comments

• dafingaz
    dafingaz Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Need any Komplete Beta testers? :) Where do I sign up?

• gnapier
    gnapier Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro
    Options

Thanks for the great session!

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,583 admin
    Options

Thanks everyone for joining!! 25 people joined us live this time - probably the most we've seen so far. ❤️‍🔥

If you've left some questions here but haven't joined the livestream, don't worry. I'll post replies from EvilDragon and Yaron to all your questions next week.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,286 Expert
    Options

Thousands and thousands of Kontakt users and…25 people…and you also say it’s “the most we’ve seen so far”…

Maybe there is a better way to do these “get together” (starting from the fact that it’s not possible to see it afterwards).

If you are really interested in “getting together” maybe a rethinking of this formula is necessary

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

The reason we are not recording the event is because people join in and go away and to comply with GDPR you always need to ask for consent of all involved parties before recording starts, and that would be really annoying to break the flow of the conversation every time somebody joins to ask and so on.

I don't think it would make sense to have literal thousands of people in this sort of event. Then almost nobody would be able to ask their question let alone have them answered. This formula works perfectly fine and it was proven just today: collect questions in the forum before the stream starts, then go through them in order during the stream, collect answers and reply in thread post fact. I see no problems here.

Those who really wanted to get together would find a way to tune in to the live stream too, instead of spreading negative vibes on the forum just because they can. :P

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,286 Expert
    edited May 2023
    Options

Understood.

Maybe I can reformulate the thing, saying that another formula about an interaction with users allowing more people to benefit of it could be thought.

About your last sentence, I will just answer that mine was just a critic to see if things could improve. If for you a critic is just “spreading negative vibes” and this is the way you answer, maybe the title “moderator” doesn’t fit you so well.

But since I read you from many years and I know how useful you are for NI community, I’ll take your comment just as a critic to me and I’ll try to learn from it. Thank you for trying to make me improve

Just one last thing: I did want to get together, but since at 5 pm of a working day I was working, I couldn’t find a way to tune in

• BroHah@
    BroHah@ Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Evil Dragon, thanks so much for all you add on so many forums that I visit. Your replies are consistently insightful, knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

I can understand how GDPR compliance would stand in the way of recording a session, based upon users coming and going. Might there be a way to require attendees provide a GDPR compliant 'OK' immediately prior to signing on, regardless of when they tune in?

Really wish I could have attended today's session, but I had a scheduling conflict. In addition to responding to people's questions, it would be great if someone could post a summary of what was discussed.

Thanks much! Such a great idea... getting user input in this way. I look forward to attending the next session you offer.

• David Das
    David Das Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Same, I had to multitask and could only listen partially to the conversation, and unfortunately when discussing my specific question, I only heard about half the response, since my session was starting and the client was in the room.

@EvilDragon and @Kaiwan_NI I'm happy to consult/help/dialogue anytime it's needed. I hope you understand the spirit behind my harping on the database/loading issues. It's not that I'm sore you took a beloved feature away, it's not that I need things done MY way...it's that I represent the way a lot of film scorers and veteran Kontakt users (and users of large libraries) use Kontakt. From [what I heard of] today's conversation, it sounds like it's something you're aware of, but it's a distant priority, which worries me a bit. I understand the complex issues behind the new browser and the direction Kontakt is heading, but I can't help feeling like there must be some simpler answers that don't overcomplicate the issue. I'm happy to help brainstorm if you want it. Feel free to reach out.

@EvilDragon I know you and I talked about this some months ago, and you made a suggestion of reorganizing my library into Player and non-Player folders to make it friendlier for Kontakt's new browser. I never actually did this (I'm loathe to do it, since it would break sample paths for hundreds of existing projects, and also it would mess up my existing structures (which are currently by manufacturer and library and now that would have to split). Given the assumption that NI may not have a solution anytime soon, I'll have to go back and find our discussion so I can remember the specific advice and then see if it's something I would actually implement.

I'll reiterate that I've been staying back in K6 because of this very issue. I don't have anything against the new browser, but I can't sugar-coat that you created a significant new problem by removing a feature then replacing it with a different feature that is partially superior, but in major other ways inferior. No one likes it when their favorite software takes steps backwards! :)

• cpr_evo6
    cpr_evo6 Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Are you able to share just the audio of the session? No names, so no personal data, so the GDPR is not relevant?

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

We cannot share just the audio since nothing was actually recorded.

@BroHah@ Answers to questions raised in this thread will be posted this week, @Kaiwan_NI was taking notes for all of them and will answer each in turn.

@David Das Feel free to direct message me on Discord and we could have a call even so I can guide you through the idea.

• David Das
    David Das Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

@EvilDragon sure, would enjoy the conversation. What's the Discord server or where do I find you? (I'm on Discord as david@daviddas.com but don't use it often and don't know it super well.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Options

Here's an answer from Yaron and EvilDragon during a livestream:

We’ve got another team called Content Experience that takes care of this. We’re aware that Kontakt 7’s browser still needs some work and while reordering is not possible atm, work is being done in this area. 

• Kaiwan_NI
    edited May 2023
    Options

@LostInFoundation says

This is interesting to explore from a business pov. As we want users to have a coherent browsing experience, we’d like that when you browse piano you get both Noire and The Gentleman piano, if you own them both. Or maybe if you don’t own The Gentleman piano, the browser lets you know that it exists and you can buy it. There are two ways we can go here. While we can’t share much, this is definitely an interesting idea.   

Kontakt team: "This is interesting to explore from a business pov. As we want users to have a coherent browsing experience, we’d like that when you browse piano you get both Noire and The Gentleman piano, if you own them both. Or maybe if you don’t own The Gentleman piano, the browser lets you know that it exists and you can buy it. There are two ways we can go here. While we can’t share much, this is definitely an interesting idea."    

@LostInFoundation says

Any interest on giving to Kontakt more play styles? (I’m thinking granular, reversible live playing (maybe using mod wheel), live playback speed variations, live movable looping points, MPE,…)

Kontakt team: "Some of this we already have, although they’re a bit antiquated. Tone and Time Machine are actually granular based, and we’re actively investigating more playback options within Kontakt. We actually took a deep dive look into all these synthesis engines Falcon, Halion and other companies with interesting products have, comparing what they both have and what they’re missing. What they both have is a "source" - "synth" and an organ module. Halion also has a content product from organ that makes use of this organ source module, but that’s basically the only product you can build from it. Of course you can blend some stuff but they make a source module for the purpose of making it a content product. Same as Falcon. So both companies see it as a business case, which is interesting.

On the other hand, there’s super interesting stuff in there. There’s a lot of potential also in DSP that Native Instruments, iZotope and Brainworx have internally - theoretically nothing stops us from putting these things in Kontakt.

Let’s look at Reaktor for example. Monark has a unique filter, which is not a stock Reaktor filter. We’re aware that there’s DSP lying around somewhere in NI and we’re aware that competitors have such things. All we can say is hang in there, we’re researching."

• Kaiwan_NI
    Options

@TORLEY says

What is the timetable for MPE support 🐙🎹 in Kontakt looking like? It could add so much expression to the existing wealth of orchestral and other deep-sampled instruments, and many more to come.

Kontakt team: "It’s already possible but it’s delegated to Kontakt scripting and there are some instruments that take advantage of this like Ashlight. There’s not going to be a generic way to make any instruments magically support MPE considering how very different each instrument can be internally and how they all manage their events on the KSP side. So we don’t think having a global MPE mode to enable it on any instruments is an applicable feature." 

@TORLEY says

Could Kontakt please add a 🎲🔀 dice shuffle button to choose a random preset from the current search results? Including any snapshots. This would make it so much better to discover surprises in one's vast library, instead of just going by alphabetical categories. Some NI individual instruments like Lores already have "Randomize preset" in their internal snapshot browsers, so wouldn't it fantastic to expand this to a global level?

Kontakt team: "This is a topic for the Content Experience team. Randomizing within search results is a valuable feature and we think they’re aware of it."

This discussion has been closed.