TRAKTOR PRO Ideas breakdown 2023

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Sacco Naz
    Sacco Naz Member Posts: 130 Advisor
    Options

but it's still gonna happen faster than it would take for traktor to get deck sends in internal mixing mode...! LOL

Damn you're a genius.... Yeah I had an Allen Heath Mixer at one time but it doesn't travel well...

I guess I could use the Mixer Effects but fr some reason they don't have the same breadth as the effects units... or is that just my imagination....?

• arkaei
    arkaei Member Posts: 24 Helper
    edited February 25
    Options

I'm not a "genius", dude. I know like 3 things and put them together.

mixer effects are kind of rigid macro-controlled effects on top of a bi-filter, so that's where you might be getting the reduced "breadth" from. they're not bad. I think as far as effects inside DJ software are concerned, Traktor was always a notch above the competiton.

what's really fun to play with is the signal chain. if you set an fx unit to "insert", it will be pre-fader. the mixer effects are post-fader. so you could have a beatmasher on an insert on the first fx unit, then a reverb or dual delay as a mixer effect effecting that, and then other post-fader fx units getting that signal to mangle further. your gateway to serious complexity, especially if you go for external mixing.

but even with internal mixing, you can do some interesting stuff. you just have to try. push buttons, see what happens. if you're unsure about what something does and whether it will be useful, this is the only way form your own opinion. that's how I got from knowing 0 things to knowing 3 things.

• Sacco Naz
    Options

Hey do you use the Patter Player? I'm using the F1 Pattern Player mapping which is nice because it's like having a miniature sequencer...

I use 2 pattern players and I was wondering if there is a way to switch between Pattern Player "1" and "2' not he fly during a set...?

• arkaei
    edited February 26
    Options

yooo! it's so funny that you would ask me that! 😅😁 as I was writing the previous post, I had a whole paragraph ready about them, but then thought that posting it in here would come across as arrogant. also, my original rant about them from 2 years ago was what got me banned from this corner of the internet.

which, by the way, somebody should tell the admins... is kind of pointless. making one new account is about as much work as sending a whole botnet in here 🤣 luckily I have much more interesting things to do, like building shaders in touchdesigner.

anyway - now that you have asked, here's a shortcut to my thoughts on the pattern player. scroll down to the south park picture :)

I don't use them because I think they're a completely nonsensical addition. traktor has ableton link. maschine has ableton link. bitwig has ableton link. ableton live has ableton link (duh). freaking resolume arena has ableton link. which means, I can push one button and have a whole live set with live visuals synchronized to my DJ set. which is actually how I perform.

so the pattern playern, to me, is kind of like banging two rocks together when you could be flying a space ship. I don't know much about it, except that they took the development resources that should've been put into... literally everything else. all so you would buy a subscription. which I would happily do, if the money wouldn't get burned on more great ideas like the pattern player.

however I don't want to be entirely unhelpful. here's an idea. you have a D2 and an F1. remix decks have a step sequencer. in itself another reason to look at the pattern player and ask "why?". take that, throw a beatmasher into the mix (that's a bad pun, I'm sorry) and... isn't that actually a superior workaround? do that and you'll get more FX units to play with, too. and you can go between remix decks easily, because... they're decks, not effects.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,758 mod
    Options

Your rant (behind the link) is much to my liking. Thanks for pointing to it.

• arkaei
    Options

thank you. I shamelessly recommend the entire 3-part article, as well as the other posts on rogueDJs. we're the former DJWORX editorial team, united under a new banner since the DJWORX brand is under new management. so expect quality content after we're done with the initial design tweaks. we're working on some stuff I don't want to jinx before it's confirmed.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,758 mod
    Options

Of course i started with part 1 ... and then read all the rest of the articles. The writing is very refreshing. Found much that i have experienced myself, including getting hooked on xone96 and D2's. 🦋

• Sacco Naz
    Options

I've used Ableton Link but there is no easy way to record sets other than with an external recording devise.... plus if you're using Kontact it is not always seamless...

• arkaei
    edited February 27
    Options

yes there is. external mixing (especially with the super-tedious manual channel routing method I described) would even let you realitively easily multitrack it and fix mistakes after recording, if that's what you want. it's a thing you set up once and benefit from forever, but it's also a decent bit of work - and I can't tell you if it will work with the Clarett, because I don't have one.

but even without all that, you should be able to just loop back your physical master out using the Clarett's internal mixer and record using even a light DAW like reaper. it's also how you get around this bullsh1t where streaming content from beatport disables internal set recording.

now, what do you mean "if you're using Kontakt it's not always seamless"? metronomes not lining up? I don't know if Kontakt standalone has a method to do it, but if you use it as a plugin in a DAW like Bitwig or Live, you can just adjust the track offset on the master and all plugins will follow. likely negative values because Link goes over LAN, so when used on the same machine (localhost) and not across a network, it's gonna be faster than your audio buffer.

how that's gonna play out when you start recording loops live through loopback channels, I can't tell you without trying on the specific machine. you'd need a very low audio buffer for the latency to be tolerable, and then you might need to play with individual track offset depending on whether you're using live audio input or just playing back sample patterns. pre-recorded MIDI sequences and Link sync can travel back in time lag-free, live audio goes through a buffer and needs to be anticipated. but you can tell a DAW to start processing incoming audio a little ahead of global sync as well.

now imagine the fun I've had getting my 3-computer streaming setup to look perfectly in sync with audio and visuals across traktor, bitwig, live and resolume... but hey, we all needed things to do during the pandemic 🤣

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,376 Expert
    Options

He said "easy way" :P

I use a cable from booth out to line in on my s4.

• marinelli
    marinelli Member Posts: 31 Helper
    Options

Loopback Cable has been the most stable and easy way since ever.

• arkaei
    Options

this is easy. some people might think it's not, but only because they haven't tried it themselves.