Petition for Linux

2»

Comments

• Juliettealison
    Juliettealison Member Posts: 2 Noise

No idea why it hangs. Starting with 'wine setup.exe' or something should give some info in the console and the WINE version should be not ancient. If you are installing from a mounted ISO, unpack it and copy to an accessible folder by wine inside drive_c. That worked for installing some Kontakt libs which refused to run the installer from inside the image.

• Laurence Taylor
    Laurence Taylor Member Posts: 6 Sine

I should say to @Monochrome that all-bar-none of Native Instruments audio engines and user interfaces work in Linux with the compatability program WINE. There's perhaps one core component broken (Komplete Kontrol), and one optional (the Native Access ISO driver).

I'm not talking about 'developing software for Linux' in the way you suggest; the vast majority of things are already running happily thanks to the OS crowd.

• leumas
    leumas Member Posts: 1 Noise

Hi,

please, how did you manage to install native access? It is downloaded as .exe file and i have no idea how to install it. Any attempt fails, tried to downgrade wine and mount it, but it is always failure..

• Laurence Taylor
    Laurence Taylor Member Posts: 6 Sine

You have to be more specific. What do you do, and what errors do you get?

• PooFox
    PooFox Member Posts: 7 Sine
    edited August 27

It's very easy but you can only use the old version of NA and mostly only for downloading files. Some things will install, but for most you have to use the instructions here: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge

Very painful process to do individual installs with one of the Komplete collections, but hopefully only has to be done once.

Make sure you're using wine-staging and not plain wine. One other thing you can try is to make a fully working install on Windows and then carefully copy all the Native Instruments folders on your C: drive into the same exact folder structure within in your .wine folder (although your username folder may be different). I think you still need to run NA once to initialize the licenses, but this has worked for me before.

Btw NI, you really screwed us over on this new version of NA. Looks much nicer; works much worser. Even on Winblows. How about fixing some of the broken things instead of breaking things that work?

• GoaSkin
    GoaSkin Member Posts: 4 Sine

macOS has a market share around 3.5%. That is also not very huge but most software companies support macOS.

Therefore, a company like NI should say to the mac OS users: "please install Windows"!

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee AustraliaMember Posts: 679 Saw

Would make a lot of lives easier if they did :)

• fsciarra62@gmail.com
    [email protected] ItalyMember Posts: 1 Noise

Hi,

those general numbers aren't so significant...

Most of them, let's say the absobloodylootely majority of that huge market don't buy Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector Edition, isn't it? I did, and I'm a Linux user. And I only use Linux to make music and to work.

Now, I've just upgraded to Komplete 14 Standard and, up to now, I will not get any further because the problems I already had with Massive X and Battery 4 latest updates to 13, that is the preset aren't correctly installed because the .db file isn't updated, is now also on Kontakt 7 or maybe it's a similar one: in any case I do not find any of my library, and I have True Strike I & II and many many Chris Hein libraries.

Not talking about Native Access 2 which doesn't work at all, or iZotope which doesn't even install on Komplete 14. On Linux, clearly.

Now, given that I spend more and more and more money on Native Instruments stuff than, let's say, all the kids of elementary school or the nuns of the close church or... should I continue or it's clear that those big numbers are not all buyers? While in my little community many of us are Native customers? Where customers means that we buy, pay money, do updates, buy expansions, etc. Don't we count more that all the people on that counter, which don't spend a penny in Native Instruments software at all, now and never?

I think we Linux users, and paying customers, should be given more attention.

Best regards,

Fabrizio