Maschine+ strange encoder behavior (hardware issue)

kinskop
kinskop Member Posts: 18 Helper
edited January 2022 in Maschine

Hey there. I'm pretty sure I have a hardware bug on my beloved Maschine+ but I thought I throw that in here first before sending it in.

Problem: One of the Encoders is behaving strange. When I move it in either direcion it starts to adjust the parameter up and down in a circular pattern. Means, when I move the encoder upwards it may start to bring the parameter up for a bit but then changes its direction downwards and then back upwards after a bit. I was a bit jittery for some time but now it's pretty constant.

The problem occurs on all instances: Standalone, in Maschine Software (PC) and even reflected in the NI Controller Editor.

I usually have a Maschine Jam, an Iconnectivity Midi Router and Tascam Model 12 connected. A Restart with everything disconnected doesn't solve the issue.

I just tried a hardware reset: still the same issue.

Are there any other ideas to solve the problem? Or is it likely to be a faulty encoder?

Love and virtual hugs go to every helping engagement :)

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,305 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Hey Kinskop, welcome to the new forum, I really wish I had better news for your first post but that definitely looks like a hardware issue. I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with our Hardware department, they will guide you on how to proceed: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• KIRI
    KIRI Member Posts: 34 Member
    Answer ✓

I had same issue on M+ (I understand it's quite common, though the Mk3 I had previously never suffered!), and NI fixed it under warranty - got the M+ back recently and all seems to be working fine now. big thanks to NI for hassle-free support on this.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin
    Answer ✓

@kinskop Our repair centre is not in Berlin but shipping in Germany isn't taking that much longer.

• kinskop
    Answer ✓

Just to close this topic: NI Warranty Service worked great. Got it send in without any stupid questions and got a brand new unit back within just a little bit over a week. And with all my precious data saved on SD, setting it up from scratch wasn't such a big deal.

Well made NI 😁

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,305 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Hey Kinskop, welcome to the new forum, I really wish I had better news for your first post but that definitely looks like a hardware issue. I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with our Hardware department, they will guide you on how to proceed: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• KIRI
    KIRI Member Posts: 34 Member
    Answer ✓

I had same issue on M+ (I understand it's quite common, though the Mk3 I had previously never suffered!), and NI fixed it under warranty - got the M+ back recently and all seems to be working fine now. big thanks to NI for hassle-free support on this.

• kinskop

Oh my....but okay...I already thought so. Thank you so much for answering. I had a similar issue on my MK2 back in the days but that took way longer until it occured. It's okay as it's still under warranty. It's just a hassle because it's the centerpiece of my hardware setup.

Anyone knows if they're handling their hardware support here in Berlin? That would at least bring the delivery times down.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin
    Answer ✓

@kinskop Our repair centre is not in Berlin but shipping in Germany isn't taking that much longer.

• kinskop
    Answer ✓

Just to close this topic: NI Warranty Service worked great. Got it send in without any stupid questions and got a brand new unit back within just a little bit over a week. And with all my precious data saved on SD, setting it up from scratch wasn't such a big deal.

Well made NI 😁

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 129 Helper

I bought Maschine Plus today and this happened. I will be careful and try to use them as little as possible and with slow rotation so that they last longer. Plus I need it to perform live and I have to accept the fact that it's like that, otherwise I'm delighted with Maschine and I like using it a lot and I also have an MK3 that also had the same problem and that's the only thing I'm sorry for and everything else is great and I'm satisfied with the Music I produce and Listeners are too and lately I got emails from them tanking me for the Music but as much as I have good reception on streaming services it's not big income and I have to save money for almost a year to buy Plus while I was paying bills on time so it's getting better and I am trying to do better and after several calls for Live i was convinced that M Plus solved hardware quality.

I have to point out that I use all the functions because I thought it was designed so that I could freely design the sound and some users don't use them and they are more focused on just Pads and other DAW'S while I focused on NI only and honestly with the Maschine MK3 I succeeded with my Music which is Authentic because of NI Maschine MK3 in the first place. It is what it is and I will be careful And I will try my best to use them slowly and gently, TLC (Tender Love and Care)

• John Curry
    John Curry Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
    Cheap pots, and pcb boards that fail. Please don’t except that!.. Return or send it back. Lot of money to be spending to just live with it. Unacceptable!
  • kinskop

It's not uncommon that the Encoders have some 0.1 like Jitter. You just need to have an eye on if it's constant behavior and if it's getting worse. But I wouldn't stay in constant fear. I'm pretty sure the Encoders don't break by over tweaking them but more by internal failure. The Maschine encoders have always be a weak point but at least the ones on the Maschine+ are very well constructed. No wiggle what so ever. I would actually encourage you to give that Maschine a propper use, because if that Encoder turns out to be a faulty one you can easily get your unit replaced as long as you have warranty for it.

And like I said before...replacement Service has been really good.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 129 Helper

First I want to say that I appreciate all advice and common sense, really i do.

As you said on M+ encoders are better but it is what I was convinced too but then so many others share same or similar experience, some are describing different kind of problem and when I watch YouTubers and how they using Encoders it's always slow almost berly touching them... Replacement is pain because I am not in EU but I am in Europe and it would costs but what about Store official distributior where a bought M+ , they are different because they think that it's not there's job to replace and when I was waiting for MK3 to be replaced for over a month but it happened thanks to NI support, one worker told me how he thinks that they are receiving faulty unit but it was weird and I don't believe. However I can confirm that quality of encoders is not like it's seems I asked a lot of YouTubers and different Artists but they are saying that over time they will get Loose and all I can do is to follow what is happening as you mentioned and to use them gently with less power and it is what is written in Manual so I will careful and I will follow what is happening other than what I recorded everything else is surprisingly good, Amazing actually and I hope that it's not going to be problem again like it was in the past.

I will make setup made of released Music and something to improvise.

I can't bother support if it's actually happened on a small decimal scale I need more time to be sure and honestly I am tired and if I come to conclusion that I don't like it will be who knows how long until I get replacement ( and I payed for bran new unit ) . About constant fear, I promised to myself that I won't be nervous because I don't want that feeling and today I think that it's important to share experiences because for someone it can Fe stressful as it was to me with my first MK3 . Honestly I expected something new somekind solution that can do better than my Plastic Nektars P1 and T4 they didn't give up on me after extensive use. I will follow as you said .