Maschine+ strange encoder behavior (hardware issue)

Options
kinskop
kinskop Member Posts: 18 Helper
edited January 2022 in Maschine

Hey there. I'm pretty sure I have a hardware bug on my beloved Maschine+ but I thought I throw that in here first before sending it in.

Problem: One of the Encoders is behaving strange. When I move it in either direcion it starts to adjust the parameter up and down in a circular pattern. Means, when I move the encoder upwards it may start to bring the parameter up for a bit but then changes its direction downwards and then back upwards after a bit. I was a bit jittery for some time but now it's pretty constant.

The problem occurs on all instances: Standalone, in Maschine Software (PC) and even reflected in the NI Controller Editor.

I usually have a Maschine Jam, an Iconnectivity Midi Router and Tascam Model 12 connected. A Restart with everything disconnected doesn't solve the issue.

I just tried a hardware reset: still the same issue.

Are there any other ideas to solve the problem? Or is it likely to be a faulty encoder?

Love and virtual hugs go to every helping engagement :)

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,713 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Kinskop, welcome to the new forum, I really wish I had better news for your first post but that definitely looks like a hardware issue. I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with our Hardware department, they will guide you on how to proceed: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• KIRI
    KIRI Member Posts: 34 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

I had same issue on M+ (I understand it's quite common, though the Mk3 I had previously never suffered!), and NI fixed it under warranty - got the M+ back recently and all seems to be working fine now. big thanks to NI for hassle-free support on this.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,114 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@kinskop Our repair centre is not in Berlin but shipping in Germany isn't taking that much longer.

• kinskop
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just to close this topic: NI Warranty Service worked great. Got it send in without any stupid questions and got a brand new unit back within just a little bit over a week. And with all my precious data saved on SD, setting it up from scratch wasn't such a big deal.

Well made NI 😁

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,713 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Kinskop, welcome to the new forum, I really wish I had better news for your first post but that definitely looks like a hardware issue. I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with our Hardware department, they will guide you on how to proceed: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• KIRI
    KIRI Member Posts: 34 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

I had same issue on M+ (I understand it's quite common, though the Mk3 I had previously never suffered!), and NI fixed it under warranty - got the M+ back recently and all seems to be working fine now. big thanks to NI for hassle-free support on this.

• kinskop
    Options

Oh my....but okay...I already thought so. Thank you so much for answering. I had a similar issue on my MK2 back in the days but that took way longer until it occured. It's okay as it's still under warranty. It's just a hassle because it's the centerpiece of my hardware setup.

Anyone knows if they're handling their hardware support here in Berlin? That would at least bring the delivery times down.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,114 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

@kinskop Our repair centre is not in Berlin but shipping in Germany isn't taking that much longer.

• kinskop
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just to close this topic: NI Warranty Service worked great. Got it send in without any stupid questions and got a brand new unit back within just a little bit over a week. And with all my precious data saved on SD, setting it up from scratch wasn't such a big deal.

Well made NI 😁

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 177 Helper
    Options

I bought Maschine Plus today and this happened. I will be careful and try to use them as little as possible and with slow rotation so that they last longer. Plus I need it to perform live and I have to accept the fact that it's like that, otherwise I'm delighted with Maschine and I like using it a lot and I also have an MK3 that also had the same problem and that's the only thing I'm sorry for and everything else is great and I'm satisfied with the Music I produce and Listeners are too and lately I got emails from them tanking me for the Music but as much as I have good reception on streaming services it's not big income and I have to save money for almost a year to buy Plus while I was paying bills on time so it's getting better and I am trying to do better and after several calls for Live i was convinced that M Plus solved hardware quality.

I have to point out that I use all the functions because I thought it was designed so that I could freely design the sound and some users don't use them and they are more focused on just Pads and other DAW'S while I focused on NI only and honestly with the Maschine MK3 I succeeded with my Music which is Authentic because of NI Maschine MK3 in the first place. It is what it is and I will be careful And I will try my best to use them slowly and gently, TLC (Tender Love and Care)

• John Curry
    John Curry Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
    Options
    Cheap pots, and pcb boards that fail. Please don’t except that!.. Return or send it back. Lot of money to be spending to just live with it. Unacceptable!
  • kinskop
    Options

It's not uncommon that the Encoders have some 0.1 like Jitter. You just need to have an eye on if it's constant behavior and if it's getting worse. But I wouldn't stay in constant fear. I'm pretty sure the Encoders don't break by over tweaking them but more by internal failure. The Maschine encoders have always be a weak point but at least the ones on the Maschine+ are very well constructed. No wiggle what so ever. I would actually encourage you to give that Maschine a propper use, because if that Encoder turns out to be a faulty one you can easily get your unit replaced as long as you have warranty for it.

And like I said before...replacement Service has been really good.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 177 Helper
    Options

First I want to say that I appreciate all advice and common sense, really i do.

As you said on M+ encoders are better but it is what I was convinced too but then so many others share same or similar experience, some are describing different kind of problem and when I watch YouTubers and how they using Encoders it's always slow almost berly touching them... Replacement is pain because I am not in EU but I am in Europe and it would costs but what about Store official distributior where a bought M+ , they are different because they think that it's not there's job to replace and when I was waiting for MK3 to be replaced for over a month but it happened thanks to NI support, one worker told me how he thinks that they are receiving faulty unit but it was weird and I don't believe. However I can confirm that quality of encoders is not like it's seems I asked a lot of YouTubers and different Artists but they are saying that over time they will get Loose and all I can do is to follow what is happening as you mentioned and to use them gently with less power and it is what is written in Manual so I will careful and I will follow what is happening other than what I recorded everything else is surprisingly good, Amazing actually and I hope that it's not going to be problem again like it was in the past.

I will make setup made of released Music and something to improvise.

I can't bother support if it's actually happened on a small decimal scale I need more time to be sure and honestly I am tired and if I come to conclusion that I don't like it will be who knows how long until I get replacement ( and I payed for bran new unit ) . About constant fear, I promised to myself that I won't be nervous because I don't want that feeling and today I think that it's important to share experiences because for someone it can Fe stressful as it was to me with my first MK3 . Honestly I expected something new somekind solution that can do better than my Plastic Nektars P1 and T4 they didn't give up on me after extensive use. I will follow as you said .