Seem to miss MIDI in Host Integration of Maschine Mk3 and Ableton Live 11

Orangelynx
Orangelynx Member Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2022 in Maschine

Hi,

so i read a lot about proper host integration of MASCHINE and Ableton Live 11. I installed the template for Ableton as described in this help article: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4413367278097-How-to-Install-MASCHINE-Templates-for-Ableton-Live

and also created a mapping in the controller editor using the Ableton Factory Template.

I then set up ableton like this:

Result: Transport controls appear to work, so does Undo. But looking at the controller editor, I feel that pressing the pads should create some MIDI signal on some channel, but that only happens if I leave the host integration mode and switch to MIDI mode, by pressing shift+"Channel/MIDI".

Is this normal? I feel like I perhaps misconfigured something and MIDI should be coming from the control surface mode as well?

Cheers,

Max

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Yes, it's normal, in "DAW Control" Mode the Pads don't do much of anything and whatever is showing in Controller Editor doesn't matter as this Mode does not use Controller Editor templates. It only does so in MIDI Mode if you're using the MK3 legacy template/remote script which is abandoned afaik, it was never finished for the MK3 anyway; it had 100x more functions than DAW Control but was originally made fr the Maschine Studio and only ported to the MK3 halfway.

If this sounds confusing it's because it is. 🤷‍♂️

In the MK3 product page under downloads, there is a button called "Download Daw Control Cheat Sheet" - It's a PDF with all the functions it can do.

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    edited January 2022

Well, you're in luck 😉

First: while your configuration isn't wrong it's better to leave the in- and out -puts blank, especially if you're also using the Live remote script for Maschine.

Second... as to getting MIDI out (and in!) of Maschine you may enjoy this guide I just finished:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/450/guide-getting-the-most-out-of-maschine-ableton-live-push

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Yes, it's normal, in "DAW Control" Mode the Pads don't do much of anything and whatever is showing in Controller Editor doesn't matter as this Mode does not use Controller Editor templates. It only does so in MIDI Mode if you're using the MK3 legacy template/remote script which is abandoned afaik, it was never finished for the MK3 anyway; it had 100x more functions than DAW Control but was originally made fr the Maschine Studio and only ported to the MK3 halfway.

If this sounds confusing it's because it is. 🤷‍♂️

In the MK3 product page under downloads, there is a button called "Download Daw Control Cheat Sheet" - It's a PDF with all the functions it can do.

• Orangelynx
    Orangelynx Member Posts: 4 Member

@D-One I see, thanks for the clarification. Bummer that the DAW Control mode isn't more powerful, and given that the python files are compiled, there's not much we as a community can do about that either.

I'll have to dig more into the MIDI mode and available (user) templates. @ShelLuser thx for the guide, I'll comment in that Thread as well.