Reaktor 6.5.0: Announcing start of Beta phase for January 2023

Options

Comments

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    edited January 2023
    Options

The VST2 SDK doesn't have to be ported to ARM, actually. Some plugin developers actually made VST2 work on Apple Silicon and it wasn't that compliacted, apparently. It's just that Steinberg doesn't want to support that scenario (well, VST2 in its entirety, really). But it can and did work.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579647

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 156 Advisor
    Options

It may sound technically naive to ask, but after how much time of beta testing can we expect an official update ?

I know it will depend on the stability of the beta, and this will be known only after beta-testing it, but maybe there is already some expectations based on concrete facts about how solid already is the beta...

• Georg_NI
    Georg_NI Product Team Posts: 20 mod
    Options

At the moment I feel the quality of the latest builds is good and I would expect to be ready for release in mid-February. But there are no guarantees here, let's see what bug traffic the beta will uncover.

• Calagan
    Options
  • Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 410 Guru
    Options

I own an SAAS company, and the saying I use with our developers is always the same "I'd rather it was right than quick."

I'm sure everyone would rather the team takes its time and begins the beta when they're ready.

• Calagan
    Options

Of course, better to have it right than quick (but damn ! it's not quick !) 😅

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 169 Advisor
    Options

Playing devil’s advocate…

This should not matter, because no one should use a beta product in a production scenario. It’s a migration feature, not an inability to load the plugin in a DAW. This is hardly fatal, unless the details are more ominous than indicated. It’s a pretty low level issue.

Beyond that, the goobers over at VI-Control are now reporting this as an EoL announcement for the REAKTOR product, Lol.

They also report that Super 8 is dead, even though the announcement is that it is going away as a standalone synth and back to REAKTOR 6.

• deathstarz72
    deathstarz72 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

It would be useful to add Mac OSX 13 and M1 chipset to the list of devices you have for testing on the beta site.

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro
    edited January 2023
    Options

I cannot express how much that sent me over the hedge. I actually re-read this whole thread, because I thought I missed something. It is as a matter of fact the first thread I ever set to "ignored" on VI, because I found it so infuriating.

I actually own NI products which reached EOL and I can say that the announcement for these by NI were really clear. Like, they explicitly said things like "product reached EOL! This is not a drill!".

Anyway. One can however read a lot between the lines of Georg's well phrased statement which hints at the troubles a small team faces right now in the NI ecosystem and I am glad they bring Reaktor through these tribulations.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited January 2023
    Options

Wrong, Reaktor is not set to be EOL at this point.

Also confirming that Super 8 is not dead either, it will just return to being a Reaktor synth and won't have its standalone version maintained any longer.

I would take what's coming from this thread with a pinch of salt.

• prof_lofi
    prof_lofi Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

It's not exactly a ringing endorsement though is it?

I completely commend the team who are getting it up to at least a current standard but I don't feel super confident about where or if Reaktor will be in 3 to 5 years.

Shame - using it right now and love it even though I can use Max better.

This discussion has been closed.