Help us improve this new community - share your ideas and feedback💡

Options

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,603 Expert
    Options

Yeah, it's going to be a rough ride for all us older users, this forum is more for the hip young reddit kind of user who is more interested to earn achievements and gold stars that can be pinned up on the fridge. Lack of formatting options is probably a reflection of the fact most of the younger generation don't know what formatting is :)

• JesterMgee
    Options

Oh, and there you go, emojis are not auto recognised from characters anymore :(

• JesterMgee
    Options

This is how I see things all the time, the indicator never matches what is actually there unless I click the page then after it is loaded, refresh it again:

• JesterMgee
    Options

Another complaint....

Images when you click on the old forum opened in a shadowbox which was great as it did not nav away. Seems on here now they open a new tab which is always undesired.

Also, it is no longer possible to highlight an image and assign a URL to it

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,356 Expert
    Options

and yet, the previous achievements aren't preserved. 🙄

What's up with quoting?!??? An even more unfortunate dysfunctional atrocity! 🤬

• ozon
    Options

Can't delete my own messages. 😳

• JesterMgee
    Options

Most forums don't allow deleting of messages only editing, even the old forum you couldn't delete a message I am sure. Editing a message on here ATM tho seems to just cause it to disappear, tho I have read that this is due to the moderation system which I suspect causes any edit to be flagged which is kind of silly, the reason I am not bothering to just edit old posts to add extra info and instead having to spam this forum

• JesterMgee
    Options

Seems impossible for us to add a call to an NI member into a post.

I want to ping you Matt in this post so here is what I do:

Cant seem to find you there, no worries I will add more of your handle:

So that isn't working either.

@"Matt @ NI" < Doesnt work

So now i'm out of ideas on how to easily just add a call to a NI member

• JesterMgee
    Options

Yeah I have to echo this.

I suspect the market is new younger users who don't even understand basic mark-up language and formatting (or even proof reading) of posts and like most of these communities, they have to bow down to the lowest levels of understanding but now in a push to make things "more simplified" and clean we lose a lot of useful functionality, making our volunteering harder to do.

The comments on how this is viewed read to me the same as you reflect, like:

"we know you older guys are more experienced, actually offer more help round here than these kids who just want a fast answer and you guys know how to actually properly format and deliver your information, but we feel because you are important and few, we need to just take these power user features away in favour of the younger kids that don't know how to use them and won't stick round to learn anyway..."

This is diplomatic speak for:

"We have decided to go with this plugin, these are no longer possible, just get use to it"

I almost spat my coffee when I also read "this isn't how it will be forever, things will change over time" since sorry to say guys, the concept of time that NI has is way different to most mortals. We can maybe expect some improvements in 2-7 years perhaps :)

Just as we have to get use to some things changing, the mods will also have to get use/ready for constant feedback/b!tching like this about how a seemingly insignificant and small feature maybe they never understood is rather detrimental now to how we want to interact with users. I fear it's going to drive some of the very experienced and wealth's of knowledge away over some basic things.

Oh, and another issue: no "preview" for a post, would be nice to see if a comment will be blocked or edited for some kind of weird language issue.

• ozon
    Options

Breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page would be helpful, especially on the smartphone/portable devices version.

• ozon
    Options

Is it true that I had to earn the „10 Comments Badge“ to have access to the PM / DM feature?!

If true, this is a really bad idea if someone needs to contact a mod before doing posts for whatever reason.

• GoKeez
    GoKeez Member Posts: 79 Advisor
    Options

I don’t mind the gamification features. iMO, requiring users to invest a few posts to receive advanced access is a good idea as it promotes engagement and limits Cherry pickers who just hop in to get a quick fix than vanish without contributing or atleast investing some time which is bogus.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited January 2022
    Options

I agree with the majority of your previous critiques but you're overthinking the whole generational thing, there's was really never any intention of catering to any particular audience of any age group, just the desire of modernization feature wise and more important that than fixing a big issue of the old forum: Making any sort of change was a major pain due to the 15yr old system, changes needed to get past layers of approval or waiting for the web/IT team to be available but now if 'we' as a community don't like something there is a chance it can just be changed in 5min within the limitations of the provider of course, this is major IMO... Everything else has pros and cons of course. Obviously a more modern platform will have more trendy/hip features but that's not exactly the main focus of this huge change, just a by product of something deeper.

What formatting options are you referring/missing specifically? I miss quite some stuff too.. Keep in mind we are at early stages and lots will change based on feedback and how users interact with the new platform in general.

About the ranks / achievements, theres lots of cool ideias on how they can used and I think most users will like it when it gets more mature, right now it might be annoying because it still needs a lot of tweaking, there will be lots of "why can't I do XYZ" confusion, again early stages... I like the idea of rewarding users that interact with others in a positive manner and/or are helpful members of the community.

So... It can be cool or just be "fluff" for many users, if it's the latter just ignore it. Taking the reddit example, I don't care about peoples rep 90% of the time but theres those 10% where rep can help me understand a users knowledge level, background, and general behavior.

• ozon
    Options

Very thoughtful as usual.

The only part I don’t agree with is the assumption that any of the mentioned missing features need to be implemented. None of it is unusual or NI specific.

Also, newly evaluated product should be able to cover all common ground plus the basic feature set of the previously used product.

But let’s see where this journey goes…

• ozon
    edited January 2022
    Options

It’s hard to tell whether I have already voted for a comment or not. I can hardly see any distinction between my own vote or anybody else’s vote.

Would be nice if the colour of the voting icon (e.g. thumbs up) changed if it contains my vote.

It seems the vote button which contains my vote is blueish grey instead if plain grey. Didn’t see it at first, probably due to dim screen at night.

This discussion has been closed.