Help us improve this new community - share your ideas and feedback💡

Options

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,945 mod
    edited January 2022
    Options

@JesterMgee Sorry the post above was huge... I'll just reply to a couple of more things.

I have no problem with some subtle showcases of rewards but on day 1 it was clear with the ladders on every page, this is a competition for post count and reading some of the initial statements that were really promoting the reward system seemed very focused at kids to earn their badges, like my kids in scouts. I'm past all that, I have simple goals to offload some of my knowledge to help others before I die, I don't need a reward to encourage me and it's sad that seems to be the only way to draw users in these days.

The point about it it being everywhere is fair, it's fixed. Sure... You don't need rewards to help people out, neither do I, Uwe, EvilDragon and about 10 other active users but we are definitively not a representation of the average forum user... not by a long shot. For us these features are just extra fluff because we would do it anyway, so as long as it doesn't get in the way and also stimulate regular users to be nice and helpfull it's cool with me. Theres are some things planned for it that is not my place to reveal but I guarantee you will like.

As soon as this forum opened its doors, the editor was swapped out almost immediately due to mentioned limitations, then swapped back a few days later due to some other issues. This begs me to question did anyone actually test this or just design it on paper? Scrambling to find things that will actually work after the go button has been hit doesn't really scream confidence.

I guess that's also a fair POV but I look at it differently: I appreciate the fact that if people don't like X we can swap it for Y immediately and give it a go, obviously some things are complicated (like the editor) and will require some time but for me it's still better than the old forum approach where if we didn't like something then it was literally: "too bad, live with it."

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,945 mod
    Options

Not sure about bookmarks but in your profile you have access to "Comments", perhaps that should be in the quick access profile dropdown.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,635 Expert
    Options

Few more things...

Commented sections are displaying as just plain text when you receive an email version of the post which means when someone adds quotes and comments (such as below), you cannot easily see what is what as it is all plain text in the email.

Also, there needs to be a way to easily unsubscribe from a watched thread from email (or even the forum itself).

Possibly blind but how do you unsub from a thread if you wish to stop receiving emails from it? I've looked all over and cannot see anything?

Also, in regards to formatting it is not possible to use SHIFT+ENTER to place text on a new line, instead every time you press ENTER it creates a new paragraph (Shift+ent makes no difference, nor ctrl). There are often times it is useful to be able to have a new line without making it a paragraph and usually holding Shift allows this.

Font size can be controlled with headings, it's not as flexible as per word/letter sizing but I am not sure how useful that is anyway. For Color I think the issue is accessibility guidelines, we have to follow those for obvious reasons... TBH it always annoyed me when users post rainbow text threads for no reason......

Yeah I know of the heading options, sometimes it is nice to have flexible text options tho. Colours are more of a "meh" thing, I rarely use them since I'm colour-blind anyway but sometimes to highlight something on a forum that is currently just black and white, having the option to make a string blue or red for instance is always handy, tho Red is the colour I'm least responsive too.

You can do that (indent text). But you need to use list formatting first.

Yeah I did know of indenting lists, I'm simply talking indenting a paragraph but this one is more something I note isn't possible, not something I use much.

There are polls, if you don't see them it's a gamification thing, which like I mentioned early is not set in stone yet.

I do not see any Poll option nor is it clear what is hidden until what level / score / badge / gold star I have to earn. Possibly it is maybe a Mod only feature for now?

As far as too many emojis I can't say I agree, I always hated only having those limited 7 or 8 from the previous forum. If the issue is sorting thru a long list then just use your OS emoji keyboard shortcut, if MacOS has this I am sure Windows does too, my most used emojis show up first and I can also text search when I occasionally want to use a more obscure one:

Nah, issue is I mostly don't see the need for 95% of them and I have never used an "Emoji keyboard". It's just a gripe really that for a forum/discussion board a few basic emojis to convey tone is perfectly fine but who the hell will need any of these:

It's just something that I feel gets overused these days but it's standard in most things now.

Most of the above is stuff I can easily looked past, main things I see have to be Quoting of posts is a bit terrible, missing signature option (and useful fields in a profile) and just a few of these annoying formatting limitations. Everything else is just changes to furniture really that will become norm over time

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 373 Guru
    Options

After a few days getting used to it, I'm overall pretty happy with the experience, with one exception:

The read/unread system in both the Forums and the Notifications is pretty broken – threads in the Forums stay bold after viewing under certain circumstances, and in the bell popup it does not mark post notifications as read when we view the posts, only when we click them in the popup, so you might come back to 34 notifications from three busy threads, catch up on the threads, then have to manually Mark All As Read to get rid of the rest of the unread notifications (which are red on the bell icon but green on the posts in the popup for some reason, by the way). And you may have missed that one of the 34 notifications you just marked as read was actually from a different thread you haven't seen yet, which you'll now never know had a new post in it.

That's a lot of new overhead compared to the old forums, and with the added risk of missing content we care about.

It would be much better if the forum kept track of what we actually see and removed notifications for posts we have seen from the popup automatically. Why keep all the read notifications in the popup anyway? There's a link to "All Notifications" at the bottom of it that's apparently just the same thing but on a separate page? Or do it like in the old forums, where it linked threads and not posts, and clicking on a thread took you to the first unread message, not the last message in the thread.

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 373 Guru
    edited January 2022
    Options

One more suggestion: There's a link named "Discussions" in the main forum, and one in the profile page, and they do different things. Perhaps it would be good to rename the one in the profile to something like "Discussions started by $user" to avoid confusion?

edit: Actually, two more suggestions :) There was a functionality in the old forums when you looked at the "New Posts" page (the equivalent of which here would be "Discussions" I guess) that would tell you "No new posts in threads after this message since your last visit" and it was very helpful. Would it be possible to get this back somehow?

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,364 Expert
    Options

Forum Feature Request: Allow (Mods) to create tickets directly from forum threads.

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Options

Well, time for another impression post. My previous posts were full first impressions and it was even an unfair impression because things changed between then and now. This editor is definitely a lot better than that previous thingamagick.

So now I have a few days worth of experience with the current setup and honestly you guys? I like this!

Now sure, the main gripe right is that the quoting system isn't very useful right now because you can only copy a whole post as a "blob". But you can still somewhat easily work around that if you want to... For example:

@ShelLuser wrote:

Have to agree with you Jester... in some specific areas this feels like a step backwards.

... however this comment reflected on the old situation. Now, sure, it's now a little more difficult for random readers to see where I originally said this. But then we also need to focus on the intent of this forum: support. Usually the OP is the one who needs to keep an overview and something tells me that they'll know what they previously asked about ;)

In the mean time I also had a chance to look into the "unanswered" section and that is very useful indeed. I'm also quite happy with the "drafts" section because this allows me to write up longer posts spread out over more time yet without having to resort to Word or temporary copies (I would often grab the source of a message and then copy/pasting that into notepad or such. Of course the problem was that this wouldn't save any "ad-hoc" pictures I added).

New forum takes getting used to here and there, for sure, but this is definitely a solid basis if you ask me.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,117 admin
    Options

DMs are available for everyone start at the SINE rank which means you only need 3 comments. This is to prevent users spamming others and not taking the time to even search / post. If we see this is not working, we'll change it.

• Matt_NI
    Options

I can really confirm that this is was not done with a specific demographic in mind. However, accessibility and ease of use was a big topic since we noticed the old forum was preventing a lot of users to get going on the community.

• Matt_NI
    Options

You do have a report button at the bottom of each post under flag. Just click on there and tell us why you'd want it reported.

• Matt_NI
    Options

You can see all the discussions you participated in on your profile under discussions / comments. The discussion level is also in the quick links. Bookmarks are not automated, you'd need to curate your own list.

• Matt_NI
    Options

That's already do-able by our Customer Care agents available here. We can totally enable that for mods after some training.

• Matt_NI
    edited January 2022
    Options

There's a completely new filtering/sorting feature being released super soon. Let me check what's included there as it might already have what you mention🤞

We should get insights on that this week and we'll try share some screenshot if we can.

• ozon
    Options

Thank you for your answer. For some reason, I didn't see the New Message button enabled after 3 comments, only after I received the 10 Comments badge. Maybe this was some kind of updating issue on iOS.

However, I would like to stress the point that there should be either:

• Ability to DM a Moderator (BTW, where's the moderators list?) regardless of rank.
    • Admin/Mod forum where questions can be posted privately until a Mod looks at them.

If the change to this new platform is about accessibility, then you should make access to Moderators easy as well.

• ozon
    Options

Ok, thanks! I only found Discussions but not Comments, because I didn't look at my full profile. Actually, I needed to click around after this hint to view my profile.

IMO, this is not very accessible and some functionality is really much more hidden or inaccessible on mobile devices.

This discussion has been closed.