NKS Development Discussion

Comments

• TVbene
    TVbene Member Posts: 20 Member

Hey, I'm trying to make and contribute some NKS - mainly for FX plugins. I want to use Maschine to control my guitar FX. Is there anything to consider for FX? In KK I have to add an instrument first, of course. I'm using KK 2.6.5.

I don't need the images for it to work, do I? The Eventide H9 effects should be a good template for it. For now the one preset I made only shows when user content is selected in KK. But this should have changed, am I right? With the correct files in dist_database the vendor and plugin name should be shown when browsing "FX"?

• Daniel
    Daniel Member Posts: 27 Member

Is anyone else experiencing the issue where the sounds.com folder has vanished from the Komplete Kontrol software? I'm currently on version 3.0.1, and I've noticed that none of the NKS folders (for example, those from Freelance Soundlabs) are appearing either. While I'm aware that I can manually add these folders, they only show up under 'user-created content'. I'd prefer for these presets to be listed as factory presets. Any solutions?

• nirvanagold
    nirvanagold Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi Daniel. Yes, I found this as well, so I moved all my Third Party KK presets elsewhere and added the folder to be scanned by KK. As you say, this means they must now appear under User Content. It looks to me like with this release NI has removed the ability of KK to index the Sounds.com folder since, I think, they retired that service - so I've deleted the folder now. I did like the presets being under Factory Content but I haven't found another way to achieve that.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod

Now added DocT Soundset 1, the Wolfram Franke sound sets (combined into one), Dajan Izzo and Andre Geisler Soundsets

• Daniel
    Daniel Member Posts: 27 Member
  • TVbene
    TVbene Member Posts: 20 Member
    edited October 2023

OK, the part where I was expecting the presets not to appear as user presets was wrong of course...

BTW is there any way to search inside of a specific forum thread here? There is certainly a lot of infos to find in this one, but I really don't get the new forum technology...

• Mercury
    Mercury Member Posts: 102 Advisor
    edited October 2023

FYI: A full tutorial will be soon available here for Windows. I have finished the translation and a proofreading is in progress as English is not my mother tongue.

• Kymeia

Very cool, thank you for doing this (in both languages)

• Mercury
    Mercury Member Posts: 102 Advisor

If someone wants to make a tutorial for Mac, I can send him the word version to possibly make the task easier.

• Kymeia

Yes I'll do that, thanks again

• Kymeia
    edited October 2023

Added 5 more soundsets:

Don Petersen

Holger Streinbrink

Jay de Micili 

Kai Niggemann 1&2 (combined)

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,773 mod
    edited November 2023

Thanks a lot Mercury, for gathering all these info together, great work!

I would like to add few more "tricks" from my own research, for the more advanced users:

1- on the "gulp rewrite" command (the gulp r on Mercury's tutorial), i have included the FX too (.nksfx), otherwise you can not make NKS FX presets, only Instruments. Or you have to edit the document every time and change the name (from .nksf to .nksfx or vise-versa).

gulp.src ["src/**/*.nksf", "src/**/*.nksfx"]

2- there is another great option, the "replace mapping". With this, you can mass-replace the default mapping of all presets, with your own personal (or, someone else's) template mapping. To do this, you need the gulp-nks-replace-mapping. Just put its folder to your "node_modules" folder and add this code to your gulpfile.coffee:

On the top of the document add this line:

replace = require 'gulp-nks-replace-mapping'

Then, after the "rewrite" section, add this:

gulp.task 'replace', ->

.pipe replace 'src/Template.nksf', { type: 'NKSF' }

.pipe gulp.dest 'dest'

Now, copy your own master template to the "src" folder and rename it to "Template" (or any other name you like, as long as you declare it in the above code). In the same folder put all the presets you want to change their mapping. You can put entire folders there, full banks with their sub-banks etc (for example, i did my entire 3rd party Zebra libraries, over 80 different banks, at once).

The process is exactly the same as Mercury described in his tutorial for the rewrite command, the only difference is that you are using "replace" instead of "rewrite". That's it!

Finally, here is my own gulpfile.coffee code, with all commands simplified and without any tasks that almost nobody use anymore (such as the "gulp print"):

gulp     = require 'gulp'
    replace  = require 'gulp-nks-replace-mapping'
    { src, dest } = require 'gulp'
    rewrite  = require 'gulp-nks-rewrite-meta'
    beautify = require 'js-beautify'

gulp.task 'replace', ->
        .pipe replace 'src/Template.nksf', { type: 'NKSF' }
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'

gulp.task 'rewrite', ->
        .pipe rewrite
          author: 'add_your_name_or_leave empty'
          bankchain: ['product_name', 'bank_name', 'sub_bank_name']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'

Note: Just remember to change the "author" and "bankchain" names!

__________________________________________________________________________________

Some more tips:

You can do a lot of changes in those codes, as long as you keep the basic structure. For example, here is a template for the Fabfilter Twin, were i created 10 "src" folders (src1, src2, src3, etc.), each one for a different Twin bank. I also removed completely the "author" section:

gulp.task 'rewrite', ->
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'Arp', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'
      gulp.src ["src1/**/*.nksf", "src1/**/*.nksfx"]
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'Bass', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'
      gulp.src ["src2/**/*.nksf", "src2/**/*.nksfx"]
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'Best of Twin 2', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'
      gulp.src ["src3/**/*.nksf", "src3/**/*.nksfx"]
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'Drums', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'
      gulp.src ["src4/**/*.nksf", "src4/**/*.nksfx"]
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'FX', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'
      gulp.src ["src5/**/*.nksf", "src5/**/*.nksfx"]
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'Keys', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'
      gulp.src ["src6/**/*.nksf", "src6/**/*.nksfx"]
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'Lead', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'
      gulp.src ["src7/**/*.nksf", "src7/**/*.nksfx"]
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'Pads', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'
      gulp.src ["src8/**/*.nksf", "src8/**/*.nksfx"]
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'Sidechain', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'
      gulp.src ["src9/**/*.nksf", "src9/**/*.nksfx"]
        .pipe rewrite
          bankchain: ['Twin 3', 'Synth', '']
        .pipe gulp.dest 'dest'

As you can see, things are quiet flexible (though there are limitations of course). Don't be afraid to experiment (as long as you keep a backup of your main gulpfile.coffee)!

Hope that this mini addition will give you some more insights to the whole process. :-)

• Kymeia
    edited November 2023

Thanks - I don't use this gulp thing, just old fashioned saving presets one at a time - I’m not really confident with the command line

btw for adding bank names and editing everything that it currently locked out on KK3 this is really useful, although Mac only

https://www.doobox.co.uk/apps/mac/nksf_preset_banker.html