Maschine MK3 Transport Controls in Studio One

Options
EmAge
EmAge Member Posts: 30 Member
edited September 2023 in Maschine

Hi together,

I can't figure out how to set up the transport controls for Studio One properly. I use Mackie Control and I set it up in Studio One.

Now I think when I press Record on the Maschine Hardware, Studio One should start recording (that's what I'm looking for), but it doesn't. The Record button on the Maschine Hardware just activates record in the Maschine plugin.

All Transport buttons work except Record. Record only works in Midi_mode.

Any ideas ?

Edit: In MIDI mode, the REC button activates recording in Studio One. In MASCHINE mode, the REC button activates recording only in the MASCHINE plug-in.

Best regards, Marcel

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Look at the picture you posted, the Record button is not included in the green highlight of Host Transport Control - This means Record will still control Maschine Software (unless of course you're fully in MIDI Mode)

You can however change the function on any of the 5 buttons to Record If you want, in Controller Editor right "Assign" panel change any button ID to 95, that's the MCU/mackie record ID.

Will be hard to have muscle memory if you use Maschine standalone app tho but if you don't the it could work.

Answers

• D-One
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Look at the picture you posted, the Record button is not included in the green highlight of Host Transport Control - This means Record will still control Maschine Software (unless of course you're fully in MIDI Mode)

You can however change the function on any of the 5 buttons to Record If you want, in Controller Editor right "Assign" panel change any button ID to 95, that's the MCU/mackie record ID.

Will be hard to have muscle memory if you use Maschine standalone app tho but if you don't the it could work.

• EmAge
    Options

I understand. Thank you. Maybe SHIFT+Record in Maschine Mode could trigger DAW's record in future firmware updates or so. Dunno, it's not easy to find a good workflow. I think I need to going to buy a Faderport.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    Options

Just to have a record button? Buy a Faderport if you want a Faderport. Otherwise install Studio One Remote app on any phone or tablet that you have

• EmAge
    edited September 2023
    Options

I need an iPad for it, mate. :P Not compatible with phones, said the App-Store.

I just tried to set up Mackie Control to play notes. I used a tutorial that I found on the support page. (Can't post links, not long enough here ...)

When I now press C3 (1st Pad) I should hear my Kick (sitting on C3), but instead the pad just triggers this window (F7 Channel Editor).

When I use Maschine Control as Midi Input, I can play all notes just fine, but the transport controls of Mackie are gone, of course.

Any ideas to this ? It could be an issue with Studio One ?!, I don't know. Clueless atm.

Edit: Yes, must be something with Studio One. In Cubase I can play the notes just fine with Mackie Control.

Now I don't know what I can do in Studio One to make it work, uff. I've made a post at the Presonus forum.

It seems that you can't play notes with Mackie Control (MackieControl.surface.xml) in Studio One. Presonus should fix this.

Edit 2: The workaround I've found is, to delete the following lines from MackieControl.surface.xml to prevent function keys windows (like channel editor) to pop up while playing notes.

(C:\Program Files\PreSonus\Studio One 6\devices\Mackie\Control)

"<!-- F1 - F8 -->

<Control name="F1" title="F1"   type="trigger" options="receive public"> <MidiMessage status="#90" address="#36"/> </Control>

<Control name="F2" title="F2"   type="trigger" options="receive public"> <MidiMessage status="#90" address="#37"/> </Control>

<Control name="F3" title="F3"   type="trigger" options="receive public"> <MidiMessage status="#90" address="#38"/> </Control>

<Control name="F4" title="F4"   type="trigger" options="receive public"> <MidiMessage status="#90" address="#39"/> </Control>

<Control name="F5" title="F5"   type="trigger" options="receive public"> <MidiMessage status="#90" address="#3A"/> </Control>

<Control name="F6" title="F6"   type="trigger" options="receive public"> <MidiMessage status="#90" address="#3B"/> </Control>

<Control name="F7" title="F7"   type="trigger" options="receive public"> <MidiMessage status="#90" address="#3C"/> </Control>

<Control name="F8" title="F8"   type="trigger" options="receive public"> <MidiMessage status="#90" address="#3D"/> </Control>"

In Studio One it should look like this.

Only this way, the transport AND notes work.

• D-One
    Options

You can't use Mackie emulation than also want to use random MIDI Messages, the whole point of Mackie is to use MIDI to control specific things, so if you use random notes and cc's you have to make sure those midi messages arent used by the mackie/mcu protocol.

You can read which notes do what here:

https://www.jjlee.com/qlab/Mackie%20Control%20MIDI%20Map.pdf

• EmAge
    Options

The tutorial on the support page (Setting up Your MASCHINE Controller for Host Transport Control in Logic Pro / Customizing a group of pads to trigger / record MIDI notes) says it works with Mackie, and it works in Cubase just fine. Just not in Studio One.

• D-One
    edited September 2023
    Options

It might depend on how much of the Mackie control the DAW supports. A C3 from a Mackie controller is supposed to this:

You can try a different MIDI Channel and maybe it works.

What exactly do you need from Mackie control, is it all the shenanigans like volume control and such or do you only care about transport control?

If you just need Transport you don't even need to use any Mackie emulation, just MIDI Map the Host Transport Control buttons in the DAW with MIDI Learn. HTC simply makes it so those buttons send MIDI instead of controlling Maschine SW. This will give the freedom to use any note, any channel without worrying about what the daw expects to be a message from mackie controller; make a template from scratch.

• EmAge
    Options

I like that. I won't use Mackie Control. I try to make my own template. All I need are the Transport Controls and Notes C1-D#2 and C3-D#4.