GUI design: adventures in Blender.

Options

Comments

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 433 Pro
    Options

Yes, classical sounds with a generative approach. But I reckon it is not a trivial task...

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 457 Advisor
    Options

Yeah, fix the drum rolls so they sound like drum rolls. Do that and you'll be on a roll. Good luck!!!!

• Bolle
    Bolle Member Posts: 349 Pro
    Options

Silver texture for the metal knobs and dull yellow-ish 303 plastic for the chassis.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Knobs with light channels.

I didn't know how to animate these channels the right way, so i did it the crude way.

They're made out of 60° light emitting triangles that originate from behind a stationary dark slice at the bottom. They overlap and chase the lead slice each at different speeds and form a single band of light. The chassis and knobs cover up the excess material.

Normally you would animate a single, precise curve that grows out of an origin point. In one piece.

Bumpkin Animation. But it works.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Asked and received help from the kind people on the Blender forum and redid the light channels the proper way.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited September 2023
    Options

Went for knobs with light channels but no light stripe. Both was a little too much.

Like this:

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited September 2023
    Options

Redoing the design of this guy.

I hope you like mustard green.

Greets,

Bolle

• Brett Lavallee
    Brett Lavallee Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Looks good!

• Bolle
    Options

Thank you Brett!

I wasn't sure if i wanted to retouch the old design. Its simplicity has its charm. A rectangular purple box with knobs. Simples. But if i was going to do it, i might as well change the whole colour scheme.

Thinking of adding an extra layer of flexibility with routing options for the LFO's in view B. Now two LFO's go to their separate filter and another goes to the output amp. That leaves the distortion controls, bit depth and perhaps Chorus delay time to be routed to. That's not much. We'll see.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited September 2023
    Options

New addition for CRUDE 2.4: dual Krell circuit.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

I think CRUDE demands a little delay and/or reverb. I also think most DAWs come with great reverbs and delays. Still contemplating adding something to the CRUDE ensemble, so i went ahead and put some skin on Boscomac's 'Air Reverb'. Just for fun.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited September 2023
    Options

Made a design sketch for a delay i built a while ago.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

The Boscomac reverb is an edit by Jonathan Tremblay, that came with CV inputs for room size, LP filter, HP filter and dry/wet mix.

So i did the same for my own Lunar Delay (with CV for L delay time, R delay time, Low frequency filter and dry/wet mix), and gave them both CV on/off switches to switch between CV or manual control.

CRUDE's random sound generating circuit generates random -1... 1 values, so i made 8 more and gave them 0... 1 values for CV output.

Currently testing everything to see if it's worth updating CRUDE in the User Library to include both the Boscomac Air Reverb and the Lunar Delay.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Still some work to be done. Exactly how the CV control of Boscomac's 'Air Reverb' works, i don't know. I'm guessing its through multiplication of the knobs control signal by 0... 1.

My little Lunar Delay, however, is 100% controlled by external CV from CRUDE. Something about the harshness (crudeness, innit?) of this sounds really nice. No mix. All random CV. The down side being you have no control over it.

You can try it out if you like. Download link below.

Screenshot:

File:

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options
    • Switched out my own Random Number Generators for Kohtaro Fujishima's 'Xoshiro128++' random number generators. They're much better. Mine weren't as random as i hoped.
    • Created mod rings to visualize CV control for both the Lunar Delay and Boscomac's Air Reverb. The Lunar Delay has CV control for Left and Right Delay Time, Low Frequency control and Dry/Wet mix. The Air Reverb has external modulation available on all four knobs.

Look like this:

Modulation related graphics, of course, disapear when CV modulation us switched off. Might change the Air Reverb mod rings to white to match the cv/bypass text.

Including delay and reverb with modulation was a bit of work, but totally worth it.

This setup makes absolutely amazing sounds.

Greets,

Bolle