GUI design: adventures in Blender.

Options

Comments

• Bolle
    Bolle Member Posts: 349 Pro
    Options

I know! But 1 is around 0db, and clipping occurs when 2 or 3 keys are pressed. I think i need to tone it down by a lot.

• Bolle
    edited August 2023
    Options

Many thanks, Chet!

That makes a lot of sense and explains many of the problems i've been having.

One thing i've seen done many times, and that i can't get my head around, is adding modulators like LFO and Envelope together. Then multiply by 5000 and connecting them to the F input. If an LFO is -1... +1 and an Envelope has a peak of 1, that should result in peaks of 2 and at the low part of the LFO, cancellation of the envelope?

Ideally, an LFO 'dances around', adding and subtracting along the Envelope curve, no? In which case the amplitude of the LFO should be lowered to have any sort of decent effect?

So simples. So hard. 😆

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited August 2023
    Options

Updating the design of this guy.

Greets,

Bolle

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 832 Guru
    Options

db is relative, so there is no absolute point at which clipping will start, that's dependent on the main volume setting in Reaktor (and possibly even driver settings and hardware on your system?).

Probably the best option is to look at how some of the poly factory synths do it. I guess just have a low enough level per voice that clipping doesn't start to early, and tweak the main volume.

In general, a good rule of thumb for balancing the output level on uncorrelated voices is scaling the output by 1/(sqrt(N) where N is the number of voices. That means as N gets larger, each additional voice has less of an impact. So for 8 voices, the scaling factor is ~0.35, while for 16 voices its 0.25. I use a variation of this for my granular engine. I wouldn't use this in a dynamic way on a polysynth, but it's useful to bear in mind when setting the per voice levels.

(If the voices are correlated - so non-detuned unison, synced, phase locked octaves etc., then its 1/N)

Probably makes sense to stick some sort of soft saturation after the mixer, so any time the output does clip, you don't get nasty digi-clipping, instead something a bit warmer. Or a limiter of some sort (rather than compression?)

In the end I think its mostly down to the user to set the main volume at a level where they don't get clipping on the loud parts, and thy can add a compressor if they want.

• Bolle
    Options
  • Chet Singer
    Chet Singer Member Posts: 62 Advisor
    Options

You're very welcome. Here's a circuit fragment that demonstrates what I was talking about.

I don't use the P input at all. I tie it to a large negative number so the internal P>F calculation results in a minimal frequency.

There are four modulation inputs. From the top:

The first is the frequency cutoff control, and ranges from midi note numbers 0 to 127, or about 8 Hz to 12.5 kHz.

The second is keyboard scaling, as done on the Nord Modular. When set to zero there is no modulation from the keyboard. When set to 1, the filter tracks the keyboard perfectly, with midi note number 64, which is E4, as the center point.

The third is an LFO whose depth can range from 0 to +/- one octave.

The fourth is an envelope generator, whose modulation depth can range from 0 to five octaves. In practice you might want the envelope depth to be scaled by note number, too, so that low notes can get a larger modulation amount. But I haven't included that.

• Bolle
    Options

That is a great explanation. And one that will help me with many projects in the future.

Thanks so much, Chet!

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited August 2023
    Options

Working on a DAW- dependent version of the Bass Buddy 303.

Meaning that it will not have a sequencer and is meant for external control.

If i remember correctly, the classic 303 glide sound can be achieved by extending a note slightly beyond the start of the second note. I have no way of achieving this with a sequencer. Thus, a piano roll dependent Bass Buddy.

No sequencer, no internal FX, no frills.

The first version will also not have accent control, but i'm working toward achieving that in a future version. I'm thinking a Selective Note module set outside of the Note Pitch In module's range, and converting those notes to velocity info. As long as i can get particular notes to slam the Clipper, i should be able to make this work. All within a DAW piano roll.

But: it will have a sub oscillator. #phat

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

The GUI of the upcoming DAW Dependent Bass Buddy will never look as good as this shot. 😂

Basic. Minimalist. I like.

Greets,

Bolle

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 457 Advisor
    Options

That's nothing to worry about, you'll find out what keys to play when you play in a band. More of less of anything is all part of music.

• Bolle
    Options

Bass Buddy DD-BB303 finished.

Basic acidic mono synth with sub oscillator.

Based on Martin Brinkmann's 'Screamer' ensemble.

Render:

Screenshot:

Audio demo on the User Library page.

Get it here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/15011/

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Thinking of building a drum machine. Mostly from a design perspective. Throw some vintage influences in there.

There's a million sequencers and drum machines in the User Library already though. And, for my own purposes, i prefer programming drums in a piano roll. More control over detail.

But if anyone has ideas about spicing up a regular old sampler / sequencer into something unique and useable, feel free to post suggestions.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Better.

Greets,

Bolle

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 432 Pro
    Options

I like all the sequencers which offer a geometric and graphical approach to repetitive patterns like node-e and that circular one (forgot the name). I also like probability parameters and nodal systems. Finally, a sequencer which repeatedly bursts into little spreads of notes like the particle engine on Noir are also very fascinating.

Basically everything which takes you away from the highly controlled details of piano rolls or regular step sequencing

• Bolle
    Options

I like that. Even though i don't think i have the Reaktor skills to build such a thing.

Would be nice though. Something that looks like any old drum machine, but with controls that can make it go completely nutso and random.