GUI design: adventures in Blender.

Options

Comments

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 457 Advisor
    Options

Hi Colin, I think I misunderstood the problem. I didn't realize the click was after the detune was switched off. Cross fading won't fix that. Plus I don't see how that's even possible.

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 457 Advisor
    Options

That'll do it. Nice work! Do you know how to make a ramp generator in core yet? It's pretty easy and a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. This is the ramp in the ensemble below. I think it counts up from 0 to the max value and starts over.

• Bolle
    Bolle Member Posts: 349 Pro
    Options

Adding an alternative, more aggressive, drive circuit to the Beezlebaum.

The original gain / boost- like circuit will still be there.

Alternative circuit will be Robin Davies' "too-b-overdrive". The Drive knob will control both the drive amount and, mostly in the early stages, dry / wet mix. So, to a small degree, you will have control over the amount of clean signal coming through.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited July 2023
    Options

Anybody know a great Ladder Filter with gain compensation for Resonance?

I love the Primary fourth order 24db/oct Ladder Filter i have in the Beezlebaum, but raising the resonance kills the volume. Big loud filter sweeps are thus impossible.

I need another filter.

EDIT: tried Michal Gasiorowski's "Screaming Ladder Filter". Sounds alright but not how i want it.

The bog standard Primary filter i'm using sounds way better, but needs compensation for the gain loss of the resonance knob. How to achieve this? Is it just multiplying / amplification through the res control? I have a hunch that it's more complicated than that.

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited July 2023
    Options

Super simple / crude Resonance gain loss compensation for the filter.

Don't ask me where the 17 came from. Guesswork and testing. Seems to work just fine. As i raise the Resonance, the levels stay (almost) exactly the same.

EDIT: The 'Ctrl Shaper' made for bumpy control, because between its breakpoints it's just linear. I made use of the Res knob's original control curve instead and multiplied it by the max value of the Ctrl Shaper + the magic 17 and Bob's your uncle. Smooth control all round.

Greets,

Bolle

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 831 Guru
    Options

Core factory library has ladder filters with parameterised resonance/bass compensation. Just use one of those.

It's not something that can be easily bolted on to an existing filter, it is part of the internal feedback structure.

The Primary filters are old. Core library has a better selection. Modern ZDF tech.

Primary can sound good but... maybe in the same way that folk chase the 'old school' 'grit' of 80s samplers.

• Bolle
    Options

I know they're old. But, indeed, it sounds absolutely amazing. Imo, better than any other filter i've heard so far.

At some point in the future i will look into replacing it with a Core built filter. Same with the Oscillators. If i can get it to sound identical to this setup. If not, it's staying.

I also know that the rudimentary addon i applied to the Resonance control doesn't take into account bass response. But, at first glance, it appears it does exactly what i want it to do.

• windplayer
    windplayer Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Hello Bolle, I tried your Beezlebaum with a windcontroller (sending CC2 per midi learn to Filter Cutoff). This works fine. For finetuning, it would be nice to have a possibility to define the amount (min-max) within the knobs react to an external controller like a windcontroller. Do you see a possibility to integrate this in the ensemble?

• colB
    Options

I know they're old. But, indeed, it sounds absolutely amazing. Imo, better than any other filter i've heard so far.

You say it's amazing and the best you've heard, and yet, you don't seem happy, and ask how to change it ;)

• Bolle
    Options

True. πŸ˜†

It's more that i have a vague schedule in my mind of which things i want to do first. As you've probably noticed i'm not the most Reaktor, and especially Core, building adept person on the planet. So doing the filters first could have me bound up for an inordinate amount of time before i can do anything else. This build is a sort of 'rough cut, then slowly refine' sort of thing for me. I know it has its flaws, but that's ok for now.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

To be quite honest, i have no idea what you're talking about. Your English is very good. That's not an issue. However, i don't know enough about building in Reaktor to know what that means.

Perhaps if it's not too much work to do it, someone else can chime in here and tell me what and how to do it.

I have a whole list of things i want to do first, though. So it might be some time.

Greets,

Bolle

• colB
    Options

To use the core factory filters, just create a core cell, drop a factory core filter in there, and create inputs and output for the core cell that match those on the filter macro, then just wire them up.

The only 'tricky' part is you need to make sure the the main in and out are set to audio, and the control inputs are set to event (or audio if you have smoothed them, or for HQ modulation)

It's literally a 2 minute job. Definitely beginner level too!

• Bolle
    Options

Here's a quick sketch of what a pedal section could look like. Something like distortion, chorus and delay.

I've thought of turning View B of the Beezlebaum into an FX section. It sounds a little dry on its own, but most people have way better FX in their DAW than anything i'm willing to put time in. We'll see.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited July 2023
    Options

I love designing little FX boxes.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited July 2023
    Options

If anybody wants a Beezlebaum version with Chorus and Delay, you can download it here.

Basic lo-fi stereo delay, and a Juno-6 style chorus that sounds as dusty and dull as the real one.

View B:

Download:

Greets,

Bolle