Native Instruments Apple Silicon M1 Compatibility

Options

Comments

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 414 Guru
    Options

I agree 100%, but hardcore PC people won’t even hear about it and are in denial with their 700W towers with flashy RGB lights 🤣

Microsoft knows what’s coming - that’s why they are in bed with Qualcomm.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

700 W is the past (or Intel's present), I have 65 W AMD thing that is stronger than M1 and pretty close to M1 Pro. And silent and small. Current AMD chips have only slightly worse energy efficiency than AS. Zen4 comming in few months will bring even better energy efficiency... No need for switching to ARM on Win platform....

And concerning your question, wherher I would use API that is going to be depreciated one day, instead of the future one. That is question of money, effort, future plans. If I have codebase that uses the old one, I would probably use that. And switched to new one when really needed. And if I didnt have codebase using the old API, I would use the new one. And it also depends how much of old codebase I have.

It also may depend on third party SW. I might use library for multiplatform and it may or may not support new API.

It is costly to rewrite things, one may introduce bugs (customer´s complaints) and user does not have visible profit.... Big customers prefer not to do big changes to SW they use, if not needed. They want it runs well, and they do not care what API is used.... Often they do not want to pay for change to newer API/technology, if everything works. They prefer that it works as it is.

And yes. For many developers is Windows the main platform (more customers) and Mac secondary one. Mac is interesting, but snmaller market. And maintaining SW for Apple more costly...

• Damn
    Damn Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

🤣🤣🤣

if you mean "anti reverse engineering" don't say antidebugging or other fantasy words!

I'm writing code for over 25 years and never heard of that - all my collegues had to lough this morning!

• Maciej Repetowski
    edited June 2022
    Options

Desktop market (towers) is mostly gaming and graphics workstations now. Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 needs about 400W alone. Same with hi end AMD cards in workstations and gaming computers. This is just not sustainable in the long term.

To Kubrak: I agree with all your other points in general, though. Also about AMD processors.

• Kubrak
    Options

"anti reverse engineering" is just broader expression for "antidebugging", at least in my language. It is shorter. We also use debugging in the meaning reverse engineer using low level debugger....

So, now you know, what I meant... Protection against piracy and anti reverse engineering code probably has to be rewritten for M1.... And it diffentiates NI from others.

I am writting code for 40+ years, if that matters.

@Maciej Repetowski

Yes, graphic cards world is crazy.... I do not need them, it passes me... But iGPU of AMD Zen4 APU will equal to low end discrete GPUs. And in Zen5, it will be yet considerably stronger. Majority of folks will not need discrete GPU even for decent quality gaming...

I agree that 800-1000 W PC setups are just crazy.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options

Apple is secondary market and that’s the reason behind NI stating it as a priority.

:smirk:

• Kubrak
    Options

Even secondary market may have priority at given time. If it were primary market, M1 native compatibility would be ready months before M1 release. ;-)

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 157 Advisor
    Options

It's strange : it seems that Apple is not a secondary market for 90% of plugins devs (that already released Apple Silicon versions of their plugins)...

I think it's not honest to find technical or strategic justifications to NI. They just didn't care about updating their products since years. You can't say for exemple that VST3 users are a secondary market.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Options

VST 2 still worked so why bother - I guess that was NI’s strategy for last 16 years 🤣

When Steinberg finally lost patience and pulled the plug from VST2 - the horror was palpable…

I had lots of fun reading developers cries on KVR, some just couldn’t even compile VST3 plugins. It’s not that they didn’t want to, they didn’t know how to make it work AFTER 16 YEARS.

Unbelievable 🤪

• Kubrak
    edited June 2022
    Options

Why unbelievable? They did nothing during those 16 years. Maybe they even tried from time to time, and it did not work. So, why to bother, if everything has worked fine in VST2? Why to risk that things will go wrong, why to spend money on something 98% of users do require? Just to please Steinberg?

And they would have to support VST2 and VST3 for many years. It is reasonable and economical to switch as late as possible, not as fast as possible.

• Kubrak
    Options

@Calagan

They just didn't care about updating their products since years.

Why should they? Products have worked and they still work on target CPU. NI made bugfixes, improvements and maintenance that was implied mainly by neverending changes in MacOS...

• mezzurias
    mezzurias Member Posts: 27 Helper
    edited June 2022
    Options

Because that's how companies get left behind. How many companies are no longer here because they could't keep up with the times. It's not rocket science, customers are fickle and if they find something new and convenient they will move, there is no loyalty. It's up to the company/developer/provider to move where the customers are going. This is like business 101.

By not providing what the customers want, when they want it they leave room for more nimble competitors to come and eat their lunch. That's why a lot of large software (like Adobe) companies are moving to subscription models, less chance customers will move elsewhere if they have to keep paying rent just open their projects.

• Kubrak
    Options

Most of companies did not hurry with VST3. The demand from users has started quite recently... And NI has most plugins VST3 already.... Not being AS and COVID, it would be probably sooner....

I guess it is easier to move to another product, if one uses subscription. No financial investment is needed to switch to another product.

• Filip Hoško
    Filip Hoško Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I'm a programmer but also a co-owner of a software company and I usually do a lot of management/planning. From my point of view relying on something to be working while the technology is moving on is incredibly short-sighted. I'm totally aware of the fact that you have to plan your resources (people-power) wisely since you'll spend time and money. But if you look across the landscape you see that NI is sticking out in this "problem area" (M1 compatibility) like a sore thumb. There are other major companies who already have native M1 compatibility for all or substantial amount of their products for quite some time. Apple provided M1 development machines from summer 2020 if I'm not mistaken. That will be almost 2 years now. The company I co-own has only <10 developers but the (very small) teams built several applications during those 2 years from the ground up - this also encompasses business analysis, analysis of technical requirements, UI design, testing and deployment apart from the actual coding. These were web and mobile apps but the projects were non-trivial. I can't believe that company such as NI couldn't do better as it did with this. I don't see behind the curtain and I don't want to be judgemental (there's really no point in doing that) but to me it seems like a poor management decision or they really underestimated this. Now they're being roasted by musicians who work on Macs and want to upgrade (or already did) and use a lot of NI stuff. They look incompetent and I bet that's something they're not very much proud of and it wasn't part of their marketing plan (at least I hope so). It's pretty sad to read the comments here and I hope NI will be able to deliver the updated apps soon without burning out the developers.

• mezzurias
    mezzurias Member Posts: 27 Helper
    Options

The demand didn't just happen recently as you put it. Ableton of all companies was one of the last of the major DAWs to support VST3, but once that was in users started to expect it to be there. So it's been at least 4 years at this point. The only other major DAW that doesn't have VST3 support is Reason and their financial situation was in such dire straits that they needed a new CEO to come shake things up. Like NI they rested on their laurels and basically invited customers to look elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.