Native Instruments Apple Silicon M1 Compatibility

Comments

• Jae
    Jae Member Posts: 2 Member

any update on M1 products???? kind of annoying that I can't run my NI software and hardware that I paid good money for because its the only software left that isn't fully native. I'm not running my DAWs in Rosetta just for NI.

Slate Digital, SoundToys, Izotope, Melodyne, Valhalla, Waves, Brainworks/Plugin alliance, Eventide, Atruia, Applied Acoustics, Ableton, Pro Tools, Cubase Spitfire, U-he. ALL WORK NATIVELY NOW, but not native instruments...come on guys.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

NI was aware of AS - NI said… facts talks opposite. There’s still time NI, you can do it!

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

@Calagan

NI didn't do nothing since ages regarding VST3, resizing, CPU optimization, GUI modernization, new synths etc. etc.

Most plugins are VST3 and what about Massive X synth?

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 413 Guru

Kontakt is native, so this one is sorted for me. But I need to be able to load all my NI expansions with total of more than 1000 drum kits into something native 😁

So far, neither Battery 4, nor Maschine is native. I’m still on Intel, but I want to upgrade from Mac mini to Studio and NI is holding me back 🙄

I don’t have HiDPI display (49” at 5120x1440) and Battery 4 interface is the size of a post stamp 🤣

I would love to use Battery instead of Machine in a DAW (not using Machine for sequencing anymore), but Battery doesn’t have kit previews…

Oh well, I’m only 51, I actually can wait another 10 years or so for NI 😀

• Damn
    Damn Member Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2022

Edit: offtopic discussion above was removed from this thread - this is not an reaction to Mr. Repetowski's post ;)

Could you please also keep the focus on NIs M1 compatibility... would be great if you could discuss this elsewhere...

Thanks!

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,114 admin
    edited May 2022

You are right these discussions are completely off topic and we'll clean this up right away.

@ everyone - this thread is to get insights about our progress with M1 and to ask questions specifically about Apple Silicon (in relation to NI's portfolio). This thread is NOT to discuss broadly what Apple Silicon is about or the differences with other types of products. If you're missing a comment it was either deleted or merged here

• Damn
    Damn Member Posts: 10 Member

Thanks Matt! 👍️

• cjacoby78
    cjacoby78 Member Posts: 13 Member

To come back to M1 compatibility … I experience a lot of problems with Arkhis running within Komplete in Logic under Rosetta, especially when reopening a previously closed project. I systematically have to reload (double klick in Komplete) my Arkhis patch otherwise my project keeps dropping out even with 1024 samples…

Anyone experiencing the same? Running everything latest on an M1 Max Mac Studio.

Thanks…

• heinrichz
    heinrichz Member Posts: 24 Member

I really think NI has to get it together now with making synths like Massive X and also Reaktor Apple Silicon native (no pun intended). As an educator who teaches Komplete instruments I realize that it becomes harder not to justify students preferring to get Arturia or even Roland Cloud synths. The latter actually sound as good as some of the analog modelled NI synths, which are obviously also top notch but heavy on the cpu. That's why we need them updated now. Furthermore Komplete Now seems to have stagnated and more serious programmable instruments need to be added and not just more of the player stuff or content. Is this what happens when private equity buys out a company? The last thing they should want is squander their traditional core image as a serious cutting edge synth software company.

• mickeyl
    mickeyl Member Posts: 58 Helper

I can feel the pain of the software developers. We're now [almost two years](https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/) into the transition to Apple silicon, meanwhile millions of devices have shipped, and the compatibility of certain vendors is still [almost pathetic](https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/de/articles/360014683497-Kompatibilität-mit-Apple-Silicon-M1-). This shows the incredible amount of _technicle debt_ that NI's software platform has accumulated over the years.

That said, since a huge percentage of halfway modern software can run simple by a recompile with modern tools, there must be some really old and/or finicky layers.

If they didn't manage to do it by now, I'm afraid we're in for a much longer wait. I'd be pleasantly surprised, if it comes otherwise.

• Kubrak

It wouldn't be just recompile for a new target even if NI had new codebase. For example Massive X is pretty new, so it shoul be easy. But it needs AVX instructions for which AS does not have equivalent. Smaller or bigger parts of code has to be rewritten. Maybe even code in assembler.....

And Reaktor.... Yes, it has most probably old codebase, but even if it were fresh new.... It could not be simply recompiled for a new target. Reaktor is also sort of compiler to x86. Compiler to AS has to be added.

Beside that, there might be many legal problems. Parts of code, libraries might be written by other subjects. If there is also code in assembler NI just cannot rewrite it to AS assembler. They need permition to do so.

• TheJohnNewton
    TheJohnNewton Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
  • Tobsen
    Tobsen Member Posts: 6 Member

The older products already had the transition from PPC to Intel ans 32Bit to 64Bit, so NI should have some knowledge.

• Kubrak
    edited May 2022

Does it apply to Reaktor? Did PPC used AVX instructions or any other instruction set that were used on PPC and were not on x86.

And transition from PPC->x86 is quite another story than x86->AS. There was x86 code for Win that time, so transition from PPC to x86 was just about putting PPC code into the trash and using existing x86 instead. The rest has been done in interface and OS layer of code. This kind of transition is pretty streamlined.

The opposite x86 to AS is somehow more difficult. There is no NI AS code already working and thoroughly tested... All has to be freshly written and thoroughly tested....

And conversion from 32 bit to 64 bit? It is in most cases just simple recompilation. Just few parts of code that depend on word size may need to be changed.

• Artcutech
    Artcutech Member Posts: 2 Member

Can someone from NI confirm that an M1 native version of Battery 4 is being worked on? It makes me sad that I have to go to alternatives like TAL-drum and remake all my kits when I should just be able to use Battery also natively. I don’t mind paying for a Battery 5 if released or whatever for M1 support, but I just need to know that Battery is someday going to be updated with M1 native support, again can someone confirm that it’s being worked on?

This discussion has been closed.